Author Topic: William Penman - Clackmannan  (Read 8380 times)

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
William Penman - Clackmannan
« on: Tuesday 11 November 08 19:13 GMT (UK) »
My direct relative William Penman was son of Michael Penman and Mary Bauchop (various spellings :)).  An IGI extracted baptism shows him to have been baptised  in Clackmannan in 1820 and in the 1851 Census he was 31. He went on to marry Janet Syme/Sim in 1852 - and as they say the rest is history  :)

When researching a little while ago I realised that William had had an elder brother called William - who I presumed had died and thus my William was given the same name.

However earlier today I discovered that the older William - baptised six years earlier in 1814 - was still alive when my William was baptised.

Has anybody come across this?  I've been at this game for some time but it is a first for me.   The only thing that occurs to me is that the older one was expected to die in 1820 - but didn't, of course.

The older one marred an Elizabeth Bernard in 1844. I believe that they had two children Michael and Jean Hunter before 1851.   Again IGI provides extracted entries.   I believe I have found the children in 1851 with their grandparents at Vennel - is that correct? - in Clackmannan.   But I cannot find their parents.

In any MI inscriptions for the area could someone check if they died beween 1847 when Jean was born and say 1851, please?

Regards
Reiver

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: William Penman - Clackmannan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reiver

Unusual, like you I have never seen a similar situation where name was used twice with living children...

Have you looked at the original image for 1851 to check the marital status of William b. 1820. My immediate thoughts are that possibly the first William, as you have always thought, likely died shortly after birth. I would also speculate that the marriage that you have found in 1844 could well be that of 'your' William b. 1820 who then shows with his parents in 1851 and his two young children Michael, named after his father, and daughter Jean. 'William b. 1820 then remarries in 1852 Jane Syme.

Sometimes you are lucky and death certs show previous spouses. Also, have you followed through the two children Michael and Jean? Just wondered whether William b. 1820 went on to call any of his children Michael....which would brings us back in a loop  ;D

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 20:56 GMT (UK) »
That took a while, the index has mangled the surname  ::). Going by the births for children on IGI for William and Janet, this looks like them in 1861 - I'll leave transcript as is:

William Nessman 41, Engineman , b. Clackmannan 
Janet Nessman 37, b. Inverkeithing, Fife
Jean Nessman 14, daughter, b. Clackmannan
Christain Nessman 7, b. Inverkeithing, Fife
James Nessman 5, b. Inverkeithing, Fife
Ann Nessman 11 Months, b. Ballingry, Fife

Address: 33 xxx, Ballingry

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 21:02 GMT (UK) »
And I think the final verification  :'(  There is a death showing in Ballingry in 1859 for a Michael Penman, aged 14. Mother's surname differs from what you have, LYONS, but there should be enough on the certificate to let you verify William b. 1820 as father.

Monica

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica
In my notes I had made one to myself to check the 1851 census details as the ones I had were from A*y and I had not got relationships.  :)

So I did what you suggested and found that William was a Widower  :) :) :) :)
Now I need to look at that DC for Michael in 1859.   What I might expect is that William's (first) wife - Miss Lyons? -had died.   We shall see.

I mentioned before that I had today found evidence that the first William (C1814) was still alive).   This was brought to my notice when I found a relevant tree on the A*y W*d Project.  The provider had linked a member of her family to this older William.

I'll report what transpires.
Thanks again.
Regards
Reiver

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello All
As Monica suggested I viewed the image of the DC for Michael Penman in 1859. He died from Typhoid Fever aged 14 on the 13th July.   His parents were William and Janet Penman (maiden name Syme).  William was the informant.  I noted that somebody not in the know may have read Syme as Lyons - which is what appears in the Index.   William married Janet Syme in 1852 - when Michael was about 6.

Michael was born on 1st April 1845 (and baptised at Clackmannan) but parents were William Penman, Engineman and Elizabeth Bernard.

In order to 'sign this off'  I'd like to:-
a.   Find a death / burial of William Penman between 1814 when he was baptised and 1820 when the second William was baptised.
b.  Find a death / burial of Elizabeth Penman (nee Bernard) between 1845 and 1851 - when William was a widower.
Probably both events in - or near - Clackmannan.
If anybody can help I would be very grateful but I shall probably get a copy of the burial index from the Central Scotland FHS anyway.

Regards
Reiver

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reiver

Hopefully someone may be able to provide the info.

In the absence of that at present, remember you have the 1851 census entry for William, 31, showing as a widower with his two young children Michael and Jane at home with his parents. The two children's births are also confirmed as OPR extracts.

Hope you find something to be able close things off.

Monica :)

Offline elisabethroberts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 November 08 06:39 GMT (UK) »
Reiver,
  I have the Clackmannan Parish Burials Index. The period covered is 1832-1854 so no William Penman in it, I'm afraid, but there's an Elizabeth. I'll list all the Penmans mentioned:-

PENMAN(no first name) , child of David, buried 18 Dec.1832
PENMAN, Elizabeth (other name Bernard), wife of William Penman,labourer, buried 26th July 1848
PENMAN, James, child of Hugh,labourer, buried 7th Feb. 1854
PENMAN, Margaret, child of Hugh,labourer, buried 25th Oct.1853
PENMAN, Michael, engine keeper, buried 18th May 1853

Elisabeth

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 November 08 09:21 GMT (UK) »
And for completeness, this looks to be Janet Syme at home with family in the 1851 census:

James Syme 52, gen. lab., b. Auchterarder, Perth
Christian Syme 50, b. Inverkeithing
Janet Syme 22, house servant, b. Inverkeithing
John Syme 20, b. Inverkeithing
Christian Chrichton 10, b. Inverkeithing

Address: Back Close, North Queensferry, Inverkeithing

Reiver, it's probably the way I am searching on A***y, but I can only find one William son of Michael on the OneWorldTree, and that is 'your' William, showing as born 16 Jun 1820 - Clackmannan.

The death registration information for young Michael I think you will find is just one of those things that happen on registration, where father William stated the name of his second wife for Michael's mother.

Monica  :)