Author Topic: Please identify the regiment  (Read 8481 times)

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Please identify the regiment
« Reply #45 on: Monday 24 November 08 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Tom, I am learning a lot. :)
Ann E
Lacey, IOW, Lacey, Shearstone  SOM, Higgins, Tagg, Sammons, Jackson, Reeves Cowley, Wale OXFORD. Robert Collinson

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Anne, The History of The Black Watch movements fit in nicely with the marriage I found in Free BMD March ¼ 1915 (in the Farnham district ),do you know if  troops were given leave before going overseas? 
Thank you.
 Ann E

Hi Ann

The book mentions that: "New Year arrived (1915), and was celebrated by a Brigade inspection and march past on one of the wettest days of the whole winter.  Shortly afterwards four days leave with free pases to Scotland was granted to all ranks, a concession which was greatly appreciated."

This might fit in with your '1st Quarter' of the year which presumably runs from beginning of January to the end of March.  Not unless he was given leave to go and get married, or they had some weekends off.  But, it says the men had little time off from arduous training,  "officers and men had little leisure except on Sundays."

The only other leave mentioned was in August: "officers and men were sent to their homes on three days "farewell leave", and early in September it became clear that the 10th would soon be sent to France."

Anne  :)
Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay:

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne
Thank you for the additional info,” four days leave” appears to fit in well, I will look into this.
Ann E
Lacey, IOW, Lacey, Shearstone  SOM, Higgins, Tagg, Sammons, Jackson, Reeves Cowley, Wale OXFORD. Robert Collinson