Author Topic: Look-up Request - Derrygasson  (Read 10300 times)

Offline Bhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look-up Request - Derrygasson
« on: Tuesday 18 November 08 16:14 GMT (UK) »
 . . on the assumption that it's ok to post a look-up request here.

I'm interested in the townland of Derrygasson (or Derrygassan) Lower, near Emyvale.  In Griffith there are only 9 households. 

Is anyone here able to look up the 1901 and 1911 census records for this townland?  (Monaghan is well down the list for digitisation . . . )

I'm particularly interested in the family of John O'Brien, who appears in the Griffith records.  John himself was dead before 1890 and his wife Margaret died about 1901, so I'm not sure who would have been the head of the household after that.

Thanks.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look-up Request - Derrygasson
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 November 08 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Irish Records online........

The records for 1911 are being digitised first, then those for 1901. The 1911 Census records for Antrim, Down and Kerry will now be placed online in December, rather than October, as previously hoped. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused, and thank you for your patience. Publication of the other counties will follow, in the order listed below, between then and mid-2009. More precise timescales will be posted when available.

* Donegal
    * Cork
    * Wexford
    * Galway
    * King’s County (Offaly)
    * Limerick
    * Mayo
    * Waterford
    * Armagh
    * Carlow
    * Cavan
    * Clare
    * Fermanagh
    * Kildare
    * Kilkenny
    * Leitrim
    * Londonderry (Derry)
    * Longford
    * Louth
    * Meath
    * Monaghan
    * Queen’s County (Laois)
    * Roscommon
    * Sligo
    * Tipperary
    * Tyrone
    * Westmeath
    * Wicklow
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 November 08 11:50 GMT (UK) »
There is a Paul Ryan looking for them too...is that you??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Janeyrose888

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 March 21 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I stumbled upon your post. I am currently doing my tree, and my grandmother was Margaret O’Brien, born of John, Derrygassan. I think that my great grandfather was the John you are asking about. There was only that O’Brien family in Derrygassan at the time I believe.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 March 21 14:01 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Hi, I stumbled upon your post. I am currently doing my tree, and my grandmother was Margaret O’Brien, born of John, Derrygassan. I think that my great grandfather was the John you are asking about. There was only that O’Brien family in Derrygassan at the time I believe.

Bhoy was last active on RootsChat in March 2017, but if his/her e-mail hasn't changed, he/she will get a notification of your post. If you make at least one more post (just say Hi etc), you can use the Personal Message (PM) system to contact Bhoy and exchange personal data, such as e-mail address.

Have a look at https://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

.....interested in the townland of Derrygasson (or Derrygassan) Lower, near Emyvale.

Is anyone here able to look up the 1901 and 1911 census records for this townland? 

John himself was dead before 1890 and his wife Margaret died about 1901, so I'm not sure who would have been the head of the household after that.

A few links for you and others to see:

Here's Derrygassan Lower townland just south-east of Emyvale
https://www.townlands.ie/monaghan/trough/donagh/emyvale/derrygassan-lower/

O'Briens in 1901 census
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Monaghan/Emyvale/Derrygassan_Lower/1636104/

O'Briens in 1911 census including your grandmother Margaret.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Monaghan/Emyvale/Derrygassan__Lower/808736/

Death of John O’Brien in 1887.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1887/06222/4780589.pdf

Death of Margaret O’Brien in 1901.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1901/05710/4610715.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 March 21 14:08 BST (UK) »

John O'Brien married Elizabeth Woods on 18th July 1905 in St Mary's Glennan RC Church.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1905/10175/5702047.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Bhoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 April 21 22:29 BST (UK) »

Bhoy was last active on RootsChat in March 2017, but if his/her e-mail hasn't changed, he/she will get a notification of your post.

Apologies for not noticing this exchange earlier.  Have now responded via PM.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 April 21 07:10 BST (UK) »
Apologies for not noticing this exchange earlier.  Have now responded via PM.

Janeyrose888 will need at least two posts before she can send or receive private messages.

Offline Bhoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 March 24 00:41 GMT (UK) »

Trying again to see if Janeyrose88 notices this time. (Still can't PM her.)

John was also my great-grandfather. Margaret's brother Patrick was my grandfather. Be great to make contact.