Author Topic: Moyes 'ancestors'  (Read 5349 times)

Offline valenzed

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moyes 'ancestors'
« on: Tuesday 25 November 08 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I'm new to this forum (or any for that matter) and would like help with a brick wall I've come up against.
My ggf Andrew Moyes was born in Dunfermline in 1849. I'd fondly imagined that I was descended from a long line of Moyes's, but Andrew's marriage (to Agnes Haxton on 3 Dec 1866) certificate states that his mother was a Mrs Simpson, deceased, and his father unknown.
The 1851 census has him living in Dunfermline with James and Jean Moyes and listed as 'orphan'. By 1861 he is a 'boarder' in the household of James and Elizabeth Moyes. They appear to be the witnesses at his marriage.
If anyone can throw any light on this, I would be most appreciative.

Valenzed

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Moyes 'ancestors'
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valenzed

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Have you got his death certificate - it may well enlarge of the full name of his mother?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 00:54 GMT (UK) »
These are Submitted records on the IGI - but, have a great air of truth about them, and can be pretty much 'seen'  by a quick checking of Census and Scotlands People:

James MOYES born 28 Dec 1824 Dunfermline, died 7 Nov 1891
Son of David MOYES and Mary ALLAN

Married 1) : on 16 Aug 1845, Dunfermline
to:
Jean HUTTON born  abt 1823 Dunfermline, died 17 Jan 1860, Golfdrum, Dunfermline,
dau of John HUTTON and Jane WHITE (WHYTE)

Married 2) on 17 Dec 1860 Dunfermline
to:
Elizabeth RUSSELL born abt 1828 Kirkcaldy, died 22 Apr 1899 Dunfermline
dau of John RUSSELL and Catherine McINTOSH

Further checks show James' first wife Jean  HUTTON  probably died in or as a result of childbirth with their last child Jemima Hutton MOYES. No doubt partly compelled due to  the motherless children and baby,  by the years end of 1860 James had remarried and the children, incl Jemima would have had a stepmother in Elizabeth RUSSELL (baby  Jemima  died in Feb 1861).

The marriage record of Agnes and Andrew in 1866 on the face of it, appears to indicate Andrew was illigitimate (no father listed) and that his mother married a SIMPSON between 1849 and 1851 but then died before the 1851 Census.

What we don't know, is if MOYES was his mother's maiden name or did he adopt the MOYES name from the people who raised him and for whom he named his children in the traditional  naming pattern.     Since it appears from Census that Andrew's 1st son and 2nd daughter were named for James MOYES and Jean HUTTON.

It is very likely though,  Andrew's mother is blood related to either James MOYES or Jean HUTTON.

The 1891 Census has Andrew and Agnes in Markinch with their children.
In 1901, just Agnes and children, in Auchterderran - was she listed as a widow?

The only death I can see to fit anywhere near  for Andrew MOYES 1891 to 1901,  is in Marckinch 1894 age 52 - but that would make a year of birth 1842-ish.
Altogether 3 x Andrew MOYES died in Fife between 1891 and 1901.
1 was aged between 1 and 20
1 was aged between 50 and 60 (ie: in 1894 age 52)
1 was aged between 70 and 80

The 1891 Census for Fife (not in Markinch) does have an Andrew MOYES b abt 1842 but he is still alive in 1901.

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline valenzed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 08:54 GMT (UK) »
WOW!
Thanks, AMBLY. What a lot of information to digest. I don't have a death certificate for Andrew Moyes. I have the census information from 1851 to 1901, and also assumed that he had died between 1881 and 1901. A foray into Scotland's People might be worthwhile. Agnes is listed as head of the household in 1901, occupation housekeeper - for six miners, which couldn't have been easy.
I can see I'll be spending more time on the computer, as well as sorting out what I already have.

Cheers
Valenzed

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 December 08 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Another possibility is that Andrew was placed with the family by the Church and James and Jean were paid to care for him. I believe the Dunfermline Library holds Kirk Sessions records for that period. There might be a reference to Andrew in it if his care was Church related.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline valenzed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 December 08 02:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestion, Jacquie. My research is a bit intermittent and haphazard, but I found a reference to the Dunfermline Library Kirk Sessions being put online, so I'll keep an eye on that. Doing research from NZ (as cheaply as possible!) makes it a little more difficult.

Cheers (and Merry Christmas)
Valenzed

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 December 08 02:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestion, Jacquie. My research is a bit intermittent and haphazard, but I found a reference to the Dunfermline Library Kirk Sessions being put online, so I'll keep an eye on that. Doing research from NZ (as cheaply as possible!) makes it a little more difficult.

Cheers (and Merry Christmas)
Valenzed
They might not charge much, if anything, to check out the records. I've requested assistance from the library a couple of times and they've been great.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline lisabyrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 20:39 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a lizzie/ elizabeth MOYES - who married a Thomas Galloway and lived in yonge street 1904 & 9 essex avenue 1908.
Thomas Galloway was a Tailor.

they had at least 2 children:
Annie Crombie Galloway - born 31 mar 1904.
William Masterton Galloway - born 29 aug 1908.

any help greatly appreciated
thanks
lisa x
Haley, Mansell, Wacey, Boyton, Lea, Lathwell, Fentiman, Bearman, Farley.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 23:28 BST (UK) »
See Lisa's own topic on her MOYES / GALLOWAY here  ;D

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=471162.msg3311148;topicseen

Note:
William Masterton GALLOWAY was born in Ontario, Canada, married in London, England and died in Essex, England.
The address' for Thomas in 1904 and 1908 are Canadian address' where the two mentioned children were born.

Cheers
AMBLY