Author Topic: Hill family of Larne, Hillmount and Ballymena  (Read 25826 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hill family of Larne, Hillmount and Ballymena
« Reply #90 on: Saturday 13 July 19 12:04 BST (UK) »
Other Killens that may be of interest:

Esther Killen, aged 20,, dau of William Killen, shopkeeper, Grange of Doagh, m. 1872  at Kilbride Presbyterian Church to James Gilmore, aged 21, son of John Gilmore, shoemaker, of ?Ballybanagh?
Witnesses:  Wilson McKee and Eliza Kirk.

This is aunt's grandparents but don't think her Killen connected to Carrickfergus ones, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Saturday 13 July 19 12:12 BST (UK) »

Also of interest was the fact that Dr. Samuel Killen's housekeeper was Margaret Bell McAuley, aged 73 in 1911.

Death of Margaret Bell McAuley in 1921.   #285
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1921/05086/4396128.pdf

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Saturday 13 July 19 12:13 BST (UK) »
PRONI D1824/B/1/2/1/22

Indenture dated 6th May 1870 between James Owens, Rev John Henry Smyth and John Stewart Moore (reps of John Owens, lunatic), and Thomas Tweed late of Wheyburn but now of the city of Baltimore in the US.

Whereby by lease dated 10th Nov 1781 between John Gillilan and Archibald Lusk of the parish of Cairncastle, Gillilan let to Lusk the half of the farm on the south side with about two acres on the north side on the march of William Sheriff usually called Kimmercaum as there divided in his possession containing 18a in Ballytober, for three lives therein named.

And whereas said lease was last renewed on 4th Jun 1831 between James Owens and Robert Neill (in whom the right of renewal of Archibald Lusk had become vested), for the lives of John Owens and William Agnew (both of whom are still alive) and of Maria Agnew (since deceased).

And whereas the lease is now vested in Thomas Tweed … this indenture witnesseth that … the fee is now granted to him.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Saturday 13 July 19 13:09 BST (UK) »
Will of Robert Neill, Sallagh, Cairncastle

PRONI D300/1/5/117

In the name of God amen I Robert Neill of Sallagh do make this my last will and testament in manner and form following.  I leave and bequeath to my servant Alexr Finlay £4 a year during his lifetime.  I leave and bequeath unto my wife Jane Tweed otherwise Neill my interest in the farm of Ballywillin during her natural life, afterwards to my daughter Martha Neill provided she arrives at the age of maturity, and if she does not, then to her mother Jane Neill for ever in trust to John Tweed jr of Ballycoose and John Tweed of Hillhead their heirs or excrs.  I leave and bequeath the proportion of land which I hold in Sallagh to my above named daughter Martha in trust as before for ever to John Tweed jr of Ballycoose and John Tweed of Hillhead or their heirs or assigns.  In case of my daughter dying before she arrives _____ maturity I leave said farm to my brother John Neill now in America ______hildren lawfully failing _____ghter Martha not arriving _____ age of maturity I leave and bequeath to _____ Jas Mulligan £3 a year during his ministry in Carncastle and his successors for ever.  Lastly I nominate and appoint Campbell Wilson of Wheyburn, John Tweed of Ballycoose and John Tweed of Hillhead executors and trustees to this my last will and testament to whom I leave and bequeath for their trouble as trustees, to Campbell Wilson £1, to John Tweed Jr of Ballycoose £150 and John Tweed of Hillhead £50 stg provided they act as trustees and executors.  In witness whereof I affix my hand and seal this 15th day of April in the year of our Lord 1836.  ROBERT NEILL

Witnesses:
John Dale
Robert Dick
Robert Tweed

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Saturday 13 July 19 22:44 BST (UK) »
James KILLEN (c1735-1791) m. (c1764) Blanche BRICE (c1739-1807)
     Thomas KILLEN (c1765-1812) of Kells m. Martha ARMSTRONG (c1771-1859)
          Samuel KILLEN (c1802-1854) of Killead m. Mary Jane SHAW (c1817-1878)
               Robert KILLEN (c1840-1899) m. Catherine HILL (c1858-1933)
               James Bryce KILLEN (c1842-c1916) m. (Cecilia WINDELE?)
               Samuel KILLEN (c1842-1914) m. Mary OWENS
               John Moore KILLEN (c1845-1926) m. Elizabeth McNEILL

John Moore Killen was the Registrar for his own childrens’ births which I find slightly amusing.   ;D

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Sunday 14 July 19 10:21 BST (UK) »

Esther Killen, aged 20,, dau of William Killen, shopkeeper, Grange of Doagh, m. 1872  at Kilbride Presbyterian Church to James Gilmore, aged 21, son of John Gilmore, shoemaker, of ?Ballybanagh?

This is aunt's grandparents but don't think her Killen connected to Carrickfergus ones, etc.

Out of interest, have you traced this William Killen back any further?  I had a quick look but couldn't find his dates.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Sunday 14 July 19 10:54 BST (UK) »
By the way, I believe many of the Tweeds and Wilsons of Cairncastle are descended from the Gillilands of Tildarg via Robert Caldwell who married a daughter of John Gilliland of Ballycowan, Connor parish (died c1730).

I think Jane Caldwell (c1728-1800) was married firstly to a Tweed and then to James Wilson (c1738-1810), having children by both husbands.  The Stewarts/Agnews of Seaview (now the site of Cairndhu House) were among her descendants.

The Neil and McNeill families seem to have been closely connected to the Tweeds and Wilsons, probably further back than the marriage (c1820s?) of Robert Neill of Sallagh to Jane Tweed.

The Killens are also descendants of Willie Gilliland the Scottish covenanter, as recorded by the Rev. W. D. Killen in his Reminiscences of a Long Life.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Monday 15 July 19 08:23 BST (UK) »

Out of interest, have you traced this William Killen back any further?  I had a quick look but couldn't find his dates.

I traced the family a number of years ago for aunt's 98th birthday. William Killen died 1885 Doagh age 84.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Tuesday 16 July 19 21:14 BST (UK) »
I traced the family a number of years ago for aunt's 98th birthday. William Killen died 1885 Doagh age 84.

Thanks.  I still can't find his death registration on GRO or Irishgenealogy - was there something funny about it or am I doing something silly?