Author Topic: Thomas McNamara 67327  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Marc Mc Namara

• RootsChat Member
  • Cumara
    • View Profile
Thomas McNamara 67327
« on: Tuesday 25 November 08 13:28 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping the more experienced amongst you can assist this novice.

I know that my Great grandfather served in the Great war as I have letters that he sent to his wife, in particular one that shares his sadness at his son, also serving, being killed in France in 1918.

Whilst I do not have any details greater than that, I do have an original document that appertains to some military service prior to the Great War, and I know he survived the war

This document is identified as an 'Army form B. 2077' which appears to be a discharge paper though it refers to a transfer to reserves.

On this document it states the following:

No: 67327 0r possibly 61321 though seven looks more probable

Name: Thomas McNamara (often mis-recorded as Mc Namara or McNarmara)

Reg: 20. (S. T) COY. SOUTH DIVN R.G.A nb. The DIVN is blotted so may be different bit the D is very clear.

Place: (assume of discharge) Fort Grange, Gosfort / Gosport?

Date May 18th 1901 or 1907?

Birth place : Dublin, Ireland

I have tried several sources with no joy.  I would welcome some direction as to where i might be getting it wrong.  i.e Where might he have been serving for his service to be concluded in 1901?

Might this be of use?  On a letter that my GGrandfather wrote to his wife when finding out that his son (Richard Thomas McNamara No: 238842 R.F.A) had been killed in 1918 - at the foot of the letter, his Sgt. added a footnote - his name was Thos. F. Botting - Might this help link / identify where he was serving?

Note: A copy of this query is posted at http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=111267&hl=

Many thanks

Marc
McNamara - Dublin             Comiskey - Dublin
Flynn - Dublin                    Dennison - Dublin
Keyes - Limerick / Dublin     Nestor- Limerick
Cunningham / Byrne - Tullamore      
Hogan - Limerick                 McCormack- Dublin
Moody - Dublin                  
Moore - Armagh                  Daly - Armagh

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas McNamara 67327
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marc

Yes, the're a pleasant lot over on the old GWF.

ST = Siege Train, and is it Gosport.

Whether he was discharged in 1901 or 1907 the answer with be the same. If his papers survive they will be in WO97 in Kew in the section for men discharged between 1900 and 1913. Being transferred to the Reserve was not the same as being discharged. Men usually transferred to the Reserve after spending 7 years in uniform. He would have been in the reserve for 5 years and so was either discharged in 1906 or 1912, hence within the same 1900 to 1913 period. The youngest he would have been to transfer to the Reserve was about 25, as service under the age of 18 did not count. So this might help to interpret the date. If the number has a long tail it is probably a seven. Most were written with a tiny horizontal bit at eth front. 1s usually stop on the line.

You will have to visit Kew to check in Series WO97 or wait to Findmypast to publish them in 2011. It he re-enlisted by WW1 he would also certainly have been given a new number. The only connection will be that on the front page of his WW1 papers it will give his previous RA experience.

Here is a useful link - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/army/step4.htm

Ken