Author Topic: Completed Why order a baptism record 69 years after??  (Read 3932 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Why order a baptism record 69 years after??
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 December 08 14:04 GMT (UK) »
There is no mention of the requirement to be baptised before getting married in the "Book of Common Prayer". However it does say that "It is convenient that the new married persons should receive the Holy Communion at the time of their Marriage, or at the first opportunity after their Marriage", and you can't receive Communion unless you have been baptised.
There was an Act of Parliament of 1822 which required the parties, if they were over 21, and planned to marry by licence, to supply copies of their baptismal entries from the parish register. However this Act was short lived and was repealed in 1823 by two further Acts.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Why order a baptism record 69 years after??
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 December 08 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Marriage of the Unbaptised
Subject to the provisions relating to divorced persons there is an absolute right for people to be married after banns in their parish church or parish centre of worship. There is no requirement that either or both parties should be baptised. However, a priest should inquire whether the unbaptised persons can in good conscience take part in a Christian marriage service. In all cases of doubt, the Bishop should be consulted. Where the unbaptised person disclaims belief in the Christian faith, or is a practising member of a non-Christian religion, then the matter should always be referred to the Bishop. For marriage by Common Licence, the House of Bishops of the General Synod has determined that, being a privilege of the Church, a Licence will not be issued unless at least one of the parties is baptised.

http://www.london.anglican.org/regulations/marriage.html

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Completed Why order a baptism record 69 years after??
« Reply #20 on: Monday 08 December 08 19:09 GMT (UK) »
I am positive it was required, my own mother had to get the baptism certificate along with her birth certificate because she got married out of her normal parish.

You had to prove you were baptised a RC or a Cof E before you could marry in those churches.

I know this is so because her baptism certificate has a different first name on it  to the birth certificate and she had never know what name she had been baptised until that event.

My Grandmother had sent her to the church with her godmother and the priest wouldn't baptise her with the chosen name so the Godmother had her baptised with an acceptable one which my mother never ever in all her life used.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 08 December 08 22:17 GMT (UK) »
When I was married 45 years ago away from the parish where I lived.  I did not produce either.  In fact when I arranged for the banns to be called in my local church I discussed with the vicar the fact that I normally attended a nearby church of a different denomination and he was quite happy with the situation.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 19:19 GMT (UK) »
I do not know what the Church of England does, I was only stating what was required for my parents to be married out of my mothers Parish. many many years ago in 1929.