Author Topic: Do you know Widnes lancs ?  (Read 9220 times)

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Do you know Widnes lancs ?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 February 05 08:27 GMT (UK) »
You may have already checked out this site.

http://www.pubsinthearea.co.uk/ukvillages.nsf/pubs/Widnes-Cheshire

If you can pinpoint one of the pubs closest to the area you are looking for it might be worth you giving them a ring. failing that I would contact Widnes Library.

Widnes Library. ADDRESS: Widnes Library, Victoria Square, Widnes WA8 7QY. TELEPHONE:
0151 423 4818. FAX: 0151 420 5108. EMAIL: widnes.library@halton-borough.gov ...

Hope this helps.

dinkey
TRAVIS/ROCHDALE-OLDHAM-TODMORDEN-ASHTON-U-LYNE-BURY AREAS
DALTON/WIDNES- CHESHIRE-THORNTON-FLEETWOOD

Offline earley-bird

• RootsChat Senior
  • I am ready for something...but I don't know what!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 February 05 10:27 GMT (UK) »
thanks both of you they are excellent ideas thank you for the links and address. I was tempted to put this in the lancs board but thought it would get moved here. I'll try my luck. ;) ::)

Whitchurch, Westminster / Buckinghamshire
Cooper,     Westminster
Pollard     Surrey
Earley,  Holborn London
Bruce,  London
Kangeisser  London
Lawlor, Widnes Lancashire
Hagan   Widnes Lancashire

All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only, I support copyright, a Wife, 2x children  a dobie, 2 x cats, a Tawny owl. and several mice if the drop

Offline earley-bird

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 February 05 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Quick update.
I phoned the library and a very helpful lady found a directory which listed the proprieter of the Stanley Arms as one Finton lawlor ! my GGFather result....
I only have the 1881 census return listing him there in 1881 . This proves he was there at least as early as 1876 according to the Worral Directory.

I now have the number for the local Historical Society and Family History Soc too  so really getting somewhere now.

The pub seems to have closed down some 10 years ago and maybe boarded up Its next to St Marys church apparently so either you went to church then to the pub afterwards or maybe you never got as far as the church depending upon which direction you were coming from hee hee

Do hope I can get a picture eventually
Cooper,     Westminster
Pollard     Surrey
Earley,  Holborn London
Bruce,  London
Kangeisser  London

All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only, I support copyright, a Wife, 2x children  a dobie, 2 x cats, a Tawny owl. and several mice if the drop

Paul E

« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 February 05 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Excellent news!  Worth searching to see if that trades directory is on the net (genuki has a lot).
Theres bound to be someone out there with a piccie - maybe a letter to a Widnes newspaper will glean one?

cheers

Paul

Offline maureen gill

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 19:14 GMT (UK) »
I know there was a hotel called the Waterloo in existence in 1871 .It was located on Waterloo road, Widnes. My husband's ancestor was living right nextdoor!!
Maureen

Offline earley-bird

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi maureen
welcome to rootschat.
3 weeks ago I knew almost nothing about Lancashire but with the generous help of  members I am now starting to find out quite a lot about this place.
What is your family name you are researching in Widnes?
Mine is lawlor.
I have found the widnes Library very helpful indeed The Librarian looked up the  Parish registers for St Maries Widnes which is the Catholic Church next door to the Stanley Arms where my ancestors lived in 1880s
The local Widnes family history help group have also been marvelous too and have found a couple of relatives that I did not know about. The links are further up the thread kindly supplied by dinkey
Cooper,     Westminster
Pollard     Surrey
Earley,  Holborn London
Bruce,  London
Kangeisser  London

Offline smog

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 March 05 23:10 GMT (UK) »
I know widnes lancs....now cheshire as i live there.You mention the Stanley Arms. The only pub of that name Iknow of was known  As The stanley which was demolished to make way for B&Q .It stood along side the old foundry in the lugsdale area.Lugsdale is also referred to as "new town"years ago as it was a victorian new town !
 this may help....just came across this site browsing. the road behind B&Q I know as lugsdale road .sorry got no photos try contacting widnes weekly news .it often has old widnes articles

Offline earley-bird

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 18 March 05 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Smog
welcome  :)

I managed to get a great picture  of the pub from the Widnes family History Society who have been absolutely brilliant and sent me lots of information and carried out some extensive research for me. I cannot recommend them too highly.

The Stanley Arms was No 46 and stood next to the church St Maries . The pub was pulled down some years ago.
Cooper,     Westminster
Pollard     Surrey
Earley,  Holborn London
Bruce,  London
Kangeisser  London

Offline Ants9000

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile