Author Topic: 1918 Photograph of Royal Army Medical Corps England Football Team  (Read 9207 times)

Offline Commedagh

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1918 Photograph of Royal Army Medical Corps England Football Team
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 January 15 15:50 GMT (UK) »
I have tried to upload a picture of my grandfather Patrick Diamond who went to France in 1914 with the AMC  . He served with an Albert Prince and was a keen footballer. The picture shows football boots on the ground. I think the photo was taken about 1913.  Let me know if the picture uploaded.  I have no details of his service as the files were destroyed in the blitz

Offline dobbo83

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1918 Photograph of Royal Army Medical Corps England Football Team
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 17:45 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandfather is Leiutenant Douglas Bernard Stimson. Of the HAC, then the Worcs Regt, then attached to the RAMC in 1918.

Honestly cant believe we have found this photo. Its made my day, i have some pictures of him when he was serving in Mi5 in WW2 and childrens photos from the 1890's but to find this when so many people said that he was a very good sportsman is just incredible.

It had previously been thought in the family that he had actually played for Blackpool F.C, perhaps this may have led to that possibility, or had in some way superseded this story.

If you have any questions at all please just ask.

Best regards

Will

My great grandfather served in WW1 and was one of the lucky ones to come back home safely. I have in my possession a photograph to commemorate an international charity football match which was played between England (RAMC) and Scotland (RAMC). The match was played on 2nd January 1918 and the result was 1-1. The photograph is mounted on card and lists all the players. They were Monaghan, Bates, Moulson, Edge, Kinsella, Grice, Joseph Henry Southern, Ralphs, Lieutenant Stimson (Captain), Moorcroft and Eccleston. Others shown on the photo were their trainer (no name given), R. Rawcliff Esq, R. G. Barlow Esq and J. J. Lewis Esq. (Referee) - the photo was taken by a Blackpool photographer. This message has been posted to see if there's anyone out there who might be a descendant of one of these chaps and would like to see the photo  :D