Author Topic: Adams and Baxter in Omagh  (Read 3069 times)

Offline cannsmith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adams and Baxter in Omagh
« on: Saturday 15 November 08 05:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am looking to find where my ancestors  lived in the Omagh area Co. Tyrone. James Adams married Frances Baxter and they had children Sarah and Matilda . Sarah was born circa 1823  and Matilda circa 1825. They were of protestant religion (don't know if it was C of E or Presbyterian.) I would guess that their marriage took place around 1822. James  Adams was born around 1799 and Frances Baxter was born in 1794. The family sailed out of Londonderry with James's parents, William and Sarah Adams, and children Robert, Samuel, Jane, Mary Ann & William in 1825 or 1826. They landed in Canada 9 weeks later. I have their story posted here: http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/carolsstuff/Genealogy.html
I am hoping someone can help me out here. I do not know what the townland or parish names are.  Is there any hope of finding out????

Thank you very much
Carol Ann (Adams) Smith

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
Re: Adams in Omagh
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 November 08 17:49 GMT (UK) »
hi carol ann,welcome to rootschat :)
it might be a good idea to get your thread moved to the tyrone board.that way more people with an interest in tyrone, and maybe your families names, might see it.in the meantime if you click on this link for griffiths valuation of ireland(published between 1847-1864) and enter a surname and tyrone it will give you a list of people in any particular townland. there were a lot of adams,far fewer baxters,in tyrone at the time.
http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_start.php

tony

Offline cannsmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 November 08 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony
Thanks for the reply. How do I move the message? About the Griffiths Eval... My Adams's and Baxters had left the Omagh area by 1826.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 November 08 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. I'll have this thread moved to Co. Tyrone board and you won't have to do anything.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cannsmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 November 08 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Wow ! Thanks very much.  :D

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 November 08 22:56 GMT (UK) »
hi,
i gave the link to griffiths just to give you an idea of how common/uncommon the surnames adams and baxter was, even though its
20 years after they left the area :)

tony