Author Topic: Stonehaven baptism - Laing  (Read 3721 times)

Offline kerob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stonehaven baptism - Laing
« on: Wednesday 12 November 08 04:38 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the baptism of James Laing about 1814.  He was sent to Australia as a convict, his precognition papers state Stonehaven as his native place. The LDS only have Church records of St. James' Episcopal Church, Stonehaven, 1756-1789.  Any ideas? 

Offline Isles

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Stonehaven baptism - Laing
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 09:52 GMT (UK) »
I searched ScotlandsPeople for his baptism in Kincardineshire between 1810 and 1818 but he does not appear to have been baptised.  The Fetteresso baptisms run from 1620 to 1643 and 1716 to 1854

1927 - 2010

Burness; Dickson; Moncur; Bowman

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerob

Not seeing anything either  :-\ I assume this may be your site http://jamesobrien.id.au/genealogy/james-laing-isabella-mclean/
Have you been able to find either a marriage or death cert for James?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Isles & Monica for the search.  
Isn't it unusual for that period of time for a baby/child not to be baptised?  
The precognition papers are the only ones which ever mentioned Stonehaven as being his native place, all other records in Australia (including death certs & convict freedom papers) relating to him state Aberdeen as his native place but this could mean Aberdeen itself or anywhere in Aberdeenshire!

Kerrie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerrie

Not usual for a child not be baptised at that time (just like today  ::)). A number of reasons why you are not finding anything for James' birth/christening:

- family did not belonged to the Established Church of Scotland (Presbyterian). The Old Parish Registers entries that show on IGI and Scotlands People are in the main Presbyterian Register entries. Other breakaway religions and for example, Roman Catholic entries, are not included.

- it cost money to register, not all families did.

- his birth could have been registered, but registers may have been lost/destroyed over the years.

Was there nothing on his parents on his certificates in Australia?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 November 08 06:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica,
James was married Presbyterian & his children were also christened Presbyterian. 
His death certificate has his parents as James (a farmer) & Jane nee Campbell.  I have looked at the Scotlands people for a marriage using all parishes, as again, there was nothing at Kincardineshire but there are no marriages for James Laing to Jane Campbell.  Perhaps the names are incorrect, (I have found death certificate information to be unreliable), a search using many variables of the names from 1790 to 1815 only turned up 2 matches –Laing to Campbell but not in Aberdeen.
Also tried finding a birth for James in Aberdeen abt 1814 but when Scots people was cross-referenced with LDS site the parents names are nothing like suggested.   
I have also tried looking for reflection of names in his children – the only ones who do not fit in with his wife’s family are William, (first born so a possibility as his fathers name), Jane & Maryanne
Feel like I am beating my head against a wall! This one may have to stay shelved for awhile – patience is a virtue, wish I had some... Patience that is!! ::)

Kerrie