Author Topic: Blog: "Nothing But Bad Times"  (Read 53504 times)

Offline aussieshirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Blog: "Nothing But Bad Times"
« Reply #279 on: Thursday 04 December 08 11:23 GMT (UK) »
congratulations Matt, excellent story told excellently!!
photos fantastic too

all the best, aussieshirl. :) :)
researching; elphick friend woolgar mcnanley watson gribble irwin shaw lindsay butler pratt payne heslop mcdowell mccormick
location; kent manchester ireland northern ireland fife london and australia

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: Thursday 04 December 08 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Congratulations Matt,

My laptop has been letting me down for the last few days, so I nearly starved for want of access to "Nothing But Bad Times".

I do hope you have been approached from Judi Dench for movie rights etc.  None but the Dame to play Mary Ann.

Will catch you in the chatroom as soon as this temporary PC is back at the Puter Doctors, and my own laptop is back on my desk in fine working order.

Well Done,

MA

I am a great grand daughter of Mary Ann HUNT who on marriage became Mrs John Smith - as in John and Mary Smith.  They faced tragedy, but not wave after wave after wave.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: Thursday 04 December 08 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Matt

What a wonderful story! I must admit, I have had a weep several times ....most especially when I saw the headstone of Michael and Francis.

deb
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: Thursday 04 December 08 14:17 GMT (UK) »
It really shows the value of a narratiive account as opposed to all the usual dates and facts and figures.

Recently trying to put together an account of My Holmes various emigrations. Only when you really sort out dates and the exact order that things took place can you begin to try to inderstand the possible reasons for the way things happened

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline jesstidd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: Thursday 04 December 08 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Well done Matt. You have done a great job in portraying your family history. Wish I could do the same to pass down to mine. Good luck in the future. jess

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: Thursday 04 December 08 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys, thanks once more for all the support.

I now move to another thread, where I am going to write another story, this time it is the account of how I found all the information I did, and my own personal journey to Holytown earlier this year.

I hope you find it as enjoyable as this one. You'll find it here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=346017.new

Regards,
Matt
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maria Reid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 12:58 BST (UK) »
I hope you all enjoyed reading about my family,( many of whom are still living) being dramatised like some type of soap opera, Mary Ann Owen's Granddaughter is still living and is shocked to see the amount of untruths and events that no twenty something boy could possibly know about dragged out over 32 pages and with the cheek to copyright. According to this blog it would seem that the author has discovered all of these people and researched the information on his own. This could not be further from the truth. My mother is still living and she told the author most of the info, but he has without respect and consideration made what was private family information into a public display which he has dramatised beyond belief. So to all of you hanging onto his every word and those of you who awaited the next installment with baited breath, consider that this is a family's life and private affairs you are all taking great pleasure from.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: Thursday 16 June 16 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi there  Maria,

May I please take up some minutes of your time, and ask you to consider the following: 

I am one of those who encouraged Matt back in 2008.   I notice you joined RChat back in 2014.  It is a great place for family history buffs to help each other, and to share.   It is also a great place because it is easily found via google searchings with key words.  And it is a great place because it has rules about how we need to refrain from identifying living people.

May I mention that I have quickly checked, via RChat’s own search options, and I can see where Matt R definitely informs us that he has received information from his relatives.  But as a sensible RChatter, he respected the privacy of those living people and he does not identify them.   Here is the live link to a thread where, back in August 2006, Matt asks for some help with his family history research.  Notice that in his opening post he writes “Relatives tell me that my g g granny Mary Ann OWENS …..”
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=179853.0

I haven’t looked further, but I am sure that it is most likely there's many other occasions that Matt R asked for assistance here at RChat either on the written boards, or more likely in the chatroom.  I well remember him in the chatroom, helping newbies with quality tips on how to research, what to look for, how to protect the privacy of the living, how not to cause offense, how to respect other opinions and how to validate your own research.  I don’t spend time in the chatroom, as I spend more time on the boards, particularly the Australia board. 

I am sure that there’s nothing in Matt’s words that identifies yourself, just as I am sure that he has been particularly careful in how he introduced anyone born later than 1900 in his 2008 posts.

Maria, I am sorry that you have felt we were being dramatic or that Matt was writing a Soap Opera.  Matt’s writing is actually following a format/style/structure that is easy and interesting to read, and is familiar to many readers of 19th century local family history.     I do disagree with your comment about copyright.   I am in Australia, so I am not familiar with UK copyright laws.  But I do know that copyright is the legal right of the originator of the script of the story.   It is not a right over the story of Mary Ann, but it is a legal right in this instance given to the writer (the author) , to control the use of his own words  in an original work that he has made.   So it protects Matt’s original expression of the story about his gg granny, Mary Ann, but it is not a claim by Matt to own the facts about Mary Ann’s life.   In Australia an author’s copyright exists for a set amount of time.  I am not sure if that applies in the UK.

Maria, please reassure your Mum that we have not been disrespectful towards Matt and your family, and that we wish you well.   I too have g granny named Mary Ann, also born in a land far far away, back in the middle of the 19th Century.   She too struggled, and faced many hurdles.   I believe that many many many women faced hurdles and that us women in the 21st century are most fortunate for quite a number of those hurdles no longer exist.

Cheers from New South Wales, Australia, and again, I am sorry that you and your mother are upset after reading the thread.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline VillageDuckpond

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 18:09 GMT (UK) »
I have just come across this blog and remember Matt very well in the Chatroom years ago and although I never met him personally certainly didn't get the feeling he had any intention of upsetting other people. On the contrary he appeared as a very helpful young man and I am so saddened by what I have just read.

Villageduckpond

Hi there  Maria,

May I please take up some minutes of your time, and ask you to consider the following: 

I am one of those who encouraged Matt back in 2008.   I notice you joined RChat back in 2014.  It is a great place for family history buffs to help each other, and to share.   It is also a great place because it is easily found via google searchings with key words.  And it is a great place because it has rules about how we need to refrain from identifying living people.

May I mention that I have quickly checked, via RChat’s own search options, and I can see where Matt R definitely informs us that he has received information from his relatives.  But as a sensible RChatter, he respected the privacy of those living people and he does not identify them.   Here is the live link to a thread where, back in August 2006, Matt asks for some help with his family history research.  Notice that in his opening post he writes “Relatives tell me that my g g granny Mary Ann OWENS …..”
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=179853.0

I haven’t looked further, but I am sure that it is most likely there's many other occasions that Matt R asked for assistance here at RChat either on the written boards, or more likely in the chatroom.  I well remember him in the chatroom, helping newbies with quality tips on how to research, what to look for, how to protect the privacy of the living, how not to cause offense, how to respect other opinions and how to validate your own research.  I don’t spend time in the chatroom, as I spend more time on the boards, particularly the Australia board. 

I am sure that there’s nothing in Matt’s words that identifies yourself, just as I am sure that he has been particularly careful in how he introduced anyone born later than 1900 in his 2008 posts.

Maria, I am sorry that you have felt we were being dramatic or that Matt was writing a Soap Opera.  Matt’s writing is actually following a format/style/structure that is easy and interesting to read, and is familiar to many readers of 19th century local family history.     I do disagree with your comment about copyright.   I am in Australia, so I am not familiar with UK copyright laws.  But I do know that copyright is the legal right of the originator of the script of the story.   It is not a right over the story of Mary Ann, but it is a legal right in this instance given to the writer (the author) , to control the use of his own words  in an original work that he has made.   So it protects Matt’s original expression of the story about his gg granny, Mary Ann, but it is not a claim by Matt to own the facts about Mary Ann’s life.   In Australia an author’s copyright exists for a set amount of time.  I am not sure if that applies in the UK.

Maria, please reassure your Mum that we have not been disrespectful towards Matt and your family, and that we wish you well.   I too have g granny named Mary Ann, also born in a land far far away, back in the middle of the 19th Century.   She too struggled, and faced many hurdles.   I believe that many many many women faced hurdles and that us women in the 21st century are most fortunate for quite a number of those hurdles no longer exist.

Cheers from New South Wales, Australia, and again, I am sorry that you and your mother are upset after reading the thread.

JM
Barnett, Cousins, Flett, Foot, Foote, Fox, Graves, Grunnah, Rackstraw, Shipley, Vinter, Wasko, Wilson