Author Topic: Stalag 8 Prisoner of War  (Read 16384 times)

Offline angelasindyreid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stalag 8 Prisoner of War
« on: Tuesday 11 November 08 12:20 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather HORACE WILLIAM ROBERT MITCHELL went missing in North Africa approx date november 1942, we have a copy of a letter he sent home stating he was captured by the Italians and we know he was later transfered to STALAG 8 we think B, he was in the 2nd battalion of the Hampshire Regiment.
 He once told a story of escape meeting up with the americans and with their help liberated the POW Camp. He returned home to Britain in May 1945. Does any one know anything about this time? 

He was awarded the 1939/1945 Star, African star & 1st Army Clasp ( what is this ) and the War Medal 1939/1945.

His nick name was SMASHER MITCHELL  as he was a boxing camp
Any info on this time in the war would be greatly appreciated.  Thank You
Angela Reid

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
Re: Stalag 8 Prisoner of War
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela

That 1st Army Clasp was awarded to those who had been soldiers who fought with the 1st Army between 8 November 1942 and 12 May 1943. The 1st Army took part in Operation Torch  on 8th November 1942, with the 2nd Battalion of the Hampshires landing at Algiers on 21st November.

However, by the first week of December the Battalion had been caught by an enemy attack and surrounded. Though it tried to escape back to allied lines it lost a lot of men and it is probably that that was when he was captured.

If he filled in a POW Liberation questionnaire it will be in, I belive, the National Archives file WO 344/221

K

Offline angelasindyreid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 17:45 GMT (UK) »
 :D Thank you so much, that is great information, I will look at that section in the National Archives, I don't know much about army numbers where would I be able to find more information on the 1st Army? ???
He was in the 7th Battalion before the 2nd of the Hampshire Regiment.

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela

The 7th Batt was a home based battalion which did not enter combat until after D-Day.

The First Army, in WW2, was specifically created for the landings in North Africa, and so one won't really learn much about them before his capture (which was early in the campaign).

However, a good introduction to the subject is Desperate Venture: The Story of Operation Torch by Norman Gelb. Now, if I could just find my copy I will look up any details.

K

Offline angelasindyreid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 11:39 GMT (UK) »
that is great have been on wikipedia and found some great information regarding the 2nd battalion's involvement,
it was rather early that he was captured he was reported missing on the 3rd of december so fits in with the move into TEBOURBA where they encountered heavy shelling.
Still no further with his POW story but am still digging.
thanks for all information as he never talked about the war at all only this story once to my mum when he was drunk .

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela,
               my records show a Pte H W Mitchell 5506347 of the Hampshire Rgt as
 being a P.O.W. in Italy . The Camp was PG 82 Lanterina.

Brian
Prisoners of War. North Africa,Italy and Germany

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela,
               my records show a Pte H W Mitchell 5506347 of the Hampshire Rgt as
 being a P.O.W. in Italy . The Camp was PG 82 Lanterina.

Brian

Angela,
            the same man was in Stalag 344 Lamsdorf (P O W No. 30547) which had originally been designated as Stalag 8B. With the rank of Pte. he would have been in one of the many work Camps based on 344.
Did he ever mention anything regarding the whole Camp being put on a long march of several days in early 1945.

Brian

Offline angelasindyreid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 January 09 19:49 GMT (UK) »
hi there thank you very much my mum and uncle will appreciate this very much, what record have you looked into to find out his number ?  we have a telegram from him which states he is being treated well, but nothing else so we did not even know his number!  , he never mentioned the long march, am i right in thinking that would have been the death march? he only ever mentioned it once to mum late one night shortly before he died, his wife - my nan - did not know of this story at all.
i now can identify his war record form the national archeives.

oncew again thank you very much
angela

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 January 09 09:46 GMT (UK) »

Hi,
       there is a File at the National Archives that lists all P.O.W. in Italy as of August 1944. The P.O.W. in Germany information comes from a Text Book.

During early 1945 there were many such"Death Marches". It was a futile attempt by the Germans to stop the P.O.W. from being released.

He may have made a report when he was released and if so it will be at T.N.A. in the Document class WO344.

Brian