Author Topic: Why is everyone moving everything?  (Read 8186 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Why is everyone moving everything?
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 04 December 08 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Can I just reiterate (once more) that Completed doesn't equal Closed?

Posts that have been answered and subsequently moved to the board for Completed requests are still available to search engines and Rootschat search and they are OPEN to additional responses indefinitely.

This means that whether Rootschatters want to post additional information 37 minutes or 37 months after the post is made - they still can.

Really the issue of the post being moved - is not an issue - it makes no difference to the OP or anyone wanting to answer, just keeps the Look-up boards a wee bit tidier.

I can't believe the fuss this causes  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 05 December 08 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Can I just reiterate (once more) that Completed doesn't equal Closed?

Posts that have been answered and subsequently moved to the board for Completed requests are still available to search engines and Rootschat search and they are OPEN to additional responses indefinitely.

This means that whether Rootschatters want to post additional information 37 minutes or 37 months after the post is made - they still can.

Really the issue of the post being moved - is not an issue - it makes no difference to the OP or anyone wanting to answer, just keeps the Look-up boards a wee bit tidier.

I can't believe the fuss this causes  :)

Gotta believe it AR - cause it happens:)

One is much more likely to get answers to queries from RC members - not from Google searchers. Google searchers are usually looking for their own roots & respond to posts related to their families.  RootsChat members use their knowledge to answer questions unrelated to their own families, using their general genealogy knowledge.

RootsChat members DO NOT look at completed boards, whether they are closed or not. Some forums "bump" a post once, if no answer is received, that is also a viable option, which can remind chatters that they missed a post.

Threads without recent posts drop to the end of their boards - that is a very good method of keeping the boards tidy and needs NO work by moderators.

It seems like job creation for want of something to do, moving and asking - and if I had  been 5 minutes later checking the oz board the query would have been lost - and  99% of the information was added AFTER it went to the completed board.

Here is my unbiased suggestion for moving posts - if indeed there is any logical reason to do this - Move any post that has been answered, but has had no further answer for a month. Don't ask just do it. Bump an unanswered post once.

Look at the current immigrants to Oz board - it contains 59 pages of posts. All bar 3 pages  are more than a month old - why move the one that is 37 minutes old and retains those not modified since 2004  ???

And why be so defensive - since my opening post - every moderator replying has gone to lengths to say it is right to move posts -  but the only reason seems to be to "tidy up". A forum designed to maintain threads by the most current date of posting,  has an inbuilt tidy up system, which works just fine.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 05 December 08 00:35 GMT (UK) »
In relation to Nell's post

Is it alright to allow the team who look after things here to breathe without reading an objection if they do? 

Please......... remember none of us is perfect and mistakes do happen.

I used an obvious example that impacted me (most people use examples from their own mindset) - I was not being critical of any  moderator (as I said way back when) - I am critical of  a system that seems to insist moderators should continually move posts. 

I had best be quick to add, moving posts when they have been placed on the wrong board for their topic is completely different to moving posts because they may be "complete"

Trish

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 05 December 08 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Of course - breathe away!  ;D

Sorry if my input appeared to be petulant - certainly not intended. It was meant to be constructive.

I understand the need to clear out old threads. I was just suggesting it can be a bit quick sometimes!  :) I guess it's impossible to ask the poster "are you happy it's all answered?" before closing it. A tricky call.

meles

Hi Meles

Can you please explain to me about "clearing out old threads". Don't they clear themselves out when they drop to the bottom of the list  ??? 

Trish

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 05 December 08 00:53 GMT (UK) »
It seems to me that the problem is arbitrarily moving posts into a pile that is labled "completed."  The decision to call a thread completed should be made by the OP because it implies that the OP is satisfied with the results and that no further action is necessary.  As Trish pointed out, why would RootsChatters search through such a pile for posts where they might be able to provide additional information.

If tidiness is the goal, why not have old posts with no recent activity eventually drop into a pile called "archive of older posts" or some such.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 05 December 08 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Erato

We mainly agree  :)  so it's nice to have a moving soul mate  ;D - but I also think the "completed" just makes work for everyone - as does the posting "Is this thread completed", as does the moving.  Half the time the OP is no longer a RC regular & many regulars prefer researching their own and other folks roots, to updating old stuff - which has gone way down the board anyway.

I keep thinking "there must be a reason"  ???

Trish

Offline grub

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Xander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 05 December 08 02:27 GMT (UK) »
I looked at the post in question.
The original query had been answered, thus moved to completed.
The poster could then, if he/she wanted create a new topic for further information.
I have been working my way through 59+  pages of "OLD POSTS" for months, trying to decide which was completed or not.
Posters have been asked to mark them completed, when they are, so few do, thus it is up to me to decide.
No apologies, and no explanations.
It is very kind of you all to contribute your comments to this totally free web site, and many of them are appreciated.
This topic is now locked
Grub
Bayley, Dorset, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cheshire and others.
Antrobus, Somerset/Glouster
Skelton, Heslington, Yorkshire
James, Norfolk, and London
Delasalle, London area
Gravett/Grevet, Surrey
Also searching the above in Australia

“Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 05 December 08 15:43 GMT (UK) »
All,

We have a damned if we do and damned if we don't situation here.  Some members are very vocal at wanting to make "improvements" to RC because it is the way they want to work.

Give the guys a break PLEASE!

We do take your suggestions into account and where it looks like it benefits everyone we evolve.  BUT personal opinion is just that - personal - it isn't mods against members - we are trying to make a site useable for the majority.

Pam
 :)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!