Author Topic: John Anderson RNVR Auchterarder  (Read 44604 times)

Offline kirkmichael

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Anderson RNVR Auchterarder
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 March 09 18:19 GMT (UK) »
And then there's the 1885 marriage of John ANDERSON, Brewer, 24, parents John ANDERSON, Farmer (deceased) and Ann ANDERSON  MS  EADIE, to Jessie SCOTLAND  Widow  30, parents George RAE  (deceased) and Janet RAE  MS  TAYLOR..................

Wullie

Offline sula sgeir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Anderson RNVR Auchterarder
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the postings 8 and 9 with further information adding to the  'threads'.

I'm looking to scan in some photographs of John Anderson. For instance there is a studio portrait  of John and his two older sisters ( Margaret and Jenny/Janet ) taken, I was told, shortly after the death of their mother. The y are dressed as for a period of mourning ; John is probably about two and ahalf and  not really aware of the solemnity of the situation whereas the girls are quite sad looking.

Other photos in his later life and quite a few in his photo album taken on the SY Sunbeam.

The Sunbeam was broken up in the 30s, but there exists an engineering model in the Durbar room in the museum at Hastings in Sussex. It looks very similar to the photographs in John's album so could be the same ship / steam yacht.

It was previously owned by the Brassey family of the Normanhurst Estates in East Sussex, and they went on a round the world trip in the 1870s, recorded by Lady Brassey in her book 'Voyage in the Sunbeam'. There are originals of this book in the same museum. I also have an original passed down thru my family. I understand the Brasseys had been railway engineers in South America, and later members of the family represented Kent constituencies in Parliament. 

Offline b1b2j3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 June 09 09:59 BST (UK) »
Not to muddy all below and above. I have documentaion for descendants & ancestors. My Family is-
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Burden, Bannatyne, Eadie, Dalgeish, Thomson, Rae, Muir, McCartney, McArthur

Offline sula sgeir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 12:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the last posting and a further 'thread' in the picture.

In his journal John Anderson refers to his second voyage to sea. An interesting line is ;

" Very few people saw us sail [from Grangemouth]. Mr W Eadie the owner was one of them and another was George Scotland who was amazed to see such a small ship setting out on such a voyage [ to Vancouver]. The engineers of a ship never see much of the arrival and departure from port, they are too busy down below.

Getting right away we soon passed under the Forth Bridge and settled down for whatever was in store for us."

I'm planning to post all of the journal, which I think he typed up during the time he lived at Ravenswood Farm, Cumbernauld. 

Offline sula sgeir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 12:20 BST (UK) »
The date of departure from Grangemouth would have been early 1911. 

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 October 09 13:28 BST (UK) »
Sula sgeir has asked me to attach the photograph for John Anderson

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sula sgeir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 October 09 16:29 BST (UK) »
In the photograph John Anderson is second from the right.

It is in post card format and on the back says ' The Stanley Park Photographers, Vancouver, B.C. Negative no 7111 '

The typed message says  " Dear Cousin, You'll be glad to hear Your Nephew John is leaving here about the first week in the year for dear AULD SCOTLAND "

No dates are given.

I have read recently that Stanley Park Vancouver is being or has been given a 'makeover'. The management there might be interested to see this photo, so some one out there might like to draw their attention to the record of John Anderson's visit.

Who were his companioins on that day in 1910 / 11 ? Perhaps the man on his left was the Chief Engineer as JA was the Third Engineer on the vessel.

Any car buffs out there able to identify the car - we're certainly in the early days of motoring !

Offline sula sgeir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 15:47 BST (UK) »
Sula sgeir has asked me to attach the photograph for John Anderson

John Anderson is second from the right (as we look at the photograph). He is at Stanley Park Vancouver.
Who are his companions? The man on his left could be the Chief Engineer, as John Anderson was the Third Engineer - it being only his second voyage to sea.

Any car buffs out there tell us the make an d model ? We are talking early days of motoring here - 1911 !

Offline sula sgeir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 15 October 09 10:38 BST (UK) »
The photograph was taken at Stanley Park, Vancouver probably early 1911, following the voyage from Grangemouth. John Anderson is the second on the right (looking at the photo). Who are the others ? Perhaps the Chief engineer is the man on his left, and the other two are the driver and 'shotgun'.

The photograph has been set up as a post card and on the back JA is addressing his Cousin (no name given) saying that he looks forward to being back in Scotland. There are no dates on the card.

I have read that Stanley Park has recently been 'refurbished' (did it suffer some storm damage ?) so if anyone from the Park is reading this, here is an early image.

And what of the car - we are talking very early days of motoring here so are there any car buffs out there who can identify the vehicle. Interestingly my other grandfather's brother went (from Glasgow) to work in the auto industry in Detroit but I think that was in the early 1920s.