Author Topic: David ROWLAND trumpeter of Bala  (Read 8002 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David ROWLAND trumpeter of Bala
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 December 08 17:12 GMT (UK) »
I'll look into all this tomorrow, Irene. It's a bit of a puzzle    :-\

Got to go off line now for the evening.

It is quite likely that the trumpeting could be ceremonial. It does say that he's of Llanuwchllyn in the register though.

As there were 3 David Rowland plus a David Rowlands, could they have become confused. I've just used the wives's names that you've given.

I'm not sure that a joiner would become a yeoman.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget

I have been following this post with particular interest as there is a distant connection going back to the 18th century.
I would like to find out a little more if possible and wonder if you have had a chance to have another look. I appreciate it is very difficult with the patronymics sometimes in and not on other occasions.
The 'trumpeter' occupation sounds fascinating and at first I had in mind a procession with 'Druids' following in their robes but I now understand that it is not just peculiarly Welsh.  I tried phoning the local tourist board to see if they knew anything but they are operating Winter opening hours and if I have time I will try again at the weekend when they are open.

Best wishes

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter and Irene

I'm a bit busy at the moment but I'll go through all the records I have systemmatically over the next few weeks.

Patronymic->semi-patronimic ->surname and back again doesn't help and it needs a bit of concentration and thinking through.

What is your particular interest, Peter?

Tis not all those inns in Ruthin, is it  ;D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Thanks for your continuing help. I expect this lot from Bala, Llanycil etc were not the ones to frequent the pubs although on second thoughts there was a publican in Bala around 1850. I have checked as I type and it is the second of three Griffith Thomas's whose father married Hannah Evans in Llanfawr/Llanfor in 1817. He was an innkeeper in Llandderfel (The Cross Keys became a house many years ago)  It gets complicated after that! Nearly all seemed to have their first husband or wife die so there are 2 sets to look at plus the step relation having different second names because of patronynics.

I'll post if I find out some more about trumpeters.

Incidentally access to the newspapers seems to have stopped.

Nadolig Llawen

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 21:27 GMT (UK) »
 :)

Nadolig Llawen i chithau

(I think  - rusty  :) )

Gadget

Offline adj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to raise a very old topic, but I believe one of these David Rowland(s) is "my" David Rowland. 

Took me a while to make all the connections due to the variety of spellings of Rowland (Rawland, Roland, Rowlands, etc) so wasn't quite able to quite connect the dots on the census records until today.  I could only really confirm a South London and Hackney/Shoreditch connection initially until about an hour ago.

To cut a long story short, I am now looking for a David Rowland b, 1823, supposedly in Bala, though most of the census records just said Wales.  His father, according to his marriage banns (in 1847, Bethnal Green, to Sarah Ellis, b. 1819 Felsted), is David Rowland, Farmer.

I found an 1841 census which might be a match with Rowland Rowland as a brother, among many others, and mother Margaret - but not sure if that is my David Rowland.  Presumably father David the farmer is missing because he'd died a few years prior to 1841 (youngest son is listed 3 years old, putting a death around 1839-early 1841).  If I can get confirmation that Margaret's missing husband is David Rowland then I suspect I have a match.

Does this tie in with any of the David's mentioned above, or based on other Rowlands in the area at this time?

Offline imarlb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to raise a very old topic, but I believe one of these David Rowland(s) is "my" David Rowland. 

To cut a long story short, I am now looking for a David Rowland b, 1823

The David ROWLAND(S) we were discussing were born c. 1760 and 1795 respectively. The older of these 2 is still in Bala in 1841. This is a side branch for me and I no nothing more about the family.

Irene

Offline adj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly Gadget mentioned sons of David Rowland and Margaret in one of the earlier posts, I guess I need to scour through the baptisms to see what I can find there, but that looks promising.  Are the baptism records only available via FindMyPast?

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Quite frankly I had to look up quite a bit for this!Bala was not a parish on its own,it was part of the Llanycil Parish.Clwyd FHS have transcribed booklets for the Parish of Llanycil Baptisms up to 1837;
http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/publications/registers-books.htm

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk