Author Topic: Blog: "Nothing But Bad Times"  (Read 53498 times)

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Blog: "Nothing But Bad Times"
« Reply #243 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Nothing But Bad Times: Chapter Thirteen, Part One

The story continues to Christmas time 1940, and this Christmas was not a happy one at all.  For amongst all the wartime spirit and Winston Churchill's fiery inspirational speeches, the Russell's were grieving. They had been plagued by a double tragedy that would leave its mark on the family for generations to come. The death of Michael in June and Francis in December had brought Nellie to a a staggering halt, and she  found comfort only from her mother's letters that came from miles away. And by the following month, Mary Ann could no longer write, she herself was dying, and she knew it. Nellie travelled up to see her for the last time in January 1941, with her family. They had been scarred yes, but Mary Ann told her that she was being tested by God. “You will prove yourself worthy of Heaven” she would say. Even in this dark hour, it amazes me how strong she kept her faith.

Mary Ann now lay in her bed all day everyday, and Maggie, Barney and Nellie gathered around her with their children. My grandmother and her cousin Agnes Hughes helped Barney sit her up to get her ready to eat...eat at least something. She did so, for she was not completely paralysed, she was simply exhausted. She was dying, and the family knew it, thus why everyone was gathered. Then the two grandchildren combed her long, black hair for her, and tidied her up a bit. Mary Ann's hair stayed black right until death, despite her being now 78 years old. She also kept starlings outside of the house, in cages that hung from the guttering. They were now silent, and Mary Ann knew her time had come. Her God would call her very soon, and she would meet him. Her life, her struggle, was nearly over. But her story was by no means over..

She called her children to the bedside individually. I do not know what she told Maggie and Barney, but she called Nellie and she went to her. Mary Ann, now struggling to breathe, told Nellie that she wanted her to have all of her personal possessions. She had not left a will, but stated clearly that Nellie was to keep the following items:

A necklace she received whilst a Domestic Servant in Glasgow. It was called “Faith, Hope and Charity” and was to be given to Nellie's daughter Mary Ann (my great aunt) after her death. It is a gold chain comprising of a heart, crucifix, and harp. It stays in the family to this day.
An oil painting of her Patrick Hughes in his uniform just before he started his war service in 1914.
A painting of “The Holy Family” that was given to either Catherine Owens or Mary Ann which had come into the family's possession after it was given to them by an employer. It probably came from the same family that the necklace did.
Two photographs of Mary Ann taken by the Russell's before they moved down to Corby. Both show Mary Ann with two of her grandchildren. There is another photograph of Mary Ann in existence which Agnes Hughes has. The fourth has been lost. It was taken when Mary Ann was in her 50's, or thereabouts.

Mary Ann barely managed to speak now but she told Nellie how sorry she was about Michael and Francis' death, and she seeped a few silent tears. Mary Ann, again, told her “they are at peace now Nellie. But it won't stop the pain. Only your faith can stop the pain Nellie”. These were obviously not the exact words she said, but I imagine I am fairly close to understanding what those words would have been. As January ended, Mary Ann showed no signs of deteriorating further. Although she was close to meeting her God and being reunited with her “old” family, she was doing the best she could to stay in this world. She fought and fought and fought. It was almost as if she was at war with herself. Maybe it had become second nature to her, to resist? Nevertheless this great woman's life was coming to an end, and she did her best to slow down the onset. She had now been in this paralysed state for nine months, and wasn't ready to go yet until she had said her goodbyes...

Copyright © Matthew Reay, 2008
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JJbeech

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 19:59 GMT (UK) »
No wonder you love this woman Raeybo!!
 :o :o she was amazing!!
if only we had such grit nowadays!!!
You're doing her proud with your wonderful portrait of her life!!
Keep up the good work, but keep enjoying it!!
 :P
jj

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Nothing But Bad Times: Chapter Thirteen, Part Two

As February broke, the cold snappy air was nothing seen since December, that cold, cold December.  Things had settled in 2 Nimmo's Row's and Barney had moved back into his own house in Stevenston Street. But he kept a close eye on his mum and visited every day. Nellie had to take her children back down to Corby to see Harry, and was on standby in case anything did happen and she was needed. For the next three weeks Mary Ann lay in bed and did not move. She had developed soars and although Barney did all he could to keep her active, he could not. Other forces were against him, after all she was dying. She would not recover from this. On February 8 1941, her condition deteriorated, Her eyes became weakened, and her right side was now completely limp. Mary Ann also had heart disease, only established after death of course. This had also weakened her severely. She was now starting to fade away.

Later that day, about 2pm, Barney came to see her with his daughter Agnes. She hugged her granny, she knew what was going on. “I'll miss you Granny”. By now Mary Ann was confused, and the end was very near. She had misunderstood Agnes. “I...love you too...hen”, she whispered, groggy voiced and weary. As Barney tried to speak to his mum, she simply turned her head and looked at him. She lifted her left hand, and it flopped down beside her again. She was too weak to move. Her strength had gone.

Agnes sat on Barney's lap and all of a sudden Mary Ann let out a hard sigh. This continued for a while and it soon became clear she was losing her breath. Agnes stood up and moved over to her granny, peered over her bed and said “Granny, where will the birds go?”, referring to the starlings she kept outside. Mary Ann smiled briefly, something which she must have missed a lot during her days on this earth. She laughed briefly, although in much discomfort. Barney took his daughter and told her to run home to get her dinner. “Tell mammy that granny says bye bye”. Cissie would have known that when Agnes delivered this message, Mary Ann had passed away. She had lost her father just weeks before in January, and after she told Mary Ann her father had died, she replied thus: “You know what hen, I won't be long after him”. To know you are dying and to keep the strength she did, is a lesson and I think an inspiration to us all.

Alone now with his mother, Barney saw his daughter away down the row and paced over to the bed. His mother looked him as he leant over her, and he kissed her head. She had a tissue in her paralysed hand covered in blood. My gran says that because of her stroke Mary Ann's hand was fixed in a clutched position, and her fingernails would often penetrate her skin, so Barney put a tissue in her hand to keep her from hurting herself. Breathing very heavily, Mary Ann grumbled. She was trying to speak to him, but she could hardly put a sentence together. “Barney” she said, and closed her eyes. The panting stopped, and Mary Ann stopped breathing. “Mum” he said, panicking. He got no answer, but then the panting started again. She was still hanging on. If I was Barney, I would have been very moved. I would have been watching the strongest person I knew, lose the resilience that had defined her entire life.

Evening drew close now and Barney sat by the fire in 2 Nimmo's Row's, trying to keep his mother warm. He placed a warming pan underneath her sheets, knowing that his mother would be dead before it got cold, but he wanted to make her passing as comfortable as possible. Mary Ann let out a groan again and as Barney approached her and held her, she uttered her last word. “Bernard”.

At 4.45 that Saturday evening, the eighth day of February 1941, Mary Ann gave up her fight, and slipped peacefully into unconsciousness. Soon afterwards in the company of her only surviving son, she passed away in her home of thirty four years. It was thirty three years to the day since the death of her youngest child, Catherine Hughes. For Nellie, she had lost two of her baby sons and her mother in the space of eight months. Mary Ann was the second eldest of her siblings, and the penultimate child of Bernard Owens and Eliza Fox to pass away. Her brother Joseph outlived her by fourteen months, dying on April 23 1942 in Camlachie, Glasgow.

Mary Ann was buried in St Patrick's Cemetery, New Stevenston, on February 10. Nellie came up from Corby that same day and although she missed the burial, she visited her grave and paid her own respects to her mother, who in her darkest hour, had been her beacon of hope. The Owens generation had gone. Her sister's widowers, James Donnachie and James Carey, both died shortly after the closure of the Second World War. Joseph Owen's widow, Rose McGinty, was the very last to die. She died in 1954. But the story doesn't end here...

Copyright © Matthew Reay, 2008

corby-boy

« Reply #246 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Just read you blogg Matt....Excellent, Proud you are a Corby lad

Offline kesannah

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Well done Matt.!

I shall look forward to the next part.

You do realise I shall be awake half the night wondering what is coming next.

Might even get up and see if you have written more. ;)
Hide/Hyde Kent,Sussex,West Ham
Beale/Burgess Sussex
Reed West Ham,East Ham London
Banks Seaford,Rottingdean Sussex
Koller Poplar London,Como Italy.
Checkley Northamptonshire.
Bentley Northamptonshire.West Ham,Poplar
Ridley Gatehead Durham Northumberland.
Poplar.Galt, Ontario, Canada
Corbyn Poplar,West Ham.Suffolk
Merritt Norwich.West ham
Watson Norwich,West Ham

Corbyn Fressingield Suffolk
Ridley.Galt Ontario

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Oh Matt

Briliant...just brilliant,  what more can i say,   all this must be so draining for you to write and re-live,   so thanks so much for doing it for all of us .

Daizi 
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 20:43 GMT (UK) »
LOL kes.

I want to keep writing about Mary Ann lol.

Stretched it as long as I could...didn't want her to die  :(

Ahh well there's more to come, but the majority of the storytelling is over. Next comes the philosophy, lol!

TY for comments peeps :)

Offline kesannah

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Matt,
Mary Ann had her time-and what a time she had. As for the philosphy it is not a bad thing to have and to practice.

I shall no doubt speak to you tomorrow.

Kesannah
Hide/Hyde Kent,Sussex,West Ham
Beale/Burgess Sussex
Reed West Ham,East Ham London
Banks Seaford,Rottingdean Sussex
Koller Poplar London,Como Italy.
Checkley Northamptonshire.
Bentley Northamptonshire.West Ham,Poplar
Ridley Gatehead Durham Northumberland.
Poplar.Galt, Ontario, Canada
Corbyn Poplar,West Ham.Suffolk
Merritt Norwich.West ham
Watson Norwich,West Ham

Corbyn Fressingield Suffolk
Ridley.Galt Ontario

Offline VillageDuckpond

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Matt

What a wonderfully well-told story about an amazing woman. Thank you for sharing it with us all. I am sure that Mary Ann would be so very proud of you.

Sasha
Barnett, Cousins, Flett, Foot, Foote, Fox, Graves, Grunnah, Rackstraw, Shipley, Vinter, Wasko, Wilson