Author Topic: Has anyone had this happen? What is Dads 1st name  (Read 5522 times)

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone had this happen? What is Dads 1st name
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 November 08 23:46 GMT (UK) »
The way I have this family is the Adam Matthew b.1794 who married Christian Burr was previously married to Martha Morrison on 8th Sep 1816 and had Adam Matthew in 1816 and William Matthew in 1819. This Adam married Jean Smith in 1839 who were the parents of John born 1840.

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 November 08 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi ghostwhisperer,

Well that sounds like it could be plausible. Have you been researching this tree or are these people part of your family tree?
I have searched for an Adam born to Adam & Martha, but just on the IGI's, & haven't had any luck finding any children born to them. I'll have to look on SP. The 1841 census has his age way wrong then & I can't find him in the 1851 so I have concluded that he died.
Thanks for that information
Lisa

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 November 08 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes I am a Matthew. I am related through Adam Matthew b.1794's brother George b. 1807 d. 1843 married to Ann Angus.

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 November 08 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi again ghostwhisperer,

I can hardly believe my good fortune to have spoke to a member of the Matthew family & to the person living in the Matthew farmhouse at Bulwark. Was that house at Bulwark part of our Matthew family? I am very curious about the Matthews'. Did more of them come to Canada? I have many questions, could we exchange e-mail addresses?
Sorry to be a bother.
Cordially,
Lisa

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 November 08 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Do you happen to have any pictures? All I have is a picture of Jane Smith Matthew b. 1866 & her husband.
Thanks,
Lisa

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 22 November 08 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hve just been checking my info and the children I have to Adam Matthew and Martha Morrison are
Adam b. 1816 m. Jean Smith 1839 d. ?
William b. 1819 m. Jane Moir 1855 d. ?
Isabel b. around 1826 m. William Cocker d. 1863.

I will pm you my email address

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 22 November 08 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa and Ghostwhisperer

Just a question from me  ::) Has anyone actually checked the original image for the 1841 census for Adam and wife Jane? The reason I ask is the age showing for Adam in 1841 (Lisa, this was from your post on the previous thread www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,311674.0.html:

1841 census (freecen) Fyvie Aberdeenshire, enumeration district 12, civil parish Fyvie, folio 12, page 7, address Mill of Gight

Matthew Adam male 45 ag lab born Aberdeen
Matthew Jean female 25  born Aberdeen
Matthew John male 1 born Aberdeen

The age above for Adam, if accurately transcribed, doesn't fit for him being son of Adam and Martha  :-\

Monica   :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 22 November 08 22:59 GMT (UK) »
William Matthew & his wife Barbara Grieve had the tenancy of this farm.They had 3 sons,William,Robert & James.By the way,Bulwark is a district on the south side of the village of Maud.It is mainly a farming area but at one time it had a tailor,carpenter,blacksmith,& grocer.There were many crofts & the Bulwark school remained open until 1948.If you trace this couple's marriage,you should find out who William's father was.Hopefully there will be a connection with your ancestor.If so,I can contact a lady who came here last year to see this place as she & her cousin were both grandchildren of William & Barbara Matthew.
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 22 November 08 23:43 GMT (UK) »
That William's parents were James Matthew b. 1827 and Jane McKnight b. 1834.