Author Topic: LEITH, Jones & Farquharson marriage  (Read 12000 times)

Offline SOFEE

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LEITH, Jones & Farquharson marriage
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 13 November 08 11:09 GMT (UK) »
I know I'm clutching at straws here......but I'm thinking 'outside' the box as a friend is always telling me....the Doyannah.......at a long shot could it be Maryannah and might fit in with the John Jones that Tom found ???or is that just wishful thinking rather than outside the box ;D

sheena :D
Caithness/Sutherland;-Mackay/Mckay, Manson, Scott, Fraser,
Ayrshire;-Hood, McCrone, McCallum, Dunlop
Dundee;-O'Fee
Co Antrim;- O'Fee, Marks
Glenbervie,Kincardine;-Officer

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 13 November 08 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Thinking outside the box or the room or the....is vital in genealogy - specially when you are stuck  ;D

I've spent a while now looking at the English and Welsh censuses and nothing immediate is jumping out. The problem is also how common Jones is in England, never mind Wales. The 1841 is the key one to try and find the household together and that is the most limited one in term of search fields...not an easy search this one....and we were doing so well!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SOFEE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 13 November 08 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Thinking outside the box or the room or the....is vital in genealogy - specially when you are stuck  ;D

I've spent a while now looking at the English and Welsh censuses and nothing immediate is jumping out. The problem is also how common Jones is in England, never mind Wales. The 1841 is the key one to try and find the household together and that is the most limited one in term of search fields...not an easy search this one....and we were doing so well!

Monica

It is a very common name and considering I've only been doing this for a friend as a surprise over the last three days I think we've done remarkable......and I've found a real live relative too for him.....but he's none the wiser.....in fact I gave him some info ;D.....I just took this on board to get a 'rest' from my own tree.....its too confusing....Mackays marrying Mckays Marring Mackays etc etc etc all Caithness and Sutherland ......so this makes a pleasant change ;D
and of course I had an expert like yourself helping out.......its appreciated

sheena
Dundee;-O'Fee
Co Antrim;- O'Fee, Marks

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 13 November 08 13:51 GMT (UK) »
I know I'm clutching at straws here......but I'm thinking 'outside' the box as a friend is always telling me....the Doyannah.......at a long shot could it be Maryannah and might fit in with the John Jones that Tom found ???or is that just wishful thinking rather than outside the box ;D

Hi Sheena & Monica,

I think same as Monica that it could be "Diana" or similar, try saying "Diana" in a Irish accent like on Father Ted, this may have been said to the Enumerator who spelt it as it sounded. Having said that, last night I searched on Ancestry with John Jones and all variations of Diana, Dyana, Doyannah, and no results.

Tom

PS Sometimes I cannot even see the box, far less think outside of it.
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline SOFEE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 13 November 08 14:03 GMT (UK) »

Hi Sheena & Monica,

I think same as Monica that it could be "Diana" or similar, try saying "Diana" in a Irish accent like on Father Ted, this may have been said to the Enumerator who spelt it as it sounded. Having said that, last night I searched on Ancestry with John Jones and all variations of Diana, Dyana, Doyannah, and no results.

Tom

PS Sometimes I cannot even see the box, far less think outside of it.

I'm not too good on the Irish accent but I see what you mean........my adolescent  son has just given me the strangest looks as I sit hear saying Doyanna over and over with Irish ascent ....lol..lol....you could be right Tom....like you I'm ploughing my way through Ancestry but so far nothing jumps out the box and says its me! ;D thanks for trying I appreciate all you and Monica's help ;D

sheena
Dundee;-O'Fee
Co Antrim;- O'Fee, Marks

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 14 November 08 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sheena and Tom

Reply from SP this morning, as we had surmised. Parents of Edward from the 1859 MC:

Edward's father is John Jones, Farm Bailiff and his mother is Doyannah Jones maiden name  Quinlain.

Very unusual- I'd say a spelling of Diana

We're stuck for a while here I think  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SOFEE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Friday 14 November 08 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sheena and Tom

Reply from SP this morning, as we had surmised. Parents of Edward from the 1859 MC:

Edward's father is John Jones, Farm Bailiff and his mother is Doyannah Jones maiden name  Quinlain.

Very unusual- I'd say a spelling of Diana

We're stuck for a while here I think  :-\

Monica

Thanks Monica ....I must agree with you on the spelling of Dianna ::) you and Tom have been a great help ......thanks to you both......As for SP I'm still waiting to hear from them ??? ???

cheers for now
Sheena ;D
Dundee;-O'Fee
Co Antrim;- O'Fee, Marks