Author Topic: Halliwell/Helliwell & Greenwood families  (Read 3287 times)

Offline pepper-uk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Halliwell/Helliwell & Greenwood families
« on: Saturday 29 November 08 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm searching for any information about the Halliwell/Helliwell family who originated in and around Heptonstall in Yorkshire and migrated to Manchester in Lancashire.  Some of them seem to have stopped in Scarborough for a short time as well, I'm guessing that they were looking for work which was becoming short in the Hebdon region.  Almost all the family members appear to be weavers with a few exceptions and of course several conflicts necessitating the men to join the armed services.

I have got as far as William Halliwell c 1776 (Wadsworth Yorkshire) who may have married Grace Greenwood, I have no source to back this up, just the general belief of other family researchers.
It could be that this couple birthed Roger Halliwell in 1788 (Heptonstall, Yorkshire) and he may have then married Hannah Greenwood.
The only fact I am sure of is that Roger Greenwood was the father of Greenwood Halliwell who was born in Heptonstall in 1824 who subsequently married  Mary Griffiths in Manchester.

If anyone can fill in any gaps I'd be very appreciative.

Offline sam.taylor

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Halliwell/Helliwell & Greenwood families
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 February 11 09:55 GMT (UK) »
I too am researching the Helliwell and Greenwood families from Heptonstall. They intermarried at least twice (1690 & 1782). I use excel to record my family tree. If you want a copy let me have your email address and I will send it as an attachment.
Regards,
Sam Taylor