Author Topic: scotlands people  (Read 6780 times)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: scotlands people
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 16 November 08 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The link below has some additional info re Dollys problem. She even started from scratch with a fresh registration just a few days ago, got through to the message that two emails have been sent but doesn't seem to have got them. I really think they have been treated as spam.

On SP your username and your email address  are not the same although I'm sure in many cases the username is the first part of the email address. You can in fact have more than one account using the same email address as long as the user name is different. I actually registered with a different user name and my usual email address last week whilst trying to work out what Dollys problem was.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,339462.msg2201178.html#msg2201178

Andy

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 16 November 08 00:26 GMT (UK) »
On SP your username and your email address  are not the same

Mine is - the full e-mail - OK, some may not be but your statement is wrong.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 16 November 08 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Posted by: dolly dimples  Posted on: Today at 09:55:20 
Insert Quote 
  Isabel,  you  could be right, I just don't know ... I am also a little confused

about the username on SP which I assumed was your email, after all that is

how one signs in     username =email,  then  password.  It's so long since I

managed to get in, that I'm not sure about any of it now!

Mine is - the full e-mail - OK, some may not be but your statement is wrong
Hi Gadget

I probably should have said that username and email are not necessarily the same. I was actually responding to Dollys message and adding the link to the previous thread.  In that Dolly mentions that according to SP she has 3 accounts and with the changes to her email set up suggested she started from scratch to ensure that the user name and email address are linked and as the emails are almost instantaneous she should be able to see quickly whether they have arrived or not particularly as her spam totals 1125.

Andy

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 16 November 08 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy

Dolly says that the messages aren't in her Spam box which is why I suggested that unmmannedatscotlandspeople might well be on her blocked list in her BT/Yahoo webmail account. I explained how this happened to my husband and have suggested how she checks for this.

If one blocks an e-mail in a BT account (by accidently clicking on 'report spam' for example.), the messages will not even get put in her spam box. They are just deleted or go into the ether. 

Regards

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 16 November 08 17:01 GMT (UK) »
 Eureka!   Gadget & Andy,
        I switched over to BT Yahoo Classic  mail just now,   got the blocked list up no bother ,  and there it was...  you were both correct from the start...
    I did as you said Gadget , but the next stage is to try SP.. I'm sitting in a sweat here,   so will have tea then try later... thank you both so much for having  such patience with me.  This is simply the best site**
        Best regards Dolly???

Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 16 November 08 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Oh I'm so glad, Dolly  :D

Now you know how to check the list, it will be worth doing so if you have any more missing mail. It's very easy to do as the delete and spam icons are next to each other.

I've just arrived back on Tyneside after my 7 hour trek from the North of Scotland and am still in travelling mode so I'm very  glad that that aspect is sorted.

There should be no problem in getting re-registered with SP now  :)

Gadget

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 16 November 08 18:18 GMT (UK) »
  Hi Gadget,  you picked a nice fine weekend for your trek..How lovely,   I love Scotland..

All's well again, and I have managed to get back on to SP and ordered the long awaited Will... I still find SP a very hard site to navigate, but I can now breathe easily again..  PS. shall I delete all the posts related to this saga? much appreciation , Dolly.  :D
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 16 November 08 18:35 GMT (UK) »
So all's well that ends well  :D

No, don't delete the posts/thread - someone else might have a similar problem and it will be of use to them.  I think this is the advice given by Mods on most threads that have been completed  :)

Gadget

Offline marilib

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 27 September 14 04:59 BST (UK) »
Hi there,  I've the same problem.  I've tried Microsoft Tech.  but he says it's def. SP's fault.  As I couldn't get through to SP I wrote to SP Edinburgh and am waiting for an answer.  I'll let you know what they said.  Marie.