Author Topic: Quigley family  (Read 6336 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Quigley family
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 October 21 03:50 BST (UK) »

... There is also a Mary Quigley who was buried 21 August 1895 and the best match for a death record I can find is this one, also in Belfast, Mary described as the 62 year old 'wife of John Quigley Brewer':

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1895/05925/4682629.pdf

More on this from the Derry Journal, 19 August, 1895:

QUIGLEY - August 17, at her residence, 213, Lorne Terrace, Mountpottinger, Belfast, Mary, the beloved wife of John Quigley, late of Londonderry. - R.I.P.  Her remains will be removed for interment in the family burying-ground, City Cemetery, upon arrival of train reaching Northern Counties Railway terminus, Waterside, at 2.10 p.m. tomorrow (Tuesday), 20th inst.  Friends will please accept this intimation.

DEATH OF A DERRY LADY IN BELFAST. We notice with much regret the announcement of the death of Mrs. John Quigley (formerly of the city) in Belfast.  Deceased lady was the wife of a highly respected Derryman, who for a long series of years was chief brewer in Watt's Distillery.  Mrs. Quigley, who was highly regarded, belonged to an old and well esteemed Derry stock.  Some time ago the deceased, with her husband, removed to Belfast, on Mr. Quigley's appointment to an important post there.  Much sympathy will be felt for Mr. Quigley and his family in their bereavement.  The funeral, we observe, will leave the Waterside (Derry) station for the Cemetery tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon on arrival of the 2.10 train.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 October 21 04:08 BST (UK) »

Derry Journal of 22 August 1904:  QUIGLEY - August 20, at Belfast, John Quigley, brewer, formerly of William Street, Derry. - R.I.P. His remains will reach Derry by the Belfast and Northern Counties Railway Terminus, Waterside, tomorrow (Tuesday) morning, the 23rd instant, at 9.35 o'clock, for interment in the Derry City Cemetery.  Friends will please accept this the only intimation.

More on the death of John in 1904.

Derry Journal, 22 August 1904: DEATH OF A DERRY MAN IN BELFAST. Today's obituary column contains the announcement of the death of Mr. John Quigley, an old Derry man, much and deservedly respected.  Mr. Quigley had been out of this city for some twenty years, but he will be remembered living in William Street with his wife and family for a length of time before he left Derry.  Mr. Quigley was a brewer by trade and in the employment of Messrs. Watt, Abbey Street.  He was an ardent member of the Catholic Church and an intense Nationalist, and in his own way did his part in stirring times to help on the cause in which he believed and of which he was an uncompromising supporter.  When he left Derry, he was for some time in Limavady and subsequently was connected with the Avoniel Distillery, Belfast, in whose employment he remained until his death.  Mr. Quigley had the confidence and esteem of all his employers, and his death is much regretted by them as well as by his family circle and numerous attached friends in Derry and Belfast.  The remains will reach this city for interment in the borough cemetery tomorrow (Tuesday) morning by the train reaching the Waterside terminus of the Northern Counties Railway at 9.35 a.m.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 October 21 04:36 BST (UK) »
Presumably this (below) was John in 1901, with a daughter Ellen Mulhern and a grandson Leo McCann in the household, also a wife Martha:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Pottinger/Albertbridge_Road/1214388/

Ellen Quigley married John 'Mulheron' in St. Eugene's, Derry, in 1877 and I'm assuming that a son was the one mentioned as the informant of Mary Quigley's death in 1895 (at reply #8):
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1877/11149/8083770.pdf

Leo (Leonard Augustus) McCann was the son of Michael McCann and Maria Quigley (as per the marriage at reply #4), he was baptised for that couple in St. Matthew's, Belfast, on 6 September 1891.   

The Martha in that 1901 census return was a Manchester born Martha Ann Jones, she and widower John Quigley got married in St. Matthew's, Belfast, in February 1901, John's father was recorded as also named John, 'D'(eceased):
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1901/10296/5748073.pdf

According to the PRONI Will Calendars index, it was John Quigley's daughter who administered his estate (there was no valid will): Administration of the estate of John Quigley late of 173 Daisy-terrace Templemore-avenue, Belfast, Distiller, who died 20 August 1904 granted at Belfast to Ellen Mulhern, Widow       Effects £600

Offline Malcolm173

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 October 21 18:06 BST (UK) »
This is amazing Gaffy – thank you so much for looking all this up!  I never would have found all these records and there is far more information available about the Quigley branch of our family than I was expecting.  There’s a lot to take in and I’ll go through this slowly now and follow up all the links.

I don’t know how you spotted the baptism of Charles when it’s so faint.  I can see it now and I’ve uploaded a screenshot in case it helps anyone else.

The baptism of John Quigley I’d listed as being on 21st September 1859 was, as you say, in 1851 – I misread that page from the copy of the microfilm I'd downloaded.

I’m pulling together a family history to share with our family so this will be a tremendous help.  Many thanks!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 October 21 19:23 BST (UK) »
No problem, just three more items I noticed in the newspapers... 

(1) Derry Journal, 18 November 1881: SERIOUS ACCIDENT AT THE ABBEY-STREET DISTILLERY. - On Wednesday Mr. John Quigley, brewer at Mr. Watt's Abbey Street Distillery, met with a very severe and painful accident while in the discharge of his ordinary duties in the works. It appears Mr. Quigley was going about the mash-tun, which is fitted with "travelling" machinery of considerable power, which passes over every part of the circumference of the great vessel in which the malting process is begun, and he by some means was caught by the machinery.  A workman in attendance seized him, and held him back so far as he could until the machinery was stopped and he was extricated.  Mr. Quigley narrowly escaped instant death, and, as it is, has sustained very severe injury.  One of his legs is very extensively and severely lacerated.  Mr. Quigley has been almost all his life in the same employment, and never met with any accident before, and as he is well known to be one of the most temperate and careful men, this accident is the more remarkable.  He has been attended by Dr. White and Dr. Byrne since the occurrence.

(2) Derry Journal, 14 September 1883: McCANN & QUIGLEY - September 11, at Limavady Catholic Church, by the Rev. Edward McKenna, P.P., Michael McCann, Londonderry, to Maria Josephine, fifth daughter of Mr. John Quigley, distiller, Limavady.

(3) Belfast Telegraph, 30 June 1888: SKEATH-QUIGLEY - June 28, at St. Matthew's Roman Catholic Church, Ballymacarrett, Belfast, by the Rev. J. Macaulay, P.P., Michael Skeath, spirit merchant, Belfast, to Aggie (Agnes), youngest daughter of John Quigley, distiller, Avoniel Distillery, Belfast.

The Skeath-Quigley marriage:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1888/10772/5928863.pdf

As John Quigley and Mary Boyle's daughter Margaret Quigley (b. 1869)  died in 1875, Agnes Quigley would indeed have been the youngest daughter at the time of her marriage in 1888. 

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 October 21 10:53 BST (UK) »
Just one more thing, regarding Joseph Quigley born 1864, there is a tree on the 'Ancestry' website showing that he emigrated to New York in the 1880s, he married: (1) Jane McCarren, who died; then (2) Elizabeth Mackin - he had several children to both wives.  At a glance it looks plausible, but I haven't thoroughly health checked it for accuracy, so the usual warning 'caveat lector!' applies.

What I do know for sure is that the 'FamilySearch' website has a death record for a Joseph John Quigley who died in Brooklyn on 29 October 1927, a 64 year old married timekeeper, born in Ireland, and the record does indeed identify his parents as John Quigley and Mary Boyle from Ireland:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2WRM-T7T

Offline Malcolm173

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 30 October 21 14:49 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Gaffy for all the latest information.  I didn't know about the source of cemetery records and that is particularly helpful, but so are the press extracts and the other links which provide a much more detailed background.

I found Charles Quigley in the 1901 census, who was also a brewer.  He was living with his wife, Annie, in Windmill Hill, Enniskillen.  From that I found his marriage to Annie Cinnamond, in Larne in 1892:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1892/10640/5876753.pdf

As Margaret, Mary and the first John died young it just leaves the John born in 1867, but I haven’t found a marriage records for him so far.

I’ve pulled all your birth and marriage links, together with a few others I found, into the list I’ve attached, which might make it easier for anyone else researching this family to use.  There must be a lot of descendants by now so, sooner or later, someone else may come across this and make use of it! The site doesn't allow Excel files to be uploaded so I've had to convert it to pdf, but the links should still work.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 30 October 21 16:11 BST (UK) »
Great spot on the 1892 Charles Quigley - Annie Cinnamond marriage... and the name Ellen Mulhern as a witness is a treat, it doesn't come much better than that in terms of validation.  And excellent stuff with the pdf.  :)

Offline Malcolm173

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 30 October 21 18:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gaffy!  I'm going to work on another branch now which I haven't touched for ages - in Co. Galway...