Author Topic: Davies, of Llanddewi Aberarth  (Read 7905 times)

Offline pixiechick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Davies, of Llanddewi Aberarth
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 December 08 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks I am ordering Mary's birth certificate and the marriage certificate.

I have also been in touch with a very helpful chap in Aberarth who has given me some information from the Bethel chapel baptism records for David Davies  (Mary Jane's father) with all of his siblings names and dob's.  His father was William Davies  and mother Catherine. I am really pleased as this confirms my first thoughts that his father was William.

I then ordered William and Catherine's marriage certificate May 25th 1838 and William's father was David Davies farmer living at Hengwrt and Catherine's father was Evan Jones Mariner living at Penrheol, they were married at Llansantfraid.  I doubt I will be able to go back any further now as the census only started in 1841.

The John that you found living at Hengwrt on 1881 census with the twin girls turns out to be David's brother and family.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 December 08 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Have you thought about wills? As the farm seems to have been in the family for some years, it may be worth looking. Wills before 1858 are in the National Library in Aberystwyth.

http://www.llgc.org.uk/index.php?id=487
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Rainbow Turtle

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 July 09 12:16 BST (UK) »
I have just started researching the welsh side of my family with not much luck - probably due to, as previously stated, the commonality of many surnames!

I too have been looking for a Mary Davies who would be my Great Grandmother (can't find her daughter - my grandmother anywhere).  The Mary Jane Davies you mentioned at the beginning of this thread could be my great grandmother.  The help I need is how I can check that she is infact my relative.

This is the information I have - My father's mother was Margaret Davies (nee Evans) but I have not been able to trace his father (not mentioned on birth certificate) and as mentioned I cannot narrow down the many Margaret Evans' to find her birth certificate.  From the censuses I do know that the family had lived in Peniel Lane Aberayron for a few generations which is where I have gained information that her mother and father were Mary and William Evans.  I have information from a sons death certificate that Mary's father was David Davies of Goitre Cottage Aberayron and I believe William Evans died approx 1900.

This is all I have so far and would like help and where to go next to confirm Mary Davies is indeed the daughter of William and Jane and the correct Mary Davies to be the mother of Margaret Evans.  (I have not been able to work out which Mary Davies and William Evans is the correct marriage to be able to send for their certificate).

I am also keen to get some clues on how to find William Evans' death it seems he was a miner working as a timber man and colliery repavier so are there any records from the mines available?

Sorry about this really long first post of mine, and I hope it makes sense, but I got all excited to realised someone may be looking in a similar direction as me!

Hope to hear soon with some help.

Offline alism

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 31 July 09 18:27 BST (UK) »
pixiechick
Noticing the reference to Cette I thought you'd be interested in thre following information
from a Welsh poem I received  a copy of yesterday.
David Davies Swan ,Aberarth together with John Jones Esgerarth nd Thomas Jones lost their lives in a fire on board the
Edwards, Clayton, Lewis, Llanbadarn Fawr
Green Aberystwyth, S Africa
Jenkins Llanon Ceredigion, Davies Llanrhystyd

Offline alism

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 31 July 09 18:32 BST (UK) »

S.S. Rambler in December 1883. They were all stokers.

alism

1st message posted accidentally.
Edwards, Clayton, Lewis, Llanbadarn Fawr
Green Aberystwyth, S Africa
Jenkins Llanon Ceredigion, Davies Llanrhystyd

Offline pixiechick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thankyou so much for that information, I was so pleased to see my great grandad's name and the confirmation that he had died on board ship.  I didn't know the ships name either so that was interesting.
I wonder if you could give me the name of the poem and who wrote it so I can find it and show it to my Dad.

Many thanks