Author Topic: Baptism/Birth of Ernest Joseph SULLIVAN in BROCKFORD  (Read 1410 times)

Offline sue6591

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism/Birth of Ernest Joseph SULLIVAN in BROCKFORD
« on: Wednesday 03 December 08 02:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

May I please request a look-up for the baptism of Ernest Joseph SULLIVAN about 1873. According to the 1901 census he was born in Brockford, Suffolk, however on that census his name was just Joseph Sullivan. He cannot be found on the 1881 and 1891 censuses. In 1902 he married Edith Emily Tiplady in Bury St Edmunds.

If possible if would like to know the names of his parents and also siblings.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sue
Aplin, Chard, Somerset
Ford, Brentford,Middlesex
Head, East Tytherley, Hampshire
Hodge, Little Chart,Kent
Collyer, Normandy, Surrey
Love, Chardstock, Devon
Parris, Chardstock, Devon
Keates, South Bersted, Sussex
Wheatland, Thakeham, Sussex
Morris, Newport Pagnell, Bucks.
Guyett, Andover, Hants.
Guyett, Brentford, Middlesex
Wakeford, North Chapel, Sussex
Cox, Northamptonshire

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism/Birth of Ernest Joseph SULLIVAN in BROCKFORD
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 02:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,  If you bought his marriage cert. you'd get his father's name and occupatioon that way.

If you search freebmd for his marriage it will give the year, quarter of the yr, and marriage place with reference nyumber for ordering.  Costs 7GBP and is a great help.
The free bmd would also have Ernests birth info.

And also, welocme to rootschat ;D

charlotte

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sue,

Brockford PRs are under the parish of All Saints, Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford.
They run from 1556-1900 on 26 fiche and are available at the SRO and have been filmed so may be available to your local LDS centre.

Brockford is a tiny village and nowadays known mostly for the Museum to the Middy Line - Mid Suffolk Light Railway http://www.mslr.org.uk/

There is a volunteer for Wetheringsett at the Suffolk Parish Look Ups Exchange at www.suffolk-surnames-list.co.uk

Pat ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline amber39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sue

I have been unable to find a birth for Ernest Joseph Sullivan registered under either name in 1872,1873, 1874 or 1875.
I have however found his marriage to Edith Emily Tiplady as you said in Bury St Edmunds in 1902 Ist quarter and the reference you need for a marriage certificate is   4a 1188

Successful Hunting

Amber39
Norfolk: Copling,Coppen ,Oakley, Vertigans, Cracknell
Suffolk:  Grist, Scopes, Bullenthorpe. Knights,Watcham
Cambs.: Wilson, Andrews.
London: Monk

We must learn to regard people less in the light of what they do or omit to do, but more in the light of what they suffer.  Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought  ;)

If Mr Sullivan is a Catholic, his baptism will not be recorded in the parish registers for the established church.

If he married in Bury St Edmunds, although he is living in the CofE parish of St John,
it is likely that he married at the Catholic church of Saint Edmund, King and Martyr in Westgate Street.

http://www.stedmundkm.org.uk/

Sounds a bit like my elusive Gt-Grandad Wilson (born in Cork)  ???

Pat ...

I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline sue6591

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 December 08 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Thank you all very much for your time and efforts. We will order the marriage certificate and see where we go from there. We cannot find his birth registration on the BMD.

Sue
Aplin, Chard, Somerset
Ford, Brentford,Middlesex
Head, East Tytherley, Hampshire
Hodge, Little Chart,Kent
Collyer, Normandy, Surrey
Love, Chardstock, Devon
Parris, Chardstock, Devon
Keates, South Bersted, Sussex
Wheatland, Thakeham, Sussex
Morris, Newport Pagnell, Bucks.
Guyett, Andover, Hants.
Guyett, Brentford, Middlesex
Wakeford, North Chapel, Sussex
Cox, Northamptonshire

Offline andymking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 January 09 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,
Edith Emily TIPLADY is in my tree too - she was my Gt Grandmother's sister, so would love to link up.

I don't have any details about Ernest Joseph SULLIVAN's parents and, like you hadn't found his birth details - however your posting got me thinking...

I wondered whether his entry had been mistranscribed, or if his mother had (re)married and he took his stepfather's surname - so thought I'd search for him with a different surname.

Brockford is near Wetheringsett - which is in Hartismere district.  I did a search on Freebmd (http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/) for 1870's births for Josephs and Ernests registered in Hartismere and noticed that there's an entry for Q3 1872 for a Joseph Ernest SALNAVE - which has a ring of potential similarity.  Might be worth following up - especially as the surname SALNAVE has only two entries in Freebmd - this one and another in 1920, so I suspect it is a mistranscription.

Cheers,
Andy

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 January 09 18:15 GMT (UK) »
As I mentioned before, the PRs for Brockford would come under the PRs for the church of All Saints in Brockford (assuming the Sullivan's are CofE - although they might well be RC).

I have found an Anna Adelaide Catherine Sullivan in the Sudbury Union Workhouse (now Walnuttree Hospital) - in 1871 she was age 28 years and gives her birthplace as Wetheringsett.

I noticed a baby born in 1909 Edith Mary Sullivan in Stow District (died 1910).

The Middy Railway was one of the last to be built - and they employed Irish workers.  I wonder if the family were in Wetheringsett/Brockford for a short while?

This sounds rather like my own line of Irish named ancestors - I have two great grandfathers - one paternal one maternal.  Both were from Cork, but one (Clancy) insisted on all Census returns that he was born in St Marylebone and the other (Wilson) went off to the USA to make his fortune and although he sent for his wife and three daughters, she would not leave the UK. 

I have also found that the use of middle name as the family name is common in my Irish connections.

Supper time, better cook now  :D

Pat ...

I have to find two more!

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 20:04 GMT (UK) »
I checked the Wetheringsett/Brockford PR at the RO today, from 1870-1877 but could not see any Sullivan baptisms at all.

Regards
Anne