Author Topic: 1915 WW1 Record  (Read 3139 times)

Offline Yorvick

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
  • New Life
    • View Profile
1915 WW1 Record
« on: Friday 28 November 08 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Harry Forester joined the Army in 1915, these are the details.

Enlisted 1915, birth abt 1878, married 7/12/1900 Harriett Harding, Old Clee Church, Grimsby. His child is Alice Cornwraithe. Occupation Fish Merchant.

I can not find the child's birth to Harry or Harriett.  There is no age or DOB recorded for Alice.  This was written above Alice's name.

"B/C not obtainable. R.P not paying any Sep allowance. 4-2-18. Signed H. Bradshaw"

If anyone cld help it wld be appreciated - what does R.P stand for, Sep = Separate or September and why dated 3 years later. 

The whole thing has me rather confused, as there is no record of marriage, no birth, but I can not imagine a man not telling the truth re next of kin when facing the horror's of war.

Thank you

Yor
Forester, Ireland, Lincs and Yorkshire,
Kerss,  Anderson, Cruickshank, Kerss, Crailing and Roxburgh in general, Scotland
Brusey, Penny (Penney) Tuckerman, Short, Doust, Brixham Devon, Lincs and Yorkshire
Pitts, Wells, Corringham, Poland, Screeton, Hazwell, Fussey, Hale, Linklater, Lincs and Yorkshire.
Kent, Ipswich and Lincs
NZ -    Kerss, Watt, Watts, McKinnon, Swan, Irwin, Gordon and Manning

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1915 WW1 Record
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 November 08 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Yorvick,

I haven't had a chance to go into the finer detail, but here are the abbreviations, as I see them:

RP = Regimental Paymaster
Sep = Separation

http://www.rootschat.com/links/04yt/

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yorvick

• RootsChat Extra
  • New Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 November 08 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that - feel such an idiot - makes so much sense, I should have been able to work that out myself - brain must have been working back to front again.

Thank you very much appreciated.

Yor
Kerss,  Anderson, Cruickshank, Kerss, Crailing and Roxburgh in general, Scotland
Brusey, Penny (Penney) Tuckerman, Short, Doust, Brixham Devon, Lincs and Yorkshire
Pitts, Wells, Corringham, Poland, Screeton, Hazwell, Fussey, Hale, Linklater, Lincs and Yorkshire.
Kent, Ipswich and Lincs

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 November 08 22:27 GMT (UK) »
 ;D

I'm having no more luck than you on the family details.
Don't worry about the three year gap; he wasn't mobilised until April 1917, when it looks like they originally checked his details. (I can see 27/4/17 and a signature under the marriage).

Have you checked the full GRO Index for the marriage?

As far as Alice Cornwraithe goes; a very clever play on words  ???
I've tried several variations of Cornwraithe on FreeBMD, using all types and all years and can't find anything.

At least the church exists.  :)

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yorvick

• RootsChat Extra
  • New Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 November 08 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Phil - I think Alice was not his child, I have e-mailed a cousin and asked him to ask his 90 year old Dad and see if he can remember anything?

You have cleared up RP and Sep so that has made a huge difference - had me befuddled - lol

Ty

Yor
Kent, Ipswich and Lincs

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 November 08 08:46 GMT (UK) »
When a man went overseas they automatically deducted 6d a day for the wife, and 1d a day per child up to a maximum of three children, although a man could elect to pay more.

If he died in service his widow would get a pension based also on how many children he had, hence the reason the army wanting proof. It doesn't mean he died. They just did it for everybody before he went overseas.

On FreeBMD there is a marriage in 1900 in Grimsby of an Anthony Harry Forester, but not to a Harriett. It looks like he married Rose Ethel Gray as there is a Rose E Forester in the 1901 Census in Cleethorpes. No sign of him though. Maybe he was away fishing.

Ken

Offline Yorvick

• RootsChat Extra
  • New Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 November 08 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Ken,

Thank you for that information, they where a big family with many cousins all involved in the fishing trade and I have yet to be successful in finding all of the men on any of the census's, but I am told November to early June was the height of the fishing season as after that it was too hot and the fish would spoil easily, particularly in the earlier days.  In 1901 Harry (Henry) is with his Mum Annie and noted as being single..............!!!!???

All of you have been so helpful, thankyou, you knowledge of the army procedures has really cleared up a lot of things for me.

Yor
Kent, Ipswich and Lincs

Offline pike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 December 08 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Just to confuse you more

According to the marriage he didn't marry Harriet HARDING this is the entry

Old Clee Parish Church Grimsby   07/12/1900   
FORESTER   ANTHONY HARRY   19   fish merchant   30 Phelps St   ANTHONY   master mariner   
GRAY   ROSE ETHEL   21   39 Cosgrove St   WILLIS   labourer   
WIt:   ESTHER FARMERY   RUTH FARROW

There is a marriage of a Harriet HArding

St. Andrew's Grimsby   07/01/1896   
HOLLINGSWORTH   ALFRED   19   fisherman   141 Newmarket St   WILLIAM   soldier   
HARDING   HARRIET   18      --   same address   FRANCIS   fisherman   Wit:   JAMES CORRIGAN   ISABELLA SMITH   

Offline Yorvick

• RootsChat Extra
  • New Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes - totally correct - I am now very confused.  Why has he put what he did no his service records.

Thank you for that (I think, lol) - where did you find that information - I am very grateful for your help!

Will now go back to the drawing board - oh dear - thank you

Yor
Kent, Ipswich and Lincs