Author Topic: Yates family in Jamaica  (Read 5600 times)

Offline Rod 43

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Yates family in Jamaica
« on: Monday 17 November 08 08:49 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to trace the background of two brothers, Thomas Legall Yates (1753-1832) and Ambrose Nicholas Yates (c. 1755-1844), both of whom became pursers in the Royal Navy, joining up in Jamaica, and eventually settling in England. Their father seems to have died early, and their mother Mary re-married, before 1765, one George Cookson. I suspect that her maiden name was Legall: Captain Julian Legge (d. 1762) married Elizabeth Legall in Kingston, Jamaica in 1744, and he was TL Yates's uncle.

A search of Jamaican parish registers has failed to locate either man, so it is likely that the family moved to the island after they were born. Any information about any aspect of this puzzle would be more than welcome!

Offline Vic1960

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Yates family in Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 March 09 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Robert Ballard Yates son of Ambrose Nicholas Yates (c. 1755-1844), Married Mary Jane Edwards Cookson of Port Royal, Jamacia, West Indies.
I have more information on the Cookson family of Jamaica but not sure if  AN and TL Yates stepfather is one of them.

Offline Vic1960

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 March 09 02:10 GMT (UK) »
I also need to link up the Bussell family as well as the Cookson Yates families they all seem to have entwined more than once.

Offline Vic1960

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 March 09 02:15 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about mass posting need to build my postings to earn email privileges.
Do you have information on Edward Ellis, Mary Smith and their daughter Jane. Mary Smith is the mother of the two Yates wives.

Offline Rod 43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 December 10 09:48 GMT (UK) »
From the Port Royal baptismal register (p.10), it appears that Ambrose Nicholas (b. 23 August 1756) was the son of Ambrose Cramer and Mary Yates, and was baptised Ambrose Nicholas Cramer on 15 September.

This clearly turns the whole thing upside down: Yates was his and his (?half)-brother Thomas Legall's maternal surname. No baptismal record for Thomas Legall (Yates) as yet, but it's now quite a different search!

Offline Rod 43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 December 10 08:20 GMT (UK) »
And I do now have the baptismal record of Thomas Legall Yates (son of Edward Vernon and Mary Yates!), baptised in Kingston, Jamaica on 9 July 1753, and born there on 24 June (PR, Baptisms, I, 116). It's extremely likely that his mother was Mary Legall, daughter of Nicholas and Elizabeth (nee Wade) Legall, born and baptised Kingston, 10 February 1734.

Likewise, Edward Vernon Yates is probably the naval officer of that name, son of Charles and Catherine (nee Vernon) Yates, born in Redmile, Leicestershire in 1729. More to follow!

Offline TerrellYates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 August 23 21:51 BST (UK) »
This is my bloodline... I'm Terrell Yates grandson of Calvin Yates & great great grand son of Ashley & Amy Yates however I was & from New York but I do know my aunt Hazel r.i.p. & my cousin Terry Yates which is married now & also her father Terrence Yates which is Calvin's son.

Offline TerrellYates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 August 23 15:39 BST (UK) »
Edwars V Yates 1729-1801 was the Father of Ambrose N Yates.

Offline TerrellYates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 August 23 15:44 BST (UK) »
And I do now have the baptismal record of Thomas Legall Yates (son of Edward Vernon and Mary Yates!), baptised in Kingston, Jamaica on 9 July 1753, and born there on 24 June (PR, Baptisms, I, 116). It's extremely likely that his mother was Mary Legall, daughter of Nicholas and Elizabeth (nee Wade) Legall, born and baptised Kingston, 10 February 1734.

Likewise, Edward Vernon Yates is probably the naval officer of that name, son of Charles and Catherine (nee Vernon) Yates, born in Redmile, Leicestershire in 1729. More to follow!
Yes this is true! This started the Yates bloodline when a Yates married into the royal Vernon family so i'm thinking in order for a Yates to marry a Vernon Charles Yates had to be of royaly as well. Correction this did not start the Yates bloodline i was only able to trace the Yates bloodline to Charles Yates 1701-born however... His mother was Martha Martin with would be my 8th great grandmother.