Author Topic: Hill family of Larne, Hillmount and Ballymena  (Read 25798 times)

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hill family of Larne, Hillmount and Ballymena
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 03 November 16 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Very well done, Gilby!  Great research!!

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 05 November 16 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Pure chance!  Glad I've finally found something that was new to you.  I take it you were able to access the will abstract on Ancestry?  I have the actual will on my long list of things I want to look up next time I get the opportunity at PRONI.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 07 November 16 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Gilby.  I'm not a member of Ancestry.  I just try to do my hobby on the cheap.  Here are a few notes for you.  Some are accurate, some are questionable, and some may prove to be of no use at all.  Anyway, here goes:

Alexander Macaulay, of the Cushendall branch, m. 1848 at Rathfarnham Church, Dublin, Maria Martin, 2nd dau of John Martin of Airhill, Rathgar, Co. Dublin.

1854--Sept. 3, Melbourne, Australia--Death of Barry Martin, eldest son of John Martin, Esq. of Airhill, Rathgar, Co. Dublin.

Some Hills:

1.  Unknown Hill m.
2.  Thomas Hill, b. abt. 1728
2.  Maj. Charles Hill (1729-1790) m. Mary Cuppage, dau of John Cuppage and Mary Macaulay of the Cushendall Macaulays.
2.  Capt. James Hill, b. abt. 1730
2.  Mary Hill b. abt. 1732
2.  Capt. Lancelot Hill (1733-1810) m. 1 Katherine Lloyd; m. 2 1773 to Jane Pery, sister of the Rt. Hon. Edmond Sexton Pery.
2.  Alice Hill (1734-1822) m. John Kiggell

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Ah well here is what is on the "Registry of Deeds, Dublin : Abstracts of wills" available on Ancestry.  This is a copy of a copy of the will/codicils.  As I mentioned I hope to be able to see the original at PRONI someday.  The square brackets are not mine  - they're on the abstract on Ancestry.

682 MOORE, JAMES, Ballydivity, Co. Antrim

24 Dec. 1778. Full 6 pp. 11 Nov. 1783.

My only son James Moore.  My sister Ann Hill, widow of Rev. John Hill late of Drumna, her three sons, John, Charles and James, her daughters Mary Given wife of Wm. Givern, and Ann Edmiston wife of Hugh Edmiston.  My nephew John Walker, his brothers James, Charles and Robert Walker, their sisters Mary Kithcart wife to Alexr. Kithcart, Sarah Hill wife to John Hill.  My two nephews James and Robert Walker both of Glenleary, Do. Londonderry, farmers.  My nephew Chas. Walker of Glenleary, Co. Londonderry, farmer.  My nephew John Walker, Ballydivity, Barony Dunluce, Co. Antrim, gent.  My son-in-law Jno. Stewart, Ballintoy, his only son James Stewart, my grandson (a minor).  My grandson James Stewart only son of John Stewart of Ballintoy, Co. Antrim, Esq., if he should become seized of my real estate shall take and assume the surname of Moore.  My nephew Chas. Hill, Drumna, Co. Antrim, linen draper, my nephew James Hill of same, linen draper.  Margaret Poak otherwise Hamill wife of Wm. Hamill.  Robt. Ogilby, Newtownlimavaddy, Co. Londonderry, Esq., M.D.  John Hill, Hill[s.]mount, Barony Toomb, Co. Antrim (my nephew), linen draper and Wm. Owens, Holestone, Co. Antrim, watchmaker, trustees.  My son-in-law John Stewart, Ballintoy, Esq., Rev. William Lynd, Moyargit, Gospel minister, and John Huey, Ballyalaght, gent., all in the Barony Cary, Co. Antrim, exors.  Legacies to poor of parishes of Derrykeighan, and Billy.

The lands of North Ballydivity, Cluntice and Islandahoo which I hold from Earl of Antrim; lands of South Ballydivity, Carnfeog[ne] which I hold under the heirs of James Stewart, Esq., deceased, Upper Ballynaris and Ballyness leased from Earl of Antrim, all in Barony Dunluce, Co. Antrim.  Frosses, Barony Kilconway, Co. Antrim held from Earl of Antrim, North Torcrum (ditto) in Grange of Killegan, Co. Antrim, Lissaniske, Barony Dunluce, Duncarbit, Drumchullen and Cullyveely (ditto) Barony Cary, all in Co. Antrim.  Upper and Lower Moyargits, held from heirs of Hugh Boyd, Ballycastle, Co. Antrim, deceased.  Upper Ballinlea, Barony Carey,Co. Antirm held from Earl of Antrim, Lisbel[la]nagroagh More, Barony Carey, Cloughhorr, Barony Dunluce both Co. Antrim (ditto).  Ballymacklevennon [Co. Londonderry] in liberties of Coleraine which I hold from Mrs. Jennet Boyd, widow, deceased.

Witnesses: Wm. Martin, Ballynaris, parish Billy, Co. Antrim, farmer, James Martin, Ballynarish, Presbyterian teacher, commonly called a Probationer, John Martin, Ballynarish, bachelor.

Memorial witnessed by: Said Wm. Martin, James Martin and John Martin.

355, 170, 238479                John Hill (seal)

683   MOORE, JAMES, Ballydivity, Co. Antrim.

Codicil 10 Feb. 1781.  Full 1¼ p. 11 Nov. 1783.

In former Will appointed as exors. John Stewart Ballintoy, Co. Antrim, Esq., Rev. Wm. Lynd, Moyarget, Co. Antrim, preacher and John Huey, Ballyalaught, Co. Antrim, farmer.  Revokes exorship of said Wm. Lynd and John Huey and appoints as exors. said John Stewart, Ballintoy, Richard Lloyd, Coleraine, Co. Londonderry, Esq., and Jackson Wray, Dowey, Co. Antrim, gent.

To my only son James Moore the younger all real and personal estate.  Debt due by Randal Wm. Earl of Antrim who executed a mortgage deed to me, the rents etc. of lands which I hold under his Lordship in Baronies of Dunluce, Cary and Kilconway, Co. Antrim being a collateral security.

Witesses: William Martin, Ballynaris, parish of Billy, Barony Dunluce, Co. Antrim, farmer, John Martin, Ballynarish aforesaid, bachelor, James Martin, Ballynarish aforesaid, Presbyterian preacher commonly called a Probationer.

Memorial witnesses by: William Martin, John Martin, James Martin.

356, 89, 238480                         John Hill (seal) a trustee in said will

684   MOORE, JAMES, of Ballydivity, Co. Antrim.

Postscript.  6 March 1781.  Full ½ p. 11 Nov. 1783.

To my nephew John Walker the feather bed and bedclothes, bedstead and hangings that are now all upon the bed in the Blue Room on which he now sleeps, and to possess the said Blue Room for life provided he continues unmarried.

Witnesses: John Hood, parish of Deryaghy, Barony of Massereene, Co. Antrim, Ann Hill in Drumra in parish of Attoghel [? Drumramer, parish Ahoghill], Barony Toom, Co. Antrim, spinster, James Martin, Ballynarish, parish Billy, Barony Dunluce, Co. Antrim, Presbyterian teacher commonly called Probationer. 

Memorial witnessed by: James Martin, John Hood.   

356, 90, 238481                               John Hill (seal)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 10 November 16 09:45 GMT (UK) »
The originals of what at PRONI?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 10 November 16 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Well, maybe not the original original, or the one that is/was in Dublin, but I'm referring to:

D1080/5/36 =  Probate of the will and codicils of James Moore, Ballydivety [sic], Co. Antrim.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 14 November 16 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Here is another Hill family also connected with a Walsh family in Antrim.  Related or not is always the big question:

1.  Rev. Robert Hill, died abt. 1784 m.
2.  Rev. Charles Hill (c. 1762-1837) m.
3.  Jane
3.  Leonora m. Mr Walsh
3.  Mary
3.  Sarah
3.  Hugh

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Belfast Commercial Chronicle, 20 Jun 1807   
On the 18th inst. At Killroot house, by the Rev. Richard Dobbs, Trevor Hill, Esq. of Larne, to Miss Brice, daughter of Edward Brice, Esq. of Kilroot, and grand-daughter of Lord Ventry.

Edward Brice was a descendant of the Rev. Edward Brice of Ballycarry, and in 1831 he was granted the right to use the name and arms of Bruce on account of his descent from the "noble and ancient family of Bruce, of Airth."

I am descended from the Rev. Edward Brice, but cannot prove how this Edward of Kilroot was connected (any insights welcome).

Does this Trevor Hill fit in anywhere?

Further to the above I just came across this death notice:

Northern Whig, 7 Dec 1847   
At Botanic View, on Sunday, the 28th Sept., Theodora, relict of the late Trevor Hill, Esq., of Bess Brook, daughter of the late Edward Bruce, of Kilroot, and grand-daughter of Thomas Lord Ventry.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 07 January 17 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Copy will of Matthew Barry / Berry = PRONI D300/1/5/5

In the name of God Amen – I Mathew Berry Gentleman farmer of the Liberties of Carrickfergus being weak of body but of sound judgement praise be to God do make and ordain this my last will and testament in form and manner following having annulled and revoked all former wills and testaments this 28th day of October 1760.  In the first place I leave and bequeath to my daughter Ann Berry all my real and personal Estates of Carnumarock [??] as also my Estate or freehold both houses and lands in the liberties an Town of Carrickfergus which I got by my wife Anne Coleman alias Ann Berry deceased which houses and lands are commonly called Connoly lands…

Also leaves £10 to Fanny Clarke.

Appoints his brother Thomas Barry and James Duck/Duhs [?] executors.

Date at the end of the will appears to be 28th October 1764 rather than 1760.

Belfast Newsletter, 6 Dec 1768   

On Tuesday last was married, Mr. John Hill of Drumra in the County of Antrim, Linen Draper, to Miss Berry of Carrickfergus, an agreeable young lady, with a Fortune of 1500l.

The above-mentioned Thomas Barry?

WHEREAS Sarah Willson, otherwise Barry, Wife of Thomas Barry, of the Town and County of Carrickfergus, hath acted in a disorderly Manner, by detaining the Money he ordered her to pay; Likewise made away with a great Deal of her said Husband's Property: This is to caution the Public not to credit the said Sarah Willson on my Account, as I am determined not to pay any Debts she may contract from this Date.  Given under my Hand, this 10th Day of May, 1779.
Thos. Barry (·) his mark

Conolly Lands or Conlan's Lands...?

Anne Coleman's grandmother Ann Bunch inherited from her uncle Richard Conlan or O'Conlin who was Sheriff of Carrickfergus in 1595.  I wonder if the land mentioned in the will was named after him...