Author Topic: Mccorison Farm, thornhill?  (Read 2322 times)

Offline Jerzy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mccorison Farm, thornhill?
« on: Sunday 23 November 08 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know of a Mccorison (or McCorriston) farm at Thornhill near Stirling.  My grandad was brought up there from about 1911 but I'm not sure who with. 
Stott - Angus (st Vigenas, Arbilot), Linlithgow West Lothian, Parramatter, NSW

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
Re: Mccorison Farm, thornhill?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 November 08 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Jerzy.
Could it be 'Norriestoun'. That was the name of a farming community that is now an integrated part of Thornhill. There would have been, and might still be, a farm by that name.

Cheers.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline Jerzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Apparently it is McCorriston.  It might just be that I have to wait for the 1911 census to be published as I should be able to trace my grandad that way but in the meantime I'll keep trying!  thanks anyway
Stott - Angus (st Vigenas, Arbilot), Linlithgow West Lothian, Parramatter, NSW

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 21:26 GMT (UK) »
There is an area or farm called McCorriston in Kilmadock which is probably what you are looking for? Seen some posts on the web referring to Doigs and Stewarts from there.
Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor
England - Roberts, Steel, Underhill, Brookes, Pope, Stump

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 January 09 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Jerzy - found it! Was he a Murdoch? I have connections there - back to James Murdoch b there 1771...
Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor
England - Roberts, Steel, Underhill, Brookes, Pope, Stump

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 January 09 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Have found that farrm now on an old map. It is just to the southern edge of Thornhill.
On this map though it has only one 'C' in it and is spelt 'McOrriston.

Cheers.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline Iain128

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 March 23 22:12 GMT (UK) »
There was a McOrriston Farm on the south side of the unnamed road linking the A873 at the East edge of Thornhill with the B8031 Coldoch Road.  In the 1970s it was home to Duncan MacGregor, an ENT consultant at Stirling Royal Infirmary and his family. His daughter Fiona was a couple of years below me at school and went on to study Medicine at Edinburgh University (side note : my mother lost her sapphire & diamond engagement ring on the farm while redistributing hay after a bailer failure one summer during a family visit 😁).
There was also McOrriston Stud on the opposite side of the road where I occasionally helped out at harvest time. It was run at the time by the Patterson family. Will ran the farm while Betty was a home economics teacher at McLaren High School and bred Arabian Horses.

Offline Iain128

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 March 23 11:03 BST (UK) »
Correction. McCorriston /McOrriston Stud should read Jim Patterson rather than Will Patterson

Offline Iain128

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 March 23 11:14 BST (UK) »
Photo of my sister Fiona Cregan (Forrest) riding 'Caprice' at McCorriston Stud in the 1970s. Jim Patterson, farmer, in the background.