Author Topic: please help medal card  (Read 775 times)

Offline Pammybun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
please help medal card
« on: Thursday 20 November 08 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have been trying to find out a bit more about my great Uncle who was killed in WW1.

I have managed to find out quite a few things - he died of wounds on 20/7/1918 and is buried at Wimille (I have grave numebr etc). I know he was a member of the Royal Highland regiment and have managed to track down his medal card - no luck so far on the service record.

The medal card is a complete mystery to me - I have tried other sites which tell you how to read the cards but the codes on my Uncles card don't seem to match up with anything.

The card reads:

G/102 B23 (under this is thr words "do" which I understand to be ditto - I am assuming he is on another card somewhere?????

His name is William Matthew and his regiment is 38213 and number 241259. The other thing that is puzzling me is that when he died he was a Lance Corporal but his medal card is listed as Private???

Also I understand his battalion which was also known as 6th (perthshire) battallion Balck Watch (royal Highland) was awarded the Croix de Guerre for a battle - (Chambrecy?) - could anyone tell me when this was?

Thank you so much for any help.

Pam :)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: please help medal card
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 November 08 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The numbers and letters refer to the actual medal rolls at Kew they are page reference numbers.
He was entitled to British War and Victory Medals...i dont think there will be another card.
He went to war after Jan 1916 as he has no 1915 Star.
Medal Index cards have the rank and unit on which he first deployed overseas with then if his number changed(frequently is the case) that would be recorded.
The Rolls at Kew will give battalion served and dates of enlistment and discharge but they arent searchable online.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Pammybun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: please help medal card
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 November 08 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much - that is much appreciated!

I don't know how I will get on with service record as I know that half records were lost in Blitz and also locally the Black Watch records were lost in a fire in the 1930's!

It is sad because his parents both died before he went to war and no-one seems to know who got his medals as he was not married.

But a massive thank you to you for your help.

Pam