Author Topic: 1901 census lookup please  (Read 1545 times)

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1901 census lookup please
« on: Sunday 06 February 05 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Please could you lookup Benjamin Williams, my grandfather I have living at 18 Griffith St, Maerdy, Gla, he was born in Briton Ferry. There should be his first wife and 3 children.
Many thanks in advance.
Kind regards
Paul  Williams
Looking for Williams (Merthyr) and (Briton Ferry), as well as Abraham (Abercanaid)and Gerrard (Dorset and London)

Offline janetm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 February 05 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul have you any more details, I am bringing nothing up on any censuses for him born where you say
All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 February 05 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,
I have letters dated 1897 and 1900 which mention this address, he was born march 1868, I know he was around in maerdy 1889 till 1902 then went to Ghana 1902-1910.
I have details for 1871 and 1881 censuses in which he appears then nothing for 1891 either which I found a little strange.
Just seems odd to suddenly not appear on censuses, in 1881 he is a visitor!
in 1911 he was in Argoed with his first family still. Then between that time and 1929 he was in Sumatra and later in Australia, he had a shop there and my dad was born there in 1929, and he was married to my grandmother his second wife then.
any help would be most welcome
Kind regards
Paul  Williams
Looking for Williams (Merthyr) and (Briton Ferry), as well as Abraham (Abercanaid)and Gerrard (Dorset and London)

Offline janetm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 February 05 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul, am confused here, you say you have him on the 1871/81 censuses, I have tried to bring him up on them and nothing! can you confim his name, date of birth place of birth and name of first wife please, it probably me being brain dead here. just not getting anywhere
All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 February 05 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Is this him in 1881? There are only two Benjamin williams listed as  being a visitor in Glamorgan  ( the other one is too old, and not born in Briton Ferry)
Benjamin Williams abt 1865  Briton Ferry, Glamorgan, Wales Visitor  Llanrhidian Higher

5 Hendy Row 

Source information:    RG11/5368 
Registration district:    Swansea 
Sub-registration district:    Gower Eastern 
ED, institution, or vessel:    12 
Folio:    64 
Page:    10

The above is listed as vistor (  with the Elias family who are working in Tinplates)

Is his wife's name  Catherine? who was in  born in Essex (age 25 in 1891). You didn't really give enough info for people to work on, kids names, wife's name etc  . But there is this family below with a Benjamin who was born in Briton Ferry, around the age that you have given, give  or take three years .

There is a Benjamin williams living in  the Neath reg district in 1891 , working in the tin plates, wife Catherine , three kids
Richard T  (age 3), the other two are Jane (age 2) and John (age 1). Jane and john  are on the next page.

Source information:    RG12/4466
Registration district:    Neath 
Sub registration district:    Cadoxton 
ED, institution, or vessel:    9 
Folio:    41 )

1901 census below.  I found those  above  same names:

Benjamin Williams  36 Glamorgan  born Briton Ferry, Glamorgan Blaenhonddan Doubler In Tin Plate Works

Catherine Williams  36   Born  Essex ,Glamorgan Blaenhonddan

Richard Williams  13 Glamorgan Neath Glamorgan Blaenhonddan Labourer In Tinplate Works

John Williams  11 Glamorgan Neath, Glamorgan Blaenhonddan   

Jane Williams  12 Glamorgan Neath ,Glamorgan Blaenhonddan

( I can't view the 1901 image,  I have no credits for the gov site)
Is this the family that  you are looking for in 1891 and 1901 , or am I  totally way off track with this above family?

Best Wishes :)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline janetm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 February 05 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Have  the 1891 census image for Benjamin also have found another Benjamin on the 1881 census stopping with his grandparents,same age same birthplace have images for both (1881) cannot access 1901 image, sorry, if you would like images send e-mail by pm

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 February 05 06:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cell,
Yes he is the visitor, the other entry would be better as it would give links to his family tree showinfg his grand parents on on his mothers side but its not, he is the visitor.
kind regards
Paul Williams

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 February 05 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Cell,
census returns for 1891 and 1901, well i just do not know i do not know the name of any of his first family, if you look on any glamorgan related broad you will discover i have been searching for this information, my only document i have which mentions them is an undated reprint from the south wales echo which i now believe is from 1914, still trying to find some archive with a copy even on microfiche near to me, i know there is one in Cardiff.
Kind regards
Paul Williams

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 February 05 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Janetm.
thanks for the reply, this is what i have for the 1871 census:
1871 Census   RG10/5427   Fol  90  Page 26

Griffith Williams     47     Head
David Williams       22    Son
Margaret Williams  20    Dau
Thomas Williams    18    Son
Jane Williams         13    Dau
Griffith Williams      11    Son
BENJAMIN Williams   3    Son
William Williams        2    Son

Record shows that they were all in born in Briton Ferry, Glamorgan

Census place:  Briton Ferry

Kind regards
Paul Williams