Author Topic: Elizabeth Serena Clifford - Durban - ordering from the archives? - COMPLETED  (Read 3391 times)

Offline tilly56

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Serena Clifford - Durban - ordering from the archives? - COMPLETED
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 June 09 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Ruth and Moira

Just to let you know that there is a happy ending!  I have received the documents!! Also, because of the delay, I wasn't charged, which was very nice ;D

I don't know how much the information given by next of kin was checked, but Elizabeth's son, Arthur (my great uncle) was certainly "economical with the truth" (something he obviously inherited from his mother).  He says she had been a widow for 34 years - completely forgetting that she had remarried in 1910 and had actually emigrated to South Africa with her new husband.... and, most importantly, that she was then Elizabeth Doland and not Elizabeth Clifford - unless they divorced, but I can't find any record of that. A letter I have from Elizabeth to my grandfather, mentions Will and they seem to have been on friendly terms....... but Elizabeth's children apparently did not approve and hated William - hence the story in the family that she emigrated with her boyfriend and no mention of the fact that she had remarried.

Anyway, many thanks again for your help.
Tilly
Lancaster- L. Buzzard  Johnson - Northampts
Lancaster, Perryer-Fulham
Clifford - London, ssx, S Africa, Berks, Wilts  
Divall-Ssx  Randall-Ssx, Surrey 
Rossi-Sienna Notts Leics London   
Brimfield    Seton 
Rix - Norfolk   Burke - Co Clare

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Miss Trees

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Serena Clifford - Durban - ordering from the archives? - COMPLETED
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 June 09 02:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Tilly

Like you I used this service to order some documents (back in December) and there must have been some 'glitch' but it has been worked out and I am very happy to have received my documents at last! (and they were worth it).
 I have used them before and waited 2 months max so I know this longer wait was not normal.
Anyway I certainly can't complain because on the other hand several months ago I also paid a private researcher in advance to retrieve some documents in Cape Town and she appears to have made off with the cash :( I'm quite a patient person but no documents, no status update and no response to my email :(