Author Topic: LEY Family  (Read 10865 times)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LEY Family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 December 08 16:11 GMT (UK) »
HI,

I found this baptism at findmypast,

Robert HOOPER
Date: 13 Feb 1774
Parish: Calstock, Cornwall

Father: Joseph HOOPER
Mother: Hannah

More info can be found here,

http://www.calstock.info/census/people_intro.htm

Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline ae0306t

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 December 08 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Daisy,

Thanks for the information and the link. There is a lot of info on that web site. The one baptism that I could not find is for Thomas John Hooper. He would have been born October of 1840. I am fairly certain that Thomas was the son of Mary Hooper and so not legitimate. In 1851 census he is listed as a grandson not a son. Mary was daughter of Richard Ley Hooper. Would Thomas's baptism be recorded if he was not legitimate?

Andrea
Tipper - Nottinghamshire; Derbyshire
Hooper - St. Cleer, Cornwall; Devonport
Nichols -

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 December 08 01:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have often seen baptisms of illegitimate children, (often written as baseborn) so I don't think that would necessarily mean he wasn't baptised, but I can't find it either :-\

This looks like his birth registration,

Thomas Johns HOOPER    Dec Q  1840    Liskeard    9  167

if you wanted to confirm his mother. I wonder if the middle name Johns is a clue?

Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline ae0306t

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 December 08 02:41 GMT (UK) »
My reason for believing he is baseborn or illegitimate are the census records.

In 1841 census there are parents Richard and Ann. Ann would be about 47 at the time of his birth. Not impossible that she was the mother but ? The oldest daughter Mary is 16 or 17. In that census they did not list the relationship to head of household.

In 1851 census Thomas Hooper is listed as a grandson. His mother(?) Mary is not in the household.

In 1861 Thomas is living with Ann Hooper and is again listed as grandson. In this census they are the only ones in the home.

I have been unable to locate any birth records or baptismal records for Thomas John Hooper to prove that he is the son of Mary Hooper, grandson of Richard Ley Hooper and Ann Wills. The one you found is a very good possibility. I will need to order it and see. I am guessing it would not list his father if parents were not married.

Perhaps his father's last name was Johns.

Thanks,
Andrea

Tipper - Nottinghamshire; Derbyshire
Hooper - St. Cleer, Cornwall; Devonport
Nichols -