Author Topic: Argyle & Sutherland highlanders  (Read 1017 times)

Offline angela c

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Argyle & Sutherland highlanders
« on: Thursday 27 November 08 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello, this is my first post although I have been reading this forum for a long time and hope someone may be able to answer my query!

My grandfather was born and brought up in Liverpool (actually born, lived, and died in the same house!). In WW1, he was in the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders.

Would he have to have Scottish parents to be in this regiment?

Trying to trace his father and it would help if we were certain he was Scottish. Have traced Grandfather's mother and she was not Scottish but I believe that his father must have been Scottish for him to join this regiment.

If anyone can confirm or deny this, it would be a tremendous help. Many thanks.

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Argyle & Sutherland highlanders
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 November 08 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Would he have to have Scottish parents to be in this regiment?

No, it didn't/doesn't work like this.
He may have had a Scottish link, but equally possible he may not.  :(
Sorry, doesn't really help you.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline LJReb123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 November 08 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Morning

I think it's much more likely than unlikely he had Scottish roots probably to the West Coast or Glasgow. But it depends when he entered service, as a volunteer or as a conscript. If you post his details we could firm up for you.

regards

David

The correct title is 'The Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders' (no offence intended).

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 November 08 11:08 GMT (UK) »
I think it's much more likely than unlikely he had Scottish roots probably to the West Coast or Glasgow.

Check it out and follow it up of course, but this is pure speculation at the moment. If he was born, lived and died in Liverpool, it's just as likely he had Liverpool roots.

Even in peacetime, soldiers didn't always join their local regiments.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline angela c

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 November 08 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Neil and David, and thank you for your responses.

I'm sorry, I don't know if my grandfather volunteered or was conscripted.

He was John McDonald, born 1885, but always called himself John Franklin McDonald (we don't know why). Both his parents died within a month of each other when he was 3 and he was brought up (in the same house!) by his mother's aunt.

His father was also called John McDonald. His death certificate in 1888 gives his occupation as gas company siphon man and his age as 48, which, if accurate, gives us 1839/40 as when he was born.

His 2 marriage certificates (1878 and 1885) give his occupation as mariner. He had also been married prior to these marriages.

There is no sign of any of the family in the census of 1881 and finding him in 1871 is so difficult - which is why I was hoping to establish that he may have been Scottish. There are so many John McDonalds, and of course, he may have been at sea!

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Angela