Author Topic: 1851 census lookup request-COMPLETED  (Read 12011 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census lookup request
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 04 December 08 16:39 GMT (UK) »
yes but a Mary Wishlade (perhaps not the Mary) married Edward Hooton in Old Church St - may be also known as Wood. I have tried to look for any Mary Wood(s) who might have some relevance but no!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 04 December 08 22:07 GMT (UK) »
As a result of your pm to us, Trisha, Geoff and I have been having a think.
Geoff mused whether the two Marys could be mother and daughter! I had not thought of that at all. Their ages suggest that they could be with Mary (1) being a very young mother 16-19 yrs when she had Mary (2).
If this hypothesis were true, they would both be Wishlade and perhaps then there was a Mr Wood before Mr Hooton and she may not have married either.

There is a dilemma in the fact that Mary (2) retains her name and single status until 1901 and Edward is a widower in 1871- he dies in 1877, I think.

Can anyone find Edward in 1861? There is a Mary Hooton death in 1869, aged 77 yrs but surely even if he wasn't married to her, he would not have married her daughter when she was still alive  ???

The son Edward, 1818 never seems to be around.

As Edward on his marriage to Mary is a farmer and as Edward in 1871 is a retired farmer, I wonder if there are any wills around?

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 05 December 08 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Looking at things from another angle, did Edward HOOTON and Mary (married 1862) have any known children?
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline TrishaG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 05 December 08 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
the known children I always thought they had wereJohn b c 1826 who married Jane Wenham,Elizabeth b c 1825 who married Joseph Wenmar,Caroline bc 1831 b William Rudkin,Eliza bc 1832,Selina bc 1833,James bc 1836.However All those dates and marriages have come from these searches ,my relative always thought they had these children later,we now know better,so perhaps they didn't have any children of their own at all.The Mary who was married to Edward Hooton in the 1841 is very important.We must find out if she married Edward and her maiden name.It would answer at lot of questions ie if she is the same woman as Mary Wishlade.
As for Mary 1 being Mary 2's mother ,it's a very interesting hypothesis and worth going into.It would explains why there's 2 Mary's from Eastbourne.
Heywood,I didn't quite understand what you meant by "they would both be Wishlade then there was a Mr Wood Before Mr Hooton ".Can you explain?I think it must be my cold  it's making my head a bit thicker than usual-lol
Having written this all out long hand last night(my printer doesn't work)I agree that Edward Hooton and the Mary's needs to be found in 1861(with their ages given and who lives with them).
Trisha ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Trisha ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 05 December 08 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Here are their burials at Deeping St James
7 March 1869 Mary HOOTON (76)
15 Feb 1877 Edward HOOTON (89)

We are still missing them in the 1861 census.

Offline TrishaG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 05 December 08 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
could someone give me the ages of Mary Wishlade,servant(Deeping Fen) in the 1861,71, 81, 91 and if she's alive 01 census.I think she was given to me before but not the ages.
The same goes for the other Mary Wishlade/Hooton in the same censuses(if we've found her/I'm trying to do a chart to prove Geoff's hypothesis of mother and daughter relationship.It might seem long winded but it makes me feel a whole lot better seeing a good old fashioned chart at the moment.Even if it  doesn't prove that I have it on paper that there's 2 of them existing at the same time.Bear with me on this,It makes me feel better,I'm poorly :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Trisha ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

By the way,I really appreaciate you all helping me on this. :-* :-* :-*

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 05 December 08 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Deaths Jun 1902
WISHLADE    Mary    92    Spalding    7a   223

1901 aged 91
1891 aged 81
1881 aged 70
1871 aged 60
1861 age 50
1851 aged 40
1841 aged "30"

For the elder one, I think we have
1841 aged "45"
1851 aged 57

Offline TrishaG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 05 December 08 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Geoff,
one question,
are we sure that the 1901 Mary Wishlade was the servant one? I say this because of the granddaughter she's living with.The girl is Mary Elizabeth Wishlade daughter of John Wishlade and Selina Wollerton.In otherwords stepgrandaughter to Edward Hooton from the marriage of Mary Wishlade and EdwardHooton in 1862.I didn't think that Mary Wishlade was the servant.
I don't think the ages match.
We have a servant Mary Wishlade,also born in Eastbourne,Sussex who is on the farm of John Waltham from 1841/1871 ,1881 is retired,what is she shown as in 1891 and where is she?(I know she lives alone).She is aged:-
"30"-1841
40-1851
50-1861
60-1871
70-1881
81-1891

Then we have the Mary who is living with Edward Hooton as Mrs Hooton also from Eastbourne.Ages
"45"-1841
57-1851

Then the extranious Mary Wishlade who is the Mother of Frances,John and Bales Wishlade aged 91 in 1901(which makes her b 1810)which means she is the one who married Edward Hooton on the marriage certificate of 1862 in St Pancras and died in 1902.But which one is she?

Up to 1860 she looks the right one but after that the ages are wrong because she's married to Edward Hooton and the mother and daughter idea goes out the window.Suppose Edward married or lived with her mother,he couldn't have married the 1st Mary's daughter-could he?I have sumised that right haven't I?Anyway,It can't be right because a Mary Wishlade continues to work for Mr Waltham at Deeping Fen in 1871.
Edward Hooton needs to be found with his wife Mary on the 1871 census,unless that was him with William and Caroline Rudkin.If it was I don't  remember it being said if he was Married or a widow.If he as married where was Mary in 1871 if she wasn't with him?
I have absolutely no idea who the burial for Mary Hooton in 1869 was for unless he was a bigamist and it's the 1st older Mary Hooton.
Somebody needs to help us with the Eastbourne marriage and baptism registers for 1788-c1825.
The earlier era to 1810 covers the miss Wishlades birth and will discover who Mr Richard Wood might be.Later on covers a possible marriage of Mr Hooton to a Wishlade(as none,we know took place in Lincs).I don't however think they married.
HELP.

Trisha ;D
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 05 December 08 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Heywood,I didn't quite understand what you meant by "they would both be Wishlade then there was a Mr Wood Before Mr Hooton ".Can you explain?

I just meant that Mary Wishlade gave birth to Mary Wishlade in Eastbourne then at some point Mr Wood arrives to be the partner of the older one and then he is followed by Edward Hooton (sall supposition) - hence the name Wood at times.

Another thing Trisha- there seem to be 2 Johns - so the one who Edward is with is his son (older than the other one). Mary Elizabeth is (I think) the daughter of John who is the son of the 2nd Mary.

Mary (2)'s age is consistent all the way through.
Mary (2) we are thinking but may be totally wrong is the mother of Frances , John and Bales and Frances and husband were witnesses at the marriage of Mary and Edward.

I wonder if it would be good to get the death certificates Geoff has quoted to see if there is a next of kin.