Author Topic: Richard Bunce Kingwell  (Read 4567 times)

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Richard Bunce Kingwell
« on: Friday 16 April 04 14:01 BST (UK) »
hi

I have been tracing my mother's family and have come to a stop.

Using the freebmd site i have found the death certificate of who i think is my gg grandfather, Richard Bunce Kingwell, with a middle name like Bunce i don't think there would be too many around .... hopefully. Age at death given on the site is 75 which fits in with what i have been given from the 1851 census.

I have also found what i assumed was his marriage in 1840  to Sarah until i looked at my g grandfather's marriage and death certificates. On both certificates for my g grandfather his mother's surname is listed as Bulley but on the freebmd site the only matching entry has a surname of White.

I have not been able to find any marriages for a Sarah Bulley that would explain the difference in the last name. Does anyone have any ideas on where else to look? I am researching from Australia.
This probably sounds like a silly questions but before i order both certificates to try and confirm they are both the same Richard Kingwell I want to be sure there is nowhere else to look.

Thanks

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline ryan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • (Pictured) My G-G Grandfather Thomas John Hill.
    • View Profile
Re:Richard Bunce Kingwell
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 April 04 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hello!

I am not sure wether or not you may've looked at this site, but I have found it very useful. Some people believe that the details can be unreliable, but the info I have found in regards to my own ancestors is rock solid.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

I suggest that you search all of the databases listed on the lefthand side of the page.

I have a question to pose: 'Bunce' - I have never heard of this name before used in any context, as a middle name or otherwise. I am not doubting the fact that the name exists, but is there a chance that Bunce may have been, perhaps, Richard's mother's surname? I have ancestors who have been 'given' there mother's maiden name as a middle name, but sometimes the maiden name may've been used in conjunction with the family name (father's surname) to create a 'double-barrelled' surname.
HILL/BURKE/BELCHER/BIGNELL/BADHAM/COX/BLAKE/YELDHAM in London
HOPKINS/HART/MATTHEWS/MUNSON/FARLEY in Exeter & Mid Devon
FEREDAY in The Potteries & Tipton
ADAMS/MUSCUTT/ELSBY/BRIDGENS/BURKE/BELL/RAINBOW in The Potteries
O’CALLAGHAN/O’BRIEN in Cork
BURKE/FITZPATRICK in Birmingham
HOPKINS in Shaftesbury
YELDHAM/RAVEN/MUNSON/BIGNELL in Essex
BLAKE/CHANDLER in Wickham Market, Suffolk

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re:Richard Bunce Kingwell
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 April 04 23:16 BST (UK) »
hi

Thanks for the suggestion. Have used the site for other family members that i am researching but didn't think there would be anything there for Richard as he was born around 1815. Will give it a go.

Got middle names like Sample, Fryer and Laidler in my father's family which turned out to be surnames of other members so i wouldn't be surprised for it to be a surname somewhere in the Kingwell side.

Just for the fun of it i think i'll do a search at the freebmd site to see if there are any entries with the surname Bunce, never know might get lucky.

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland