Author Topic: Help deciphering a Kerry village/parish beginning with 'Inch'  (Read 7527 times)

Offline LGee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help deciphering a Kerry village/parish beginning with 'Inch'
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 November 08 03:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the tip, JAP. Will keep exploring those leads. At least I am further down the track than I was last time I looked at this family. It's good to know that there are plenty of helpful people out there in this forum.

LGee :)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 November 08 04:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi LGee,

Just another thought.

A Ggpa of mine was born in Co Mayo.  I knew the name of his parents (from his marriage cert in Victoria, Australia) but not whereabout in Mayo he came from.

Then George's younger brother Thomas died in Vic in 1868 after a fall from a horse.  Birthplace just given as Mayo on the dc. There was an inquest - but nothing more about his birthplace.  A death notice - again nothing more.  But then I found a funeral notice for Thomas - and it said that he was from Farmhill.

Of course, it turned out that there were two townlands called Farmhill in Co Mayo (one near Claremorris, and one near Ballina).

However, the inquest mentioned Thomas's sister and brother-in-law.  I hadn't known that there was a sister.  Anyway, I got her marriage cert and it said she was from Claremorris!

And then I found the marriage of their parents in 1832 Crossboyne RC church (nr Claremorris) with the groom recorded as 'of Farmhill').

So you might still get a precise pointer to the townland even if it does involve such a convoluted path as mine did!

Regards and good luck,

JAP

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 November 08 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou everyone for your replies.

I think the Inchcauascalla suggestion is correct. The certificate is an Australian birth certificate for my great grandmother and included details of her parents place of birth - her father was German, but her mother's name was Catherine Foley (and her mother was an O'Donnell).

The birth was registered by a neighbour 6 months after Margaret was born and perhaps got some of the information wrong. The same neighbour registered Margaret's elder sister's birth and just gave County Kerry as her mother's birthplace. I haven't been able to find a marriage certificate for the parents (which would presumably be more accurate because the bride would have known her birthplace). The family persisted with the Kerry connection, presumably because that was all they knew but the couple also had connections (familial or otherwise) to other Kerry families (Herlihy in particular) in the small goldmining town they lived in.

You probably didn't need to know all that, but you've all been a great help, thankyou.

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 November 08 16:28 GMT (UK) »
 Looking  at Irish Extraction Database.
   Catherine Foley Spouse Patrick Breen Marriage 1846
   In rathmore Kerry Birth Place of Cath: was Tooreencahill.
Also a Cath: Foley Married 1888  Co,Kerry Coracow.
Spouse Daniel McCarthy 
Birth Place of Dan: was Kilfalney Kerry.
Cath: Birth was 1868.

Just the two Catherine Foley's on the Database.

Offline dancingqueen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 January 09 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Though the name place in the certificate begins with ''Inch'' I am wondering should you be looking for the name, ANASCAUL which is a townland, Civil parish Ballynacourty, Dingle, Co Kerry. The spellings of townlands, places etc were spelled very different then but the name on the certificate sounds like Anascaul to me. Hope this helps.

Offline LGee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 January 09 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestion, Dancing Queen. Given the connection my great-grandmother had to the Herlihy family (who were from Ballynacourty) , it's worth looking into.

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 March 09 13:25 GMT (UK) »
I think it is an old Irish place name, spelt slightly wrong

Inch an Scolla which would mean the beach of the school which may refer to the fact that a hedge school was once there.

Brendan

Offline meevansiam

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 20:06 BST (UK) »
I know the area of Inch, Aunascaul well and there are both Donnells and Foleys in that townland.

Offline Tierneylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 03:57 GMT (UK) »
hi

Check out this new website...these folks might be able to advise you some more...the group been around a while but now online...if you have trouble sending an email as i have drop them a line
kerryhistory.ie
DUTTON/Hulme
TIERNEY /Liverpool and Hulme
MARGERISON/MARGERSON/Glossop
WADDELL/Liverpool and Hulme
WAKEFIELD/Stockport
HURST
CARNEY/Liverpool and Manchester
ELLA/Yorkshire and Manchester