Author Topic: MacLeod/McKenzie Loch Broom  (Read 6476 times)

Offline mrsaird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MacLeod/McKenzie Loch Broom
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 August 09 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget
just to say that you were spot on with the information you gave me. I have only now got round to adding that particular items to the family tree and it all tied in with info got within the past month of the MacLeod/MacPherson connection that I had only a name and year of birth and now have another branch of the McPhersons and info on the MacLeod connection. Thanks again.
Mrsaird

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 August 09 23:20 BST (UK) »
I'm glad about that  :)

I've been familiar with  the area for about 30 years and lived there for about 10. It's very much M(a)cLeod country although it's traditionally MacKenzie land  :)

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Maggiemck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, I don't know if you saw this but on Church of Latter Day Saints site there are the following births all to the  you name

John 1 Jan 1873 at Rosemarkie
Elizabeth 25 June 1 874 Rosemarkie
Isabella Nicolson McLeod 3 May 1869 Rosemarkie
Margaret 28 December 1870 Rosemarkie
Williamina 27 March 1859 Lochbroom

Don't know if you'd seen these.
 :)
McKenzie Grant Killin Gallagher/Gallacher

Offline Maggiemck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, I don't know if you saw this but on Church of Latter Day Saints site there are the following births all to the  you name

John 1 Jan 1873 at Rosemarkie
Elizabeth 25 June 1 874 Rosemarkie
Isabella Nicolson McLeod 3 May 1869 Rosemarkie
Margaret 28 December 1870 Rosemarkie
Williamina 27 March 1859 Lochbroom

Don't know if you'd seen these.
 :)

Offline Maggiemck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 September 09 09:00 BST (UK) »
hi, sorry was having an attack of computer gremlins when I messaged you yesterday. What I was trying to say was, if you go to the family search site and type in the parents names in the advanced search, those children come up. I know the date is a bit out for your Margaret, but it does all look like the same family. Williamina's birthday looks accurate.

Hope it's the one your looking for.
Maggie :)

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 October 23 23:38 BST (UK) »
mrsaird, I realize many years have passed since your original post.  Did you find your relatives?

Is this some of them?
https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~coigach/genealogy/sou-east.htm#41morefield-25[/url]

Charles MacKenzie                   55      Crofter
Isabell   do.                              45
William   do.                             25
Janet     do.                              20
Colina    do.                              15

The site indicates: Isabell is Widowed in 1851 at Kenachrine 51-79.

Two children of Charles and Isabell; Andrewina and William, emigrate to Tasmania in 1853, see McNab 525, that listing has them resident at Morefield.  The passage cost A$4,500 in today's dollars.

McKENZIE,   William   36   M    Hired 6 February as a Labourer by Mr. R.Thompson of Mount Esk for a wage of  #50 per 12 months, with keep
Mary      26   M    Hired 6 February
Isabella  Inf. S    Hired 6 February
Andrewina (sister) 26   S    Hired 6 February as a General Servant by W.H. Bowden of O'Briens Bridge at a wage of #20 for three months with keep.

Further notes indicate:
The Parish Register says William McKenzie married Mary Matheson 6 January, 1853.

Have not yet seen William in the 1851 census, but in 1841 he was with his parents and two sisters (not Andrewina) at Morefield 41-25

Mary Matheson was with her Widowed mother in the 1851 census at Ullapool 51-109. Her parents were Duncan Matheson, sometime carter of fish from Gruinard and Ullapool to Conon Bridge and latterly InnKeeper, an occupation continued by his Widow Flora, maideb surname Tolmie.

Andrewina was in the 1851 census with her Widowed mother and two sisters near to Morefield at Kenachrine 51-79.
William signed a Promissory Note before leaving Scotland, see hire.htm#9

Rod Edmond notes that William and Andrewina were siblings of Alexander MacKenzie, who had been first husband of Margaret MacLeod in the next family, McNab 526.

I am interested to know whether you found John McLeod's parents William McLeod and Margaret McLean.  Did you find their birth location?  I haven't.