Author Topic: Has anyone had this happen? What is Dads 1st name  (Read 5524 times)

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone had this happen? What is Dads 1st name
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 November 08 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Monica: I haven't checked the original census yet. I've looked at Freecen & someone on another major site transcribed it themselves & you can download it from there also, both have Adam as 45 yrs old. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check the original censuses at SP.

flst: Thank you very much for the information. I'll trace this couple & see if it leads me to my Matthew family.

ghostwhiperer: Thank you, you've been very helpful. I've e-mailed you.

I'm not sure what has went on, either his name isn't Adam, the age is way out of line, or this family wasn't registered. I think I read somewhere that it cost money to register a birth & maybe they didn't have any.

Cordially,
Lisa

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 23 November 08 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Have either of you checked out the Fyvie M.I.'s?There are 23 Matthew names in the graveyard of Fyvie.The Aberdeen & North East Scotland Family History Society has a searchable index for them.You would need the actual book to get the wording of the inscriptions.This may help you sort out who's who.
Have you considered looking up the poor relief records for the parish of Fyvie?Jean Smith states she's a pauper in 1851.If she applied for poor relief there will be a mine of information on her!The records are held in Old Aberdeen.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 23 November 08 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have the Fyvie book and have been there and photographed them all. Haven't, gone down the poor record route but that may be of some help. As I say this line isn't my direct line but have quite a bit of info and am sort of sure'ish that its sort of right....maybe. My line is that Adam's Father's brother.............I think  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 24 November 08 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks flst

I didn't know that poor relief records would hold much information. Are these records on line?
I've searched the M.I.'s at the Aberdeen & North East Family History Society & haven't had any luck at all. I've gone through all of them not just Fyvie in case they moved. Is there more M.I.'s for Aberdeen that aren't on line?

Thanks again,
Lisa

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 24 November 08 15:43 GMT (UK) »
The application forms for poor relief do contain a lot of information!If you go into Aberdeenshire Archives,there's a link for Aberdeen City Archives.The Old Aberdeen House office holds the Aberdeenshire records.There is a contact email address on that page.These records are not online but you can request help.I do n't know if there any more M.I's available for this area.The family history society is the best source as far as I know.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline avondene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 04 February 10 09:27 GMT (UK) »
William Matthew & his wife Barbara Grieve had the tenancy of this farm.They had 3 sons,William,Robert & James.By the way,Bulwark is a district on the south side of the village of Maud.It is mainly a farming area but at one time it had a tailor,carpenter,blacksmith,& grocer.There were many crofts & the Bulwark school remained open until 1948.If you trace this couple's marriage,you should find out who William's father was.Hopefully there will be a connection with your ancestor.If so,I can contact a lady who came here last year to see this place as she & her cousin were both grandchildren of William & Barbara Matthew.
Regards,
flst

Offline avondene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 04 February 10 10:11 GMT (UK) »
New to computer,new to family history.I think Barbara Grieve mentioned is daughter of my GGGrandfather George Grieve .I have got as far as George Grieve born 1792 in the Grieve line .Would like to get further ,any help?