Author Topic: Where now?  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where now?
« on: Wednesday 12 November 08 13:56 GMT (UK) »
I have details of my great uncle who died from wounds received in 1915.  I have his birth and death certificates, medal card etc. but would like to find out when and where he was wounded, (which battle) and when he was brought back to England, he died in King George Hospital, Stamford Street.  Where would I find medical records and service records if they haven't been destroyed?  He was a sergeant in the 3rd Btn KRRC of Winchester Barracks.  Would I be so lucky as to find any records in Winchester.
TUBBS: Fair Oak, Hants.  Woodlands, Horton, Wimborne, Dorset.<br />OLIVER: Chilton Candover, Basingstoke, Bishopstoke,  Fair Oak, Woolston, Hants.<br />RUFFELL: Bighton, Alresford area, Hants.<br />MAIDMENT: Horton, Dorset.  MACKENZIE Bishopstoke, Hants.  BARNES, Fisherton Delamare, Wilts.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where now?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Service Recrords up to Surname N have just been put on Ancestry which is free to view at the moment.
His local paper may have details in it? The unit War Diary available at Kew will tell you where his batallion was operating at the time of wounding.
If you have his Service Number and name could you post it on here other people may be able to give advice.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 14:06 GMT (UK) »
http://www.1914-1918.net/krrc.htm

This will give you a rough idea...If he was wounded  in France or Salonika?
Have you got his CWGC entry on the debt of Honour?

Ady :)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Very many thanks.  His name is  Sgt.Frank William Cawte No. 2350.  On his medal card where is says Theatre of War is (1) France 20.12.14.  He died on 3rd October 1915 and is on the CWGC site.   I would have thought his death would have been in the local papers and there are three possibilities but,  having tried to trace more recent local papers for someone else without success, and had a look for Franks local papers also without success, I don't have a clue of where to look now.  I know they are not in local libraries or HRO.
TUBBS: Fair Oak, Hants.  Woodlands, Horton, Wimborne, Dorset.<br />OLIVER: Chilton Candover, Basingstoke, Bishopstoke,  Fair Oak, Woolston, Hants.<br />RUFFELL: Bighton, Alresford area, Hants.<br />MAIDMENT: Horton, Dorset.  MACKENZIE Bishopstoke, Hants.  BARNES, Fisherton Delamare, Wilts.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Ive just checked my Soldiers Died Database and it states the following
Sgt Cawte He was serving with 9th Battalion when he died.So he may have transferred somewhere amongst it all.

Ill have a look and see what they were involved in.
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 14:46 GMT (UK) »
He definately went to France with 3rd Batt as date of Entry tallies up.CWGC has him as third Batt but Soldiers Died has him as 9th Batt Confusing! ???
If he was 9th it could have happened around Hooge in August 1915.

The truth will no doubt surface!
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I'm grateful for any information I can gather about him.  Like many people, my grandfather would never talk about the war and I only discovered his half brother, Frank, a couple of years ago.  My great grandmother married twice and her first marriage produced two boys who were toddlers when her husband died, she then married my great grandfather who brought them up as his own.  I never new of either of the boys but when I got married as we stood at the church door for photos I could have touched Uncle Frank's CWGC headstone.  I've managed to collect quite a lot of information but there is still the gap of his WWI service.  I believe he had been in the Army before the war and re-enlisted because he went in as a sergeant at 33/4 years old.

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Is this your man?

In the local churchyard (St Thomas's Church, Fair Oak, Hampshire) is the grave of Sergeant Frank Cawte of the King's Royal Rifle Corps. he died on the 3rd October, 1915.

According to SDGW ( Soldiers Died in the Great War) he died of wounds, and was with the 9th/60th; however, CWGC seems to have him as 3rd Battalion.

I have heard rumours that the grave yard is to be disposed of, how I have no idea and cannot find any supporting evidence.
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline suegill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 17:03 GMT (UK) »
His medal card is on ancestry but I can't see his service record.  WW1 records on Ancestry are free this month.

Sue
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Alker - Aspull, Hindley
Marsh - Atherton
Blain - Atherton
Gill - Atherton
Hogg - Loscoe, Crich
Harrison - Heanor, Ruddington
Earnshaw - Heanor
Cope - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley
Daykin - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley