Author Topic: Simeon DUNSTONE b1854 South Petherton  (Read 2764 times)

Offline emmalydia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Simeon DUNSTONE b1854 South Petherton
« on: Wednesday 19 November 08 07:24 GMT (UK) »
This is my ggrandfather who came to South Australia in 1879 aboard the Salisbury with his wife Mary Davis or Davey b1853 and son Edwin George b1875 my grandfather and his brother and sister Sydney and Ann.  I think his father was John b1818 Sth Petherton and mother Mary b1819 Martock.  I am confused about Edwin George Dunstone as I have found a document he filled out stating that he was born in Redruth Somerset.  Is there a Redruth in Somerset?  Not that I can find.  My mother felt he was born in Cornwall and I wonder if he was mistaken and they moved there at some stage.  I can't find the actual marriage details for Simeon and Mary, only basic details in the SA Biographical Register.  Would love some additions to my knowledge of the above.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Simeon DUNSTONE b1854 South Petherton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi emmalydia

Going by the birth date you provide, he does look like the one in South Petherton in 1871 age 18, at home with parents John and Maria. The Reg District covering this area is Yeovil.

FREEBMD has the following :
MARRIAGE  Sep Qtr 1873 - Yeovil -  Ref: 5c 725
Simeon DUNSTONE and Mary DAVIS on the same page

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

(and welcome to Rootschat, too, by the way  ;D  ;D)

You're in real luck  - I'm envious! Some lovely people have done a lot of transcription work for South Petherton...
http://www.southpethertoninformation.org.uk/South%20Petherton%20information.htm

The marriage I quoted above iappears to be the right one:

They married 28 Aug 1873
Simeon DUNSTONE age 21 Bachelor,  labourer, resident of South Petherton, son of John DUNSTONE, Brickmaker
Mary DAVIS age 21, spinster, resident of South Petherton, dau of John DAVIS, Labourer.
http://www.southpethertoninformation.org.uk/marriages_1871.htm

http://www.southpethertoninformation.org.uk/SP%20baptisms%201870%20-%201874.htm
baptism: 5 Apr 1874  of  Edwin George DUNSTONE born 5 Feb 1874 to Simeon DUNSTONE, labourer and Mary of  South Petherton

I can't find though, baptism's for Edwin's younger siblings Sidney or Ann on those databases.

Ann (Annie) is the one born abt 1878, married TOWNSEND in Australia?
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~mark_searle/townsend-p/p66.htm#i7151

Per FREEBMD:
Edwin George's birth was registered in Yeovil 1874
Sydney (as Sidney) looks to have been registerd in Yeovil 1876.
There are births of Ann DUNSTONE registered in Yeovil and Redruth 1877 - 1878

So it could be possible, that  the family did move to Redruth Cornwall where Ann may have been born and registered  and perhaps both she and Sidney baptised there.   It  sounds unimaginable to us nowadays - but it's also possible Edwin was not entirely sure where Redruth was, only that he lived there as a child, and didn't know he was actually born in South Petherton. Or perhaps he did know, and just made a mistake on the document you have - if  considered himself 'from Redruth' but knew he was actually born in Somerset.

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline emmalydia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 November 08 00:03 GMT (UK) »
This is a thank you message for Ambly - is this how I do it - could you let me know if you receive this message - first time I have used this site and still a bit confused.  Great to have everything that I have found confirmed - now I am encouraged to look for more info.

Emmalydia

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 November 08 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emmalydia

Received loud and clear  ;D You're welcome!

Do you already have the South Petherton Census details for the Simeon with parents John and Mary/Maria?
Just let us know if you need them looked up for you.

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline emmalydia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 November 08 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Hooray, this is brilliant.  Yes I have census details.  Have just been on the South Petherton site and it is wonderful.  Picked up John's dob and marriage details (Maria is actually Elizabeth - it changes over the censuses)  I must get in touch with the SP people and thank them for all the work they have done - makes life easy for Australians.  Must stop now for a few days - going crosseyed at the moment.  Have also found John's parents names so am on the way back further in time.  Thank you again for your help much appreciated!!

Offline 69lethal

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 February 11 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Emmalydia,

Simeon Dunstone is also my Great Grand Father. My Great Grandfather was Edwin George Dunstone and my Grandfather was Simeon George Thomas Dunstone. My Great Grandfather was Emma Lydia Hartwig. My Mother is Wendy Christine Dunstone.

Hope to be able to contact you to swap info. I have a photo of Simeon Dunstone & Mary Davey/Davis and some also of my Grandfather Simeon.

Kind Regards,
Lee Fuller
Adelaide

Offline emmalydia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 February 11 03:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lee,  I've been wondering what had happened to you.  We corresponded in 2006 when you were in the RAAF and I didn't get a reply to my last email to you so thought you must have moved on.   I have done a lot of work on the Dunstone family since then but have no photos and would love some.  As you have been using the South Petherton site as well you probably have the same information as I do but it would be good to double check with one another.  I am just back from holidays but will look through all my Dunstone info and see if there is anything there that may interest you.   Do you have any specific questions?
Second cousin Helen from Sydney - you will know why my name for this forum is Emmalydia!