Author Topic: 101st MG Company Pictures  (Read 5795 times)

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
101st MG Company Pictures
« on: Thursday 20 November 08 05:53 GMT (UK) »
My understanding is that the 101st Machine  Gun Company joined  the 34th Division on 27 April 1916 and moved into No 34 Batallion, MGC  on 26 February 1918. The 34th arrive in France/Flanders theatre in January 1916. I also understand that the 101MGC, in which both my great uncles served (and survived), trained at Grantham. From their files I attach two photos, one which is I think the training group at Grantham and the second is their battle buddies in France/Flanders. I would welcome hearing from anyone who can identify people or information contained in either photo. Thanks Lumber-Jack
Cook, Coggins, Rutherford, Wheatley - Northumberland, Cumberland, Scotland, Australia
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline kelz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 101st MG Company Pictures
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 11:26 GMT (UK) »
hi there, you may have forgotten about this post as it was made in 2008 but i just wanted to mention that my great grandfather was in 101st mgc and trained at grantham. his name was George Henry Quincey and was a corporal. i have found a number of photographs of him and his company and have been looking closely at the photos that you have posted. my grandmother has also looked at your photos and cant help but think that in the small group photo that he is 2nd from left, back row. please, if you could confirm/disprove this, i would be very greatful. unfortunately, my scanner isnt working at the moment but as soon as i get it working, i shall post the photos that my gran gave to me allong with a scan of my great grandads compressed cardboard dog tags. Also, any information that you may be able to pass my way on the 101st mgc would be appreciated. I already have info on when they left for france and became part of 34th and also most of the offensives that he took part in. I also found out that he was demoted for a short period due to going AWOL to find his brother who was fighting not too far away, they spent the night at a local ale house behind the lines but i dont know where. I am finding it hard to find info on the 101st on the internet and so had to do a lot of legwork to get what i know, so obviously, if anyone else can help me, im all ears. thank you

Offline genechaser

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 12:07 GMT (UK) »
A Band of Brothers

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kelz and Genechaser,

The MGC was a tough place to serve in WW1..... not liked as they fought unfairly and not in the traditional charge of cavalry and always the objective was to take out the machine gun "nest". It is amazing how my great uncles fought throughout WW1 and survived. I got those pictures from their sister, my grandmother. Sorry, I cannot identify the individuals except George Martin Coggins (centre back in the Vickers Machine Gun crew photo) but perhaps other Roots Chatters can help. I look forward to your images from your great grandfather . I am not sure how to send you a write up and images from this list. Lumber-Jack

Cook, Coggins, Rutherford, Wheatley - Northumberland, Cumberland, Scotland, Australia
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline kelz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 18:50 GMT (UK) »
here is my great grandad, second from right on second row. unfortunately, my scanner still dosent want to play ball with the other pictures but i will sort it.

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kelz....what a wonderful picture....do you know where it was taken? In the field or the home training camp? L-J
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline kelz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 20:38 GMT (UK) »
It is an extremely good quality photograph isnt it, as are the others because my grandma cherished them as she cherished her father. This one im told was taken somewhere near Vimy Ridge and on the back it is set out as a postcard (as many were) but in french. But i do also have a well kept picture of him, im guessing in training as its in english on the back and their equipment is far too neat and clean to have seen any kind of service. Also, in said picture, the cap badge seems to be just a plain button instead of two crossed machine guns. If anyone knows of the purpose of these plain buttons, i would be very interested to find out.

Offline kelz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Here is corporal G H Quincey before leaving for La Crosse, France in 1916

Offline kelz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile