Author Topic: OPR Birth - Help with writing  (Read 6859 times)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: OPR Birth - Help with writing
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 November 08 22:49 GMT (UK) »
If you look in familysearch for Thrift Watt you will find an ancestoral file for him.His mother's surname is quoted as Chisholm.MonicaLesl beat me to it!Thrift married  twice,17 August 1855,in Aberdeen & 6 June 1868,in Stonehaven Kincardineshire.You will be able to find his marriage & death details in scotlandspeople,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all.

flst - Yes, I've got his 2 marriages. The first was to a Isabella Lees, who was from Stonehaven. They had 4 children, then Isabella died in 1867. He married Agnes Ann Dorian in 1868, and went on to have another 9 children!  My Grandmother was the eldest of the second family.

Agnes was born in Ireland, possibly Letterkenny, Donegal, but I'm not certain of that. Her elder brother was born there, and there are at least 2 more siblings born in Stonehaven.  I've been told that finding details of Irish births to be a hard task. Anyone had any success with this??

Cheers
Jim
Irvine Gove Watt Stronner

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 November 08 21:19 GMT (UK) »
This is my reading of it - I think all the bits have been supplied but no-one has put it all together.

August 14 Geo Watt Junr in Blairmade in the parish of Boindie had a child by Margaret Chessit in Portsoy, baptised named Thrift - Witnesses William Steinson in Knockdurn and John Gauld in Portsoy
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline angusg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 December 08 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi my name is Angus Glass

My mother Jessie Stewart Beattie was Thrifts
gt gt Granddaughter thru

Robert Beattie and Margaret Gordon

Robert Beatties father was Robert Beattie died
Sunnyside Royal Asylum Sept 1899
His wife was Isabella Watt  daughter of Thrift Watt

I know where Thrift is buried.
I have been workin g on this for ten years.

Would also like to know about his other 3 children
of first marriage.2 boys and girl.

I am in conact with Charles Dorian a descendant
of Thrifts second wife in the states.

604 536 4736 canada
Watt, Beattie,Glass,McDougal, Guthrie,Blackie,Pringle,Balmer,Headridge,Hunter,France,Greenhill
Gordon,Lawson,Anderson,Reid,Stott,Milne,Jackson,Walker McArthur,Hardie.Dunnet,Dundas
Thorburn, Mosley, Stewart, Wood, Gladstone, Darrie,Melrose
Duff,and in the States/Canada: Kidder,Duff, Blake,Robertson,Kerr.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 December 08 22:06 GMT (UK) »

It's a small world. Charles Dorian's daughter-in-law is my 4th cousin!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 December 08 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Angus!

I'm not sure how much of this you already know, but here is what I have

Thrift Watt was my Great-Grandfather.  He was married twice.  His first wife was Isabella Lees, daughter of Robert Lees & Janet Richie.

Thrift & Isabella had 4 children, 1) Robert, born 18 Dec 1855 in Aberdeen.
2) Margaret, born 15 June 1858 in Aberdeen. I believe she died before 1871 in Stonehaven, but I'm not certain of this.
3) Isabella, born 29 April 1860 in Stonehaven. Died on 25 Nov 1945 in Montrose.
She had a relationship with  (someone) Cameron, and had a son, George Watt, born 14 Nov1877, who was killed at Gallipoli  This is your relation.
4) George, born and died on 27 April 1864.

Isabella (senior) died on 26 August 1867. They married on 17 August 1855 in St Nicholas, Aberdeen.  Thrift then married Agnes Ann Dorian on 6th June 1868 in Stonehaven. They had 9 children, Bridget, the eldest was my Grandmother.

Bridget married Munro Gove on 10 December 1897 in Stonehaven.  They had 10 children. Martha Begg Gove, the 8th child, was my Mother.

I'm not too certain of Thrift's first family, as my line comes through his second marriage.

Thrifts parents (the subject of my original post in this thread) were George Watt & Margaret Chisholm.

I've done a bit more digging since I started this thread, and have discovered that George Watt's parents were another George Watt & Jane Harper.

George (Senior) parents were Alexander Watt & Elspet Davidson.

Alexander & the 2 Georges were farmers, and I've discovered that George (Jun) son John was still the farmer at Blairmaude in 1901.

I have been in touch with Charles Dorian in the US, and he has given me a lot of information.

Another guy who has helped me a lot with information on Stonehaven is Jim Allan. Well worth getting in touch with him. Here's his website -
http://www.geocities.com/stonehavenwarmemorial/index.html

Jim is also based in Canada - Vancouver I think.

Where in Canada are you, and how come you ended up there?
From what you've told me, your grandfather would have been a half-cousin, if there is such a thing, of my mothers. That makes your mother and me sort of second cousins.

Great to find yet another relation !

Cheers
Jim

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 December 08 15:15 GMT (UK) »

It's a small world. Charles Dorian's daughter-in-law is my 4th cousin!

Charles Dorian is my third cousin, so I suppose that means you and I are related (however remotely) through marriage.

It is indeed a small world ! !

Offline angusg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 06:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim,

I moved my family outside Vancouver in 1975.
before that we lived 5 years in  Herts. and two years before that ion  Lanarkshire. I grew up in the Borders around Kelso Galashiels. Wife  is frim Gordon Berwickshire.

Thrift Watt died 17 Mar 1919  Balnillo, Dun, Forfar, Scotland
he is buried in Dun churchyard grave has no memorial.

His death was registered by a farm worker or neighbour
even although his daughter Isabella lived at 80 Baltic St Montrose a
mere seven or eight miles away, Balnillo is right on the Forfar Montorse branch line at that time. her youngest child Davis Collie would have been 16 years old at that time.

Agnes Ann Dorian is buried in Cowie (Died 25 Aug 1903).
I have a photo of the Memorial inscription She and son Alexander
are buried there.

I talked to Charles Dorian about ten days ago just
shooting the breeze.  I met Chatles about two years ago
as a result of an enquiry I had a friend put in the
Aberdeen Family History Quarterly regarding Thrift.

Charles is about 2.5 hour car ride away from Delta down south.

What do you make of the issues over Thrifts mums name Chisholm/Chessit?

Can we communicate off line from this form?

Moderator comment: details of living people edited - see below
Watt, Beattie,Glass,McDougal, Guthrie,Blackie,Pringle,Balmer,Headridge,Hunter,France,Greenhill
Gordon,Lawson,Anderson,Reid,Stott,Milne,Jackson,Walker McArthur,Hardie.Dunnet,Dundas
Thorburn, Mosley, Stewart, Wood, Gladstone, Darrie,Melrose
Duff,and in the States/Canada: Kidder,Duff, Blake,Robertson,Kerr.

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 December 08 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angus,

I think that Chissit is a mistake.  She is down as Chisholm on the 1841 &1851 census records. If you think back to 1829, not many people were litterate, and whoever wrote the OPR's just spelt things as he thought, and perhaps "Chissit" is some local pronunciation of Chisholm. I've had someone who is more up to speed with OPR's check out the Scotlands People website for any previous instances of the name Chissit, or even simmilar spellings, and she could find no records with this name.

I'll send you a PM with my email address so we can continue this discussion away from this forum.

Jim