Author Topic: Tovyman ? RAF Shrewsbury c1922  (Read 3870 times)

Offline feathers

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Tovyman ? RAF Shrewsbury c1922
« on: Saturday 29 November 08 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm wondering can anybody help me with further information on the following details:

I have  unearthed a photo of an RAF guy with the title "L.A.C. Tovyman"  I think this is the surname.  The full details on the photo are:  L.A.C. Tovyman, Hut 19, No. 1 Section, M.F.R.D (I think this is right), RAF, Shrewsbury, England.  The photo I think was taken around 1922 possibly in Dublin, Ireland and I would love to find out more above the man. 

I would appreciate if someone could explain all the initials to me and if I have the correct surname.  He was always referred to as Tovy.

Thank you.
Behan, Ringsend
Kelly, Dublin
Malone, Ringsend
Murphy, Kilkenny
Woods, Kilkenny
Kinsella, Dublin

Offline Black Night

• RootsChat Extra
  • My Wife's Cat Guinness
    • View Profile
Re: Tovyman ? RAF Shrewsbury c1922
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 November 08 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Feathers just read your post . I know the the Initials L.A.C. stand for Leading Aircraftsman  the M.F.R.D. I'm not sure of yet but it will be in one of my books on the R.A.F. somewhere. As for R.A.F. Shrewsbury to my knowledge there has never been one ??? there is though R.A.F. Shawbury which is just 6/7 miles to the N/East of Shrewsbury( people do get confused by this). I shall have a look and see what I can find about the M.F.R.D. and get back to you, have you any more on L.A.C. Tovyman  i.e. where he came from, age, etc.
  BN

Offline Black Night

• RootsChat Extra
  • My Wife's Cat Guinness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 November 08 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again Feathers  looking at my records it seems R.A.F. Shawbury closed down in 1920 after WWI but opened up again just before the start of WWII  so  1922 seems to late  for you photo. Or to early if it was  pre or post WWII.  BN

Offline feathers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 November 08 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Black Night, thank you so much for all your help.  Any is much appreciated.  I took a guess on the year of the photo because it is part of a love story in Dublin and the oldies have told me that it was when the Black & Tans were in Dublin so I assumed the date but the photo could have been taken any time.  However, Mr. Tovy was in Dublin in 1922 with my great aunt.  They were very much in love and were engaged.  He even converted to Catholicism and was baptised and made his Confirmation but unfortunately my great aunts father made her make a choice.  They never married.  However it is a story of lost love that has passed through my family for years and I was so excited to find this photo in my grandmothers belongings.  It is handwritten on the back with the details that I put up so possibly he meant Shawbury.  I would love to find out a little more about him.  Thank you for taking the time to look for me - I appreciate it.  I suppose I am an old romantic who doesn't want to let it all get lost in history.  I know no more about the man, full name, address or anything so hopefully something else will come up.  Thank you again.
Behan, Ringsend
Kelly, Dublin
Malone, Ringsend
Murphy, Kilkenny
Woods, Kilkenny
Kinsella, Dublin

Offline feathers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 November 08 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Black Night.  Have just been speaking with my mother who is quite elderly and she has remembered that his family were from Tidsworth (this is how it has been pronounced don't know if it's right).  Apparently my great aunt was to go there with him to see his family who lived there and they were all waiting for them.  Apologies for the bits and pieces but Mums head is not as clear as it was and coming in bits and pieces.  Maybe this bit of information can help you more. Thank you very much. :)
Behan, Ringsend
Kelly, Dublin
Malone, Ringsend
Murphy, Kilkenny
Woods, Kilkenny
Kinsella, Dublin

Offline s.g.d.

• RootsChat Senior
  • THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF SHROPSHIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 November 08 20:39 GMT (UK) »
hello,

There was a R.A.F. BASE IN Shrewsbury but I think that it was probably referred to as R.A.F. Monkmoor.

s.g.d.

Offline Black Night

• RootsChat Extra
  • My Wife's Cat Guinness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 December 08 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Well done s.g.d. your right there was a R.A.F. Monkmoor a runway was established  before the WWI. and so the records show closed in 1919. It was used for Photographic Reconnaissance

Offline Black Night

• RootsChat Extra
  • My Wife's Cat Guinness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 December 08 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi feathers there's a North Tidworth in Hampshire. on the A338 south of Marlborough this could be where he came from . The name Tovyman is a good one, the only one I could find on Ancestry in Hampshire was a Merlin A Tovyman. That was a record of his Marrage  to a lady with the surname Booth1895  so it can't be him? or could it? I'm still struggling with the  M.F. R. D.  I'll get back to asap. BN

Offline feathers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 December 08 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Black Night - thank you so much for your help. I'm excited that you found a Tovyman in the area, firstly that there is a name and secondly that it could possibly be my Tovymans parents.  That would fit if they married in 1895 and he was in his twenties in c1922.  I wonder if I could trouble you to see if they had any children if you can or if you could advise me how I would find that out.  This just might be the link I was looking for.  With regard to the initials, after I got the name Monkmoor and found out that it was a reconnaissance airport, I wonder would they stand for Military Field/Flying Recon Div???  It would also add some weight to the story of why my great aunts father didn't want her to associate with him if he was perceived as a spy given the political climate of the time.  Thank you so much for your trouble.
Behan, Ringsend
Kelly, Dublin
Malone, Ringsend
Murphy, Kilkenny
Woods, Kilkenny
Kinsella, Dublin