Author Topic: Powel family, Dolbenmaen  (Read 3171 times)

Offline Mardeg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Powel family, Dolbenmaen
« on: Saturday 29 November 08 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Looking for the family of my great grandfather Griffith Powel born around 1806 -1809. Moved to Pembrokeshire as a young man as a quarry slater and married in 1828. Pembrokeshire censuses give his place of birth as Dolbenmaen Caernarvonshire. I have discounted Griffith Powel Bapt in Llanfihangel-y-Pennant (1813). Can anyone help please as I live 100miles from the record office.

Offline Mair

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Powel family, Dolbenmaen
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 November 08 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mardeg

Welcome to rootschat!

Could you say why this entry on the IGI has been discounted by you - do you know any other details regarding Griffith Powel.

The IGI baptismal entry is from the film of the records for the parish and on the NLW marriage bonds the possible parents' marriage can be seen too.  If you would like these details  they are

Robert Powell Bachelor Farmer of Llanfihangel y Pennant Caernarvonshire married Mary Griffiths at Llanfihangel y Pennant on November 4th 1807.

The baptism does not always mean the child's birth was that year - many couples waited for many reasons.

Mair
Rowland/s- Hughes -Caernarfornshire/Stockport Cheshire
Barnicoat - Cornwall Lancashire Stockport,Cheshire
Jones (!) - Caernarvonshire,NWales  USA - Iowa, Wisconsin, S Dakota.
Thomas - Anglesey, USA Iowa, Oregon

Offline Mardeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 November 08 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, but Griffith Powell bapt 1813 is still in Caenarvonshire census in 1841,whereas my great grandfather appeared in 1841 Pembrokeshire census along with his family.

Offline paddy418

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 November 15 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Griffith Powel was baptized 13 Dec 1809 at Dolbenmaen. He married Jane Jones on 29 Sep 1828 at Maenclochog in Pembrokeshire.  He was buried from Rosebush 20 July 1888; she on 26 Oct 1886.  His son Howel Jones Powel was born c 1842 at Little Newcastle, Pembs and died 29 Sep 1863 at   Maenofferen in Blaenau Ffestiniog.  He married Sarah Williams (my wife's gt grandmother) on 18 Oct 1862 at St David's, Blaenau Ffestiniog.
Tell me more about your connection.
Paddy Buckley

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 November 15 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Just butting in to say that the spelling 'Powel', while a little less Anglicised than 'Powell', is a vary rare form at that time (and today), and should be given preference over other alternatives in research.
                    Best of luck.

Offline paddy418

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 November 15 07:17 GMT (UK) »
The search engines are much more successful looking for Howel than ap Hywel.  They pick up what is written in the parish registers, correct or not.

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 November 15 00:33 GMT (UK) »
I wasn't referring to 'correctness'; nor was I urging a search for ap Hywel. Patronymics had more or less disappeared by this period.

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 November 15 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paddy,
Mardeg hasnt been on Rootschat since 2010. If they have the same email address they will be notified of your query.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Mardeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paddy, This is definitely my family. Howel Jones Powel was the brother of my great grandfather Griffith Powel. I agree with most of your details, however their father Griffith was married to Jane Jones on the 20th Sept ,not the 29th. I have a copy of the parish register entry which I can let you have. I am really interested in Griffith's baptism in 1809, do you have a source for this or some documentary evidence? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Derek