Author Topic: Miss Lucy Jones, costumier, 1913 onwards - Resolved  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Miss Lucy Jones, costumier, 1913 onwards - Resolved
« on: Wednesday 26 November 08 11:26 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace who this individual is and whether she may be a relative of mine.

My great grandfather Alfred John Jones was a tailor in the early 1900s. In the 1915/16 Wrights Directory of Nottingham his address is recorded as 49 Radford Boulevard. Also at this address is a Miss Lucy Jones, costumier. Her other address is recorded as Beswick Chambers, 53a Upper Parliament Street, which is also the same address as a company called Jones Brothers, tailors. This address structure is the same in the 1913/14 Wrights Directory except there is no Jones Brothers company. Lucy does not feature in the 1910/11 Directory.

The dilemma is that Lucy does not appear to be direct or even extended family (as far as I can see) nor does my great grandfather appear to have had any relatives in the tailoring trade (as far as I am aware). I do not know how old Lucy is or where she was born. There is a very 'slightly possible' in the 1901 census but that is only down to location (born in Shropshire then resident in Nottingham) but I can not find any family connection at all.

My question is: do I have enough information here to be able to find out significantly more about her through other sources, such as electoral roll or property leasing records? I live nowhere near Nottingham, so libraries are not an option, and the archive centre seems to have very hefty research charges, especially for what could turn out to be speculative searches.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Clive
Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Miss Lucy Jones, costumier, 1913 onwards
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 November 08 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clive,

Just a thought, but you could always email Nottingham Library, the Local History Dept is always so helpful there, they might be able to help, or it might be worth running it passed the Nottingham Archive, as they too seem happy to look into their store, and email folk.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes,
Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 November 08 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clive
Have you discounted the Lucy Jones in 1901 census, aged 8, born & living in Nottingham. She would be around 23 in 1915 and could be in business on her own account. I have no money left on my 1901 ticket  Ahhhhhh! to check on the details of her family.
Eric
Beeston, Whithead & Towle
Allesley, Bloxham from c. 1815
Foleshill, Gee (Jee) Adams Millerchip
Burton Dassett, Bloxham to c. 1815

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 November 08 18:41 GMT (UK) »
That is one of the 'slight possibles', Eric. Alfred John Jones was born in Radnorshire as was Lucy's father in this 1901 entry (RG13/3168 Folio 77 Page 4) and he was a coal miner rather than a tailor. I can not find any family connection, though. The problem is the surname - I think it is possible to make speculative links between almost any Jones from anywhere - believe me I have.

It may be that Alfred and Lucy are not related at all, which is why I am just looking for just one clue that may give me her age and help me narrow down the options.

Thanks
Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Miss Lucy Jones, costumier, 1913 onwards - Resolved
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 July 09 13:40 BST (UK) »
Rather a mundane outcome to this query but it is finally resolved, nonetheless. I was browsing through various Kelly Directories in order to track Lucy's business locations through the years (fortunately she never married) when I came across a 1941 entry, which displayed her home address as well as her business address. That was 2 Bucklow Close, Whitemoor, a sheltered housing complex, I have since discovered. It is also the address on the death certificate of my great aunt Ruth Jones, who died in 1945 a spinster.

So, Lucy Jones was actually Ruth Jones 1880-1945. She was registered at birth and death as Ruth and appeared in the 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 census as Ruth and explains why I have not been able to connect any Lucy Jones with this family. Perhaps she changed her name officially or perhaps it was her professional name; either way that particular problem may never be resolved. It does explain, though, why there is a family memory of Lucy but no one remembers Ruth.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Clive