Author Topic: Gt Grandfather Arthur Jex - pilot WW1  (Read 4182 times)

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gt Grandfather Arthur Jex - pilot WW1
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Great find on Ancestry Ady, but I'm still not convinced that MIC is him personally.
His insignia looks like a Sgt rather than an air mechanic, but I will try to check.

And it gives his rank as Sgt with a number 5757 (his number?)
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Neil
The phots 1918 he went to France in 1915 im sure they are mechanics badges on his arm above stripes
I aggree he Sgt on the pics and 5757 may be his RAF number if he was a quald pilot and good at his job theres no reason for him not been promoted.
Dont forget MICs record the first rank and unit that you deployed overseas with.

Ady :)
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline McVitie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 12:41 GMT (UK) »

Dear all,

I am in a state of utter disbelief on what I've read from you all! This is probably the best family tale/find I've ever found and I am truly thankful for your very generous help here. I thought I'd post too on the 1914-18 site too, and it turns out the photo is of him in a POW in Germany having been shot down - unbelievable!

Ady - is there any chance you could PM that photo - my mum would just love to see it! Again we had no idea he had qualified as a pilot pre 1914 - my granddad Stan Jex never mentioned his father's role in the War but why, only he knows (perhaps he wasn't even aware himself?).

This day is getting better and better!

Kenners
Kennedys (Skye), MacIntyres (Skye), Macleans (South/North Uist), Macdonalds (Skye/South/North Uist), MacKinnons (Skye), MacInnes (Small Isles), Macraes (Kintail/Harris), Morrisons (Kintail), Buchanans (Skye), Maclures (Skye)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
5757 is his Aero Club of GB membership number he joined in March 1918 listed as Sgt RFC.
Lived in Northants,Peterborough

:)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline Stebie9173

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Mmmm, I feel a trip to Peterborough Library coming on.....

Now where's my hard hat? (they're in the middle of renovations)

He lived about 300 yards from where I am sitting right now....

Steve.
Researching : Beeby (Titchmarsh / Peterborough), Brooksbank (Peterborough), Northamptonshire Regiment 1914-1918

Offline McVitie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 13:02 GMT (UK) »

Hi Stebie

Wow what a coincidence!!!

Just for info, I'm attaching the reverse side of his earlier photo, which gives his dad's address in Lynn, Norfolk, but they moved to Peterborough where my mum was born..

Kindest regards and thanks for all your help.

Mcvitie
Kennedys (Skye), MacIntyres (Skye), Macleans (South/North Uist), Macdonalds (Skye/South/North Uist), MacKinnons (Skye), MacInnes (Small Isles), Macraes (Kintail/Harris), Morrisons (Kintail), Buchanans (Skye), Maclures (Skye)

Offline Suttonrog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 15:02 GMT (UK) »
If you have Ancestry I think I have found his pension details.

He joined up in October and was discharged in Nov 1914 as having a weak right ankle due to a previous injury.

Born in Kings Lyne 1890, married to Susannah May Jex (nee Sheffeild) of  28 Maynes Walk Perterborough,

Is this him?

Rog

Rog

Offline McVitie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rog

Thank you kindly for your reply - indeed that is Arthur and Susannah was his wife.

Funnily enough, I downloaded about 6 pages of his Service Record (is this his pension record?) a week or so ago, on a free trial, and when I discovered he was discharged due to his ankle, before being allowed to join up, I assumed  he had no further role in the War, and lo and behold a week later I learn he's enlisted as a pilot!

Still can't get over my head round any of this yet!!
Kind regards
Mcvitie