Author Topic: US Social Security index question  (Read 1483 times)

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
US Social Security index question
« on: Friday 21 November 08 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Would there be anyone able to help me with the following question regarding the 'state of issue'.

When is a person born in the USA issued with a Social Security number?

I am currently trying to trace someone born in NY in the 1920's but spent her growing up years in New Jersey.

Thanks.

KiwiRose.

Ireland:
County Antrim: Carrickfergus District: Irwin, McAllister, McNeil, Moore.
County Clare: Barrett.
USA:
Washington State: Moore, Hoyt, Sinclair, Johnson, Palmateer, Larrabee.
California: De Curtoni.
New Zealand: De Cartoni, Lofquist, Harding.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: US Social Security index question
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 November 08 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Now it's automatic:
1987 SSA initiated a demonstration project on August 17 in the State of New Mexico enabling parents to obtain Social Security numbers for their newborn infants automatically when the infant's birth was registered by the State. The program was expanded nationwide in 1989. Currently, all 50 States participate in the program, as well as New York City, Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico.

However, years ago the time and reason or application varied greatly. Often S.S. number was obtained for employment but think this would be much later than the period you are interested in. Some interesting bits of history of S.S. numbers here:
www.ssa.gov/history/ssn/ssnchron.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 November 08 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Aghadowey,

I had a look at the website you gave and it says the Social Security Act was enacted in 1935.

My understanding of that would be that someone born in the USA around 1920's would  be issued with a SS number probably when they commenced work. In the case of the person I am looking for then the issuing state would be New Jersey. Am I thinking correctly?

Regards
KiwiRose.
Ireland:
USA:

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 November 08 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Certainly S.S. number was needed for employment in 1970s, and to open bank account, but not sure about employment earlier. Will check with someone born in US who started working in mid-1940s and get back.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 November 08 22:49 GMT (UK) »
My understanding of that would be that someone born in the USA around 1920's would  be issued with a SS number probably when they commenced work. In the case of the person I am looking for then the issuing state would be New Jersey. Am I thinking correctly?

From what I understand, the state of issue from that time period would be where the person was living when they applied for a number, not necessarily where they were born. Also, a listing in the SSDI will be under the last surname the person used. You mentioned you were searching for a "her" so if the woman you are looking for did have a SSN (and not all women in that era had one) and was married you would need to search for her using her married name (unless of course she reverted to her maiden surname before she died).
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 November 08 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both Jacquie and Aghadowey,

This is the first time I have tried to trace someone using the SSDI where the family had moved states. As a long shot I was just going to put in her year of birth,  Christian name and middle initial and state of issue to see what the search engine came up with (a married name). I then wondered which state to put in as state of issue. Knowing how the state of issue system worked back then would help me possibly find her.  It would be also be useful other future searches.

Would all young woman in the 1940's who were in paid work be given a SSN?

Regards
KiwiRose
Ireland:
USA:

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 November 08 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Just had a reply. Woman born c1925 got her SS number when she was about 18 (started working 1943 so looks like around that time). Husband got his at age 16 and also got 'working papers.'
Sounds as though it's possible that your woman applied for SS number when she started to work. The state of issue is the state one is resident in at the time of application and name in the death records would be the person's name at the time of death.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 November 08 16:18 GMT (UK) »
If a person died before 1955 I don't believe they will be in the SSDI as well it should be remembered that someone who was born in the 1920s could still be alive.

Searching with a middle initial might limit the number of hits you receive as most people did not included it when they applied, in my experience.

Also, sometimes people did not apply for their SSN using their full name. For example, I've seen Archibald's whose SSN is in the name Archie and William's listed as Bill, etc.

One other thing I have seen results where a person's birth date has been off - some by a day or two but also some where the day/month have been correct but the year has been a different by a year or two.

If you have an exact date of birth for the person you are searching for, Ancestry's SSDI database allows you to search by that so you might get lucky although you have to keep in mind what I said above.
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 November 08 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again Aghadowey and Jaquie for your very informative answers.

I had imagined that the SSN would be in one's full name and that other information would be accurate with the applicant( in the 1940's) being the person named. As with all records it looks like there can be inaccuracies and name variations. Oh dear, nothing changes!

Regards
KiwiRose.
Ireland:
USA: