Author Topic: William Penman - Clackmannan  (Read 8379 times)

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: William Penman - Clackmannan
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 November 08 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both Monica and Elisabeth very much indeed.

I found the two William's on A*y when I googled "Michael Penman" "Mary Bauchop"
 - the two Williams' parents.   I got a few hits but one of them was headed A*Y World Tree Project.   Hope this helps.  If not, I'll try and send the URL.

I had Michael, Mary, William (1820) and three grandchildren in 1851 to begin with but the SP image gave the eureka :) moment ie William was a widower. Of the three grandchildren Michael was 6 and Jean was 4 - Catherine was 19 but we will leave her for now.  Michael we know about.  He died in 1859 from Typhoid Fever and was William's son by Elizabeth Hardy who died in 1848 - thank you Elisabeth  :)
However I think that Jean may not have been William's daughter but his youngest brother Hugh's daughter.   

That is because IGI shows rwo extracted births / baptisms:-
Jane Penman born 14th May 1846   Clackmannan Parents Hugh Penman & Jane Nicol.
Jane Hunter Penman born 27th April 1847 Clackmannan Parents William Penman & Elizabeth Bernard.

On census date 1851 (30th March?) Hugh's Jane would have been 4 years old whereas William's Jane would have been 3 years old.

Thanks also Monica for finding Janet Syme ib 1851 in Inverkeithing. I have her birth /baptism in Perth from SP.  She was born 1st February 1827.  Her parents were John Syme (deceased at baptism) and Janet MacFarlane.

More to resolver :) :) :)
Again thank you both
Regards
Reiver

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 November 08 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Reiver

You know us RCs - we get stuck on detail  ;D

Janet Syme shows on the 1851 census as daughter of James Syme and Christian with a birth place of Inverkeithing. This fits the names of her children following her marriage to William and their 1861 census entry that we have, with Christian and James being the prominent names.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 November 08 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Monica
That's put the cat amongst the pigeons  :) :) :) :)

I thought that I'd got Janet Syme's birth / baptism in Perth to a John Syme and Elizabeth McFarlane. 

Jane as Jane Penman died in 1888 aged 60 ar Bothkennar.   Her DC fibes her father as John Syme but the informant obviously didn't know his grandmother's Christian name or maiden surname.
Ar death in 1888 Janet was 60.
In the preceding census returns she was:
1881 aged 55
1871 aged 45
1861 aged 37
1851 aged 22
All  born Inverkeithing.

As you quite rightly say her 1851 parents names - James and Christian - are carried through into the family.  And Perth is probably too far from Inverkeithing for ger to make that kind of mistake in her birthplace.

Thanks Monica.  I may take this up on the Fife board

Regards
Reiver

Offline susan Peat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 November 08 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Reiver,
I am related to this family through Margaret(1802) who married David Kirk(1822) if you would like to contact me off line I can fill you in.
Susan