Author Topic: Require help looking for someone who travelled from UK to States  (Read 2337 times)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Require help looking for someone who travelled from UK to States
« on: Wednesday 19 November 08 23:34 GMT (UK) »
My gt Uncle Thomas Borthwick was born January 1896 in Leith, Midlothian, Scotland.
He emigrated to The States but I do not know when.
I think he married a lady called Violet Donaldson.  I cannot find a marriage in Scotland so assume, if he did marry her, he married on board ship or in The States.
I understand they had a son, James Borthwick in The States, possibly around 1920.

Apart from Thomas' place and date of birth, and the fact that he moved to The States, I am not 100% sure of the other information - it should be fairly accurate but I'm relying on the memory of my 81 yo mother.

Can anyone guide me in the correct direction in order that I can find details of his trip and if possible details of his marriage and any children?

Any help you can give me is appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Require help looking for someone who travelled from UK to States
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 23:37 GMT (UK) »
I've found him on findmypast.com -

Name:      Thomas BORTHWICK
Date of departure:    23 October 1923       
Port of departure:    Greenock    
Passenger destination port:    Boston, USA    
Passenger destination:    Boston, USA    
Date of Birth:    1896 (calculated from age)
Marital status:    
Sex:    Male
Passenger recorded on:    Page 4 of 49

MEGANTIC
G Berry
White Star
Boston, USA

He seems to be travelling by himself. According to the record, his last known address in the UK was at 197 Claythorn Street, Glasgow.

Stephen :)
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 November 08 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Stephen,
I am so impressed  ;D.
And so quick too.

As I was reading your post, I was thinking 1923 was too late.
BUT, when I got to your last sentence and you mentioned the address.  Yeeha!

197 Claythorn St is the address of his brother, my grandfather's at the time of his marriage in 1926.

Well done and thank you very much.  You've made my night and I know Mum will be delighted.  She was born 1927 and never met her Uncle.

Cheers
Dave
-------------------

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 November 08 01:15 GMT (UK) »
The Social Security Death Index has a Thomas Borthwick born 24 Jan. 1896 who died Apr. 1981.  His last residence was Lakehust, New Jersey and his Social Security # was issued in New Jersey.

1930 Census, Elizabeth, New Jersey, 1016 Sheridan Ave.
Borthwick, Thomas, head, rents home for $37, owns radio set, male, white, age 34, married, age at first marriage - 32, born Scotland, parents born Scotland, immigrated 1923, papers for naturalization filed, occupation - collector, elec. office, not a veteran
Borthwick, Violet D., wife, female, white, age 25, married, age at first married - 23, born Scotland, parents born Scotland, immigrated 1923, alien, occupation - assembler, Elec. Inst. Mfg.

WWII Draft Registration Card  27 Apr. 1942
Thomas Borthwick
126 Elm St., Elizabeth, New Jersey
born 23 Jan. 1896 in Scotland
Person who will always know his addres:  Violet Borthwick, same address
Employer:  Simmons Co., Brunswick Ave., Linden, New Jersey
White, 5 ft. 8 ins. tall, 139 lbs.
blue eyes, brown hair, light brown complexion

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 November 08 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Shelley,
That's amazing too.  Thank you.

I really wasn't expecting responses like this.  I was just looking for pointers on where to look.

It's got to be him because his birthday was 24 Jan.1896

Where would I access the Death Index and does it give more information than you've stated?
Do you know how I could go about getting a death certificate or at least details of it.  I'm still hoping to find details of his wife and child(ren).

Dave

-------------------

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 November 08 01:33 GMT (UK) »
I just added the Census info to my previous post, so that gives a rough idea of when Thomas & Violet married. 

The Social Security Death Index is here:  http://ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi  It gives the person's Social Security number, as well as the info I listed above.  For a death certificate, you'd have to apply to the state where the person died.  If he did happen to die in New Jersey, the information on getting a death certificate is here:  http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/tips.shtml 

Violet Borthwick is on the Social Security Death Index as well, with a death date of Nov. 1982 and same last residence town as Thomas.

You might want to try e-mailing the Ocean County Library to see if there are obituaries or other information you could get for Thomas & Violet.  http://theoceancountylibrary.org/Link2Topic/genealogy.htm

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 November 08 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dave, At long last I can reciprocate and offer you some help!!  ;D  There is a great group in the USA called RAOGK (Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness)..www.raogk  -- they have people who can contact funeral homes for you AND in some counties there are wonderful volunteers who will take photos of tombstones, etc. ...Many times, funeral homes have information on next of kin. In their listings, the volunteers outline what they can do to assist!  Do give RAOGK a try....Much success in your hunt!  Pat
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 November 08 02:02 GMT (UK) »
You guys have been fantastic.
Shelley, all that stuff is great. 
Amongst other things, it confirms his wife was indeed Violet - I wasn't sure my mum had that right.
The level of detail in what you've supplied - well, what can I say!

Pat,  8) you know I wasn't expecting anything in return.  That's what RC is all about.  I'll certainly look into RAOGK.

and I'll look at Shelley's links and follow the suggestions given.

Stephen, I've already gone onto FindMyPast and downloaded the images available.

Thanks a lot all. 

Can you tell I'm pleased?  ;D

Dave 
-------------------

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 November 08 02:04 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the passenger list manifest that Stephen mentioned, it says that Thomas was going to Newark, New Jersey, so that seems to fit with the later information.  He was joining friend William Murray, 41 South Street, Newark.

I also found a passenger list record for the SS Caledonia from Glasgow 21 Aug. 1936 to New York for James Borthwick, age 73 and widowed, born Loanhead, Scotland going to visit his son Thomas of Sheridan Avenue, Elizabeth, New Jersey.  James' last permanent residence was Glasgow.  There is something handwritten that is hard to read, but looks something like "Dr. Cert Senility Landing Justified".  It was stated that he was coming to the US for three months.  It says James was previously in New Jersey from 1865-1869.  His nearest relative in the country from whence he came was son George Borthwick, 70 XXXX Street.  James was noted to be 5'9" tall with a dark complexion, dark brown hair, grey eyes, and a slightly crippled right leg. 

I think I've found Violet's trip to the US:
SS Megantic, Greenock to Boston, arriving 1 Nov. 1923
Donaldson, Violet, age 18, female, single, occupation - French polisher, last permanent residence - Dalmuir, Scotland, nearest relative - mother Mrs. Lily Donaldson, 12 Burns St. Dalmuir, final destination - Elizabeth, NJ, going to join father Alex Donaldson, 80 2nd Street, Elizabeth, planned to stay in US permanently, 5'6" tall, fresh complexion, fair hair, and gray eyes, born Arbroath.  There are markings on the manifest that indicate Violet applied for naturalization in or before 1941.