Author Topic: Kavanagh's in Ireland (Eire)  (Read 8312 times)

Offline gc1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Kavanagh's in Ireland (Eire)
« on: Sunday 02 November 08 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

I am looking for any information regarding KAVANAGH's in Co Wexford Ireland (Eire)

Information I have is Laurence Kavangh (my gdad) 1894-1979 married Bridget Oakes (my gmum)1894-1982 and lived in Our Lady's Island, Co Wexford. They had 8 children including my mum Mary Collison 1928-2003.

Any information gratefully received.

Many Thanks
Gerry
(gc1)

Collison & Watts in Headcorn & Hollingborne (Kent UK) & Michigan (USA)
Kavanagh in Wexford (Eire) Michigan & California (USA)
Salisbury, Burls & Vanstone (UK & Gibraltar)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Kavanagh's in Ireland (Eire)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 May 09 20:34 BST (UK) »
found a possible marriage record on the familysearch Irish Civil index at : http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=1408347;p=2;t=searchable

Name: Bridget Oakes
 Reg dist: Wexford
 Record type: Marriage
 year: Apr - Jun 1920
 Vol. : 4 / Pg.: 435

There's only one other Bridget Oakes marriage that I found that fits the timeframe (1911 - 1928)  and that marriage took place in Dundalk

There does not seem to be matching record for Laurence. Kavanagh can be indexed as Cavanagh, Cavanaugh etc... so maybe trying variations would confirm the match. If that Bridget marriage record looks possible then it might be worth the gamble to order that cert and see if the details fit. 

The GRO website is at www.groireland.ie

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 May 09 21:00 BST (UK) »
Griffith's Primary Valuation - Co. Wexford - 1853

Oakes families lived in the following parishes ...

Monamolin, Monart and Templeshanbo 

Kavanagh families were found in the same parishes as well as a large number of other parishes.

Offline gc1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 May 09 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Shan & Christopher 8)

Shane
thanks for the information. I am waiting to hear from someone in Eire who hopes to get me the marriage cert but I think thats the right one. Thank you. :)

Christopher
thanks for the link between the Oakes & Kavanagh's living in the same areas that should help me try and find out more about them and possibly where the families came from before moving to Our lady's Island.Thank you :)

Many Thanks
Gerry :D

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 May 09 15:13 BST (UK) »
5 Wexford Kavanaghs died in ww1 they were from Wexford Town,Glynn, Kilanerin, Ballymoney and Enniscorthy and Castletown. One Oakes died in Malta and he was from Wexford Town. This info is from the Wexford War Dead, to be published in Nov.
 Regards.
 Tom.

Offline gc1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 May 09 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Tom,

Thank you.  :)

Are the Christian names or ages mentioned or do I have to wait until it is published in Nov?

I have no knowledge of any of my Kavanagh's or Oakes serving in WWI so anything would be nice to have and share with the rest of my rellies.

Kind Regards
Gerry :D

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 May 09 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Gerry. Here you go. The image that is not included will be in the book when it comes out in Nov.
OAKES, WILLIAM. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Manchester Regiment. Unit; 11th Bn. Date of Death: 08-November-1915. Service No: 24083. Born in Wexford, Co Wexford. Enlisted in Manchester. Died in Malta. Grave or Memorial Reference: E. EA. A. 676. Grave or Memorial Reference: E. EA. A. 669. Cemetery: Addolorata Cemetery in Malta.

KAVANAGH, KEVIN. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Leinster Regiment. Unit; 1st Bn. Date of Death: 30-December-1917. Service No: 2813. Born in Wexford, Co Wexford. Enlisted in Newtownbarry. Died at Sea. He has no known grave but is listed on the Chatby Memorial in Egypt.

KAVANAGH, MARTIN. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. Unit: 7th Bn. Age at Death: 17. Date of Death: 27-April-1916. Service No: 27704. Born in Glynn, Co Wexford. Enlisted in Enniscorthy while living in Macmine. Died of Wounds. Formerly he was with the Royal Irish Regiment where his number was 11272. Supplementary information; Son of Martin and Johanna Kavanagh. Native of Co. Wexford. Grave or Memorial Reference: I. D. 6. Cemetery: Philosophe British Cemetery, Mazingarbe in France.

Image 110

KAVANAGH, PARTICK/PATRICK. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Irish Guards. Unit; 1st Bn. Date of Death: 06-November-1914 Age at Death, 24. Service No: 3509. Born in Kilanerin, Co Wexford. Enlisted in Dublin while living in Tomcoyle, Co Wexford. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of John and Briget Kavanagh of Tomcoyle, Kilanerin, Gorey, Co. Wexford. From an article in the Echo, 1915; Durning the week the War Office notified Mr John Kavanagh, Tomcoyle, Kilanerin, that no trace had yet been found as to the whereabouts of his son, Patrick Kavanagh, who was missing for some months past.
 The War Office stated that he could not be discovered in any of the German prisoners camps and therefore presumed his death. The keenest sympathy is felt through the locality with Mr Kavanagh on his affliction. His son, who was a Private in the Irish Guards, was a young man of splendid physique and was extremely popular with all classes in the district. From an article in the Enniscorthy Guardian and the People newspaper; Patrick Kavanagh, 2st Battalion, Irish Guards, killed in action at Ypres on 6th November 1914, was the fourth son of John and Brigid Kavanagh, Seaview, Tomcoyle, Kilanerin, and was aged 22 years. Some years ago he held an important position in Dublin, and subsequently joined the Irish Guards, in which he spent three years.
 Returning to his native place, he took a very active part in the volunteer question, and he was instrumental in starting a branch of the movement in Kilanerin and Pallas, and he certainly, while he was in charge of them, brought them to a good state of efficiency. At the outbreak of the war, he being in the reserve, he was called to his old Regiment, and was sent straight to the front after a few months training. He had been through several engagements, and came clear of all, but came by his death from shell fire at the battle of Ypres on the above date.
 His parents, who thought that he was either in hospital or a prisoner of war in Germany, not hearing from him, were much startled on getting the sad news on Saturday morning, the 10th inst, from the proper authorities, that he had been killed in action as far back as the 6th of November last. Grave or Memorial Reference: He has no known grave but is listed on Panel 11 on the Ypres ( Menin Gate ) Memorial in Belgium.

KAVANAGH, PATRICK. Rank: Seaman. Regiment or Service: Royal Naval Reserve. Unit: H. M. S. "Goliath. " Age at Death: 23. Date of Death: 13-May-1915. Service No: 5729A. Supplementary information; Son of Patrick and Mary Kavanagh of Kildermott, Ballymoney, Gorey, Co. Wexford. H. M. S. "Goliath" was sunk by three torpedoes from German destroyer ‘Muvanet-I-Milet’, she blew up and capsized immediately taking 570 of her 750 crew including the Captain to a watery grave. Grave or Memorial Reference: 8. Memorial: Plymouth Naval Memorial UK.

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 May 09 18:19 BST (UK) »
And;
KAVANAGH, WILLIAM. Rank: Corporal. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit: 2nd Bn. Age at Death: 27. Date of Death: 07-June-1917. Service No: 9494. Born in St Marys, Enniscorthy, Co Wexford. Enlisted in Enniscorthy. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of Aiden and Sarah Kavanagh of Fairfield, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford. From an article in a Wexford newspaper; Enniscorthy Soldier Killed; The relatives of Corpoal William Kavanagh, Royal Irish, who belonged to Fairfield, Enniscorthy, have been notified of his death which occurred on Thursday last in Belgium.
 The deceased had been at the front since the outbreak of the war. He was gassed once, and wounded once. Much sympathy is felt for his relatives in their bereavement. R. I. P. From another article in a Wexford newspaper; Killed in Action; In a letter to the mother of Corporal W Kavanagh, RIR., who belonged to Fairfield, Enniscorthy, the Lieutenant in charge of the platoon in which deceased served, states that Corporal Kavanagh, who was killed on 17th inst, died like a soldier and a man, gallantly leading his section and inspiring all around him by his coolness and devotion to duty. The men loved the deceased, which was saying a good deal for an N. C. O., and all ranks were his friends.
 Grave or Memorial Reference: Panel 33. Memorial: Ypres ( Menin Gate ) Memorial in Belgium.

KAVANAGH, WILLIAM. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Irish Guards.
Unit; 1st Bn. Date of Death: 01-November-1914. Service No: 1258. Born in Castletown, Co Wexford. Enlisted in Liverpool, Lancs while living in Cloneraney, Co Wicklow. Killed in Action. Grave or Memorial Reference: He has no known grave but is listed on Panel 11 on the Ypres ( Menin Gate ) Memorial in Belgium.

I will remove this information in 24 hours so save it to your hard drive.
 Regards.
 Tom.